It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal court rules that air fresheners and pro-cop stickers are a reason to pull you over

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
LOL, this is a good one.

www.alternet.org...

Court Declares Air Fresheners, Pro-Police Stickers as Reasonable Suspicion for Cops to Pull You Over
The ruling upholds the idea that police officers can profile and detain people who aren’t actually committing any crimes.

Kingsville, TX — Last Thursday, the Fifth Circuit US Court of Appeals ruled that it is suspicious for a vehicle to have air fresheners, rosaries, or pro-police bumper stickers.

The ruling stems from a 2011 Texas court case in which a couple was pulled over for having rosaries hanging from the rearview mirror, as well as a few air fresheners, and a DARE sticker on the back of the vehicle.

Nohemi Pena-Gonzalez was pulled over by Police Officer Mike Tamez when she was driving just 2 MPH over the speed limit. The officer did not pull her over because she was speeding, but because he suspected that she was trafficking drugs, and found the contents of her vehicle and the sticker to be suspicious.

Eventually, the officer questioned her husband, Ruben Pena-Gonzalez, who agreed to allow the officer search to their vehicle. The officer did not find any drugs, but did find a large sum of cash that he confiscated, and then sent Ruben Pena-Gonzalez to jail.

Recently, the case was taken to the Court of Appeals, where it was decided that Officer Tamez had reasonable suspicion to detain the family and ask to search their vehicle.

The court wrote in its decision that

“We do have concerns that classifying pro-law enforcement and anti-drug stickers or certain religious imagery as indicators of criminal activity risks putting drivers in a classic ‘heads I win, tails you lose’ position. But we need not decide whether these items alone, or in combination with one another, amount to reasonable suspicion because we find the more suspicious evidence to be the array of air fresheners and inconsistencies in the driver’s responses to the officer’s basic questions. We have long recognized that the presence of air fresheners, let alone four of them placed throughout an SUV, suggests a desire to mask the odor of contraband.”

This ruling upholds the idea that police officers can profile and detain people who aren’t actually committing any crimes. Police already profile people according to a number of different factors, and now they have confirmation that their tactics are legally acceptable.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

That's why I always hide the car fresheners ,
and keep the deodorant , underarm !
... only badasses open carry perfume .

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Being a brown noser to a cop is now suspicious? Haha

Well about time! Anyone who supports cops are a little out there now a days it seems.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
So, if you have a bumper sticker that says " I Hate Police", you get pulled over.

If you have a bumper sticker that says " I Love Police", you get pulled over.

You would have thought the founding fathers would have thought to put something in The Constitution about Freedom Of Speech or The Right To Be Secure In Yourself And Your Possessions ....

You remember The Constitution, right?

Is that old thing still around?

Also, paranoid much?
edit on 24-7-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The court actually said it has no ruling about bumper stickers or rosaries only that the excessive air fresheners though the vehicle and inconsistencies in answering questions. It is odd the article makes one claim (bumper stickers and rosaries) and then contradicts itself with the courts ruling almost like they did not bother to read it.

But we need not decide whether these items alone, or in combination with one another, amount to reasonable suspicion because we find the more suspicious evidence to be the array of air fresheners and inconsistencies in the driver’s responses to the officer’s basic questions. We have long recognized that the presence of air fresheners, let alone four of them placed throughout an SUV, suggests a desire to mask the odor of contraband.”

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I'm going to make a bumper sticker that says "I have a very indifferent attitude about law enforcement".

That'll stump 'em.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It seems these items were compiled in attempt to distract or dissuade police attention, and in doing so actually attracted it.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

We have long recognized that the presence of air fresheners, let alone four of them placed throughout an SUV, suggests a desire to mask the odor of contraband

Text

Or maybe a desire to mask dads farts,
Found no drugs but you have air fresheners so Im taking all your money and taking you to jail.

Is this really America?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I'm just sitting here, waiting to be arrested for sitting here.

See you guys in jail..

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

See you guys in jail..

Best thing I've read in a while lol.

But on a more serious note, I really can't bel... actually yeah I can believe this is happening. Pretty sad.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: soekvg

See you guys in jail..

Best thing I've read in a while lol.

But on a more serious note, I really can't bel... actually yeah I can believe this is happening. Pretty sad.

See.. Now you've gone and typed something...

Don't try to act innocent.

edit on 24-7-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

See you guys in jail..

I read that in my head with Big Smoke's voice. It was awesome.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
It seems these items were compiled in attempt to distract or dissuade police attention

Do you think!?!

I personally doubt anyone with a bumper sticker on there car that supports legalizing drugs, would be driving around loaded up with keys of coke. Or whatever it was you think these suspected 'master mind criminals' were up to.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Were they pine air fresheners, because that would be a huge red flag to me? Anyway, I thought the patriot act covered the this? Do they really need a reason to stop you anymore?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: FlyingFox
It seems these items were compiled in attempt to distract or dissuade police attention

Do you think!?!

I personally doubt anyone with a bumper sticker on there car that supports legalizing drugs, would be driving around loaded up with keys of coke. Or whatever it was you think these suspected 'master mind criminals' were up to.

Pro-police bumper sticker.

Probably some enemy of the state!
edit on 24-7-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I have a sticker on the back of my truck that says unspeakable ungodly things about Obama and then I carry a gun and I'm an NRA member and I'll shoot anybody that gives me a reason

I've never been pulled over since my times of being a stupid teenager and in 15 years have never had altercations besides telling the cops to F off and drive off to the house.

I feel so sorry for those that don't stand up for the rights and speak their goddamn mind,most men these days don't have balls to begin with I don't know how they procreate

Also, paranoid much?
edit on 24-7-2015 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-7-2015 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Yeah... apparently I'm losing it and have completely face palmed.

I confused DARE for LEAP. In my defense, I blame the beer and lack of sleep....

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I can sort of understand the hyperbolic thinking behind the air fresheners in a backwards kinda' way. It's a flimsy excuse though. But pro-police stickers? I don't understand the logic in police specifically targeting those.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: rockintitz

Yeah... apparently I'm losing it and have completely face palmed.

I confused DARE for LEAP. In my defense, I blame the beer and lack of sleep....

You can tell that to the cops after getting pulled over for driving the speed limit while scratching your nose

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

See you guys in jail..

No loitering on the internet!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join