It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I filmed something weird on the moon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I recordered something weird I was observing on the moon, with my telescope. A "thing" composed of black spheres. In live view was 10 times better than this shaky cellphone video. After a few minutes it wasn't there anymore. I'm still puzzled.
edit on 23-7-2015 by egidio88 because: (no reason given)

Don't mind the white rocket-shaped thing. It's actually a distant hill or something.

edit on 27/7/2015 by Gemwolf because: Fixed video embed

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: egidio88

Maybe it is just me but I can't get your video to play.

Edit: tried both Chrome and IE.

edit on 7/23/2015 by TommyD1966 because: add more

Edit #2: Can see it now thanks to the link below. I'm not seeing the spheres but I dig that rocket thing

edit on 7/23/2015 by TommyD1966 because: more info

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: egidio88

I recordered something weird I was observing on the moon, with my telescope. A "thing" composed of black spheres. In live view was 10 times better than this shaky cellphone video. After a few minutes it wasn't there anymore. I'm still puzzled.

Don't mind the white rocket-shaped thing. It's actually a distant hill or something.

Fixed your link. Not sure what I'm seeing though? It almost looks like a blimp taking off (the rocket thing). Wish you had a longer clip than what you offered.
edit on 23-7-2015 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Yes, the link is not working. Just a heads up.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Unfortunately I don't see much here. But what kind of telescope are you using?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

You recorded this with a telescope/cell phone? Why don't I believe that?

It looks like you were ON the "moon" with a cell phone.

Not buying it dude. Too fake.
edit on 23-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

+51 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

are you kidding me? did u ever use an actual telescope? i have a 12" dobsonian, 305mm aperture, 1500mm focal lenght! I was using a powermate 5x so the total lenght was 7500mm, i was observing with a 14mm eyepiece, so 535x of magnification. It was a miracle just helding the cellphone by the eyepiece with such magnification. EDUCATE YOURSELF.

I even did the impossible after that, i put the powermate 5x inside the barlow 2x, so the magnification was even higher, it was a pain in the ass to achieve the focus but I made it. Wish you saw it too, guys.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
quick sketch: i.imgur.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Gee, Eby88, even the consensus is a blimp on your thread on the other site.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

You recorded this with a telescope/cell phone? Why don't I believe that?

It looks like you were ON the "moon" with a cell phone.

Not buying it dude. Too fake.

Actually, yes, you can record a video like that, as long as you have a good field of view with your eye piece and can get the phone just the right distance from the eye piece.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Something is off with it. I can't place exactly what it is, but something is off to me.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Pausing your video and doing a screen grab:

I can tell you're using a high powered eye piece as with no tracking on your telescope as the moon is moving out of the field of view due to the Earth's rotation.

The "blimp" is not moving.

Looking at the image above, it appears what you have captured on video is the farside of the inside of a crater on the moon on the terminus, so that the sun is lighting up the far side. If you look along the terminus, you can see the sun light doing the same thing on the terrain that is slightly closer.

What would help is to know what area of the moon you were looking at the time.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I must say, I am green with envy at your setup.

Also, I have had much better luck taking photos through the telescope with my cell phone by using an eyepiece that is close to the same size as the camera lens. A 10 mm works quite well, as you can place the phone directly on the eyepiece and use the rubber to steady yourself.

Still, I was using a rinky-dink toy of a telescope. I can't wait to get a decent dobsonian.

Nice work.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

quick sketch: i.imgur.com...

I can see it but I have no idea of what I am seeing.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This is BS. Not shot through an earth-bound telescope.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stngray
This is BS. Not shot through an earth-bound telescope.

Take an astronomy class. You'll get to use a setup like this. It's even cooler when you use filters and stare at the sun.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I have a little question, this is exactly what I want to do as well
film the moon super close up

I am supposed to buy a celestron xlt 120 today in the afternoon, it has a moon filter two eye pieces.
but I don't think a barlowx2 or the powermate are with the set. I are these two things the things
I should buy to get a super close up of the moon, or is it a complete wrong scope for this end?
I would really like to zoom in on the surface a much as I can

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Good effort considering how it was done but obviously there are lots of problems using magnifications like that it can actually be better to reduce it slightly and also take into account the maximum angular resolution of a telescope that size.

Always remember even the Hubble can only resolve objects around 300ft across at the distance of the Moon and that's with a 2400mm mirror and no atmosphere to worry about.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Looking at the image above, it appears what you have captured on video is the farside of the inside of a crater on the moon on the terminus, so that the sun is lighting up the far side.

I would even say that he captured a mountain on the other side of that crater. It looks like he was looking at the north-north-east limb of the Moon, so we can try our luck at finding that area in LROC QuickMap site.

Right at the end of the video, the "anomaly" gets into a better focus, so here's a screenshot where I also moved the red/green/blue channels to get rid of the fringing:

Another shot, from earlier in the video (also with the channels adjusted):

It does look interesting, but so do any such views of sunlit mountains on the Moon's limb. Some may appear as towers or other structures, but they are really just the mountains.

I'm definitely not seeing "a "thing" composed of black spheres" here.

~~~

To the author of this thread - could you please go to this site: target.lroc.asu.edu... , zoom into the approximate area that you filmed, and post a screenshot of that here. This will give us a better chance at identifying what you saw.

[Edit] If it's not the distant hill/mountain you're talking about, could you please post a screenshot or two from your video and point out those "black sphere" that you saw.
edit on 24-7-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   

very very interesting man. I defo see an "anomaly"...whatever it is. One of the best amateur shots of the surface I have seen

I too am envious of your setup

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join