It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting with multiple fatalities at theater in Lafayette, Louisiana.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: redtic

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: muse7

a reply to: neo96

The only gun law that would have stopped him is a total ban.

And that law would have been worthless if he purchased the firearm illegally.

Now I'm not too bright, but I'd concentrate on mental illness instead.

Making more gun laws and pissing and moaning and trying to restrict freedoms is only treating the symptom along with denying freedoms to 99.99999% of the rest of us.

Why can't we focus on both issues? The millions of individuals suffering from mental illness and the easy access to guns?

Then I will ask you again.

WHAT GUN LAW WOULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS TRAGEDY?

The one that hasn't been written yet.

Bullsh!t answer.

Give me a law.

Say it.

describe it.

Validate it.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Bomb threat across the street.

"At 10:33, KATC reported that police were investigating a bomb threat at Greenbriar Condos on Doucet Road, across the street from the theater. The threat has caused media to be pushed back from the area."

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MoreBeer

Why... what do black people have to do with this, tonight, just a little while ago, old white guy shooting up a movie theater and killing 2 people?

Pure BS artistry.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MoreBeer

IF they wanted to have an 'honest' discussion' they would admit that murder was already illegal.

Thus any more laws are superfluous.

Basically they want something that is already illegal more so. Which doesn't do anything.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Not true. Simply being required to have a person of authority (a doctor or cop, for example) to vouch for you and state you are a mentally stable person, in order to obtain a gun license, is a very effective way to keep firearms out of the hands of fools that carry out these types of shootings.
edit on 23-7-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

They'll want to make wanton murder "illegaller".

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Making more gun laws and pissing and moaning and trying to restrict freedoms is only treating the symptom along with denying freedoms to 99.99999% of the rest of us.

Why can't we focus on both issues? The millions of individuals suffering from mental illness and the easy access to guns?

Bullsh!t answer.

Give me a law.

Say it.

describe it.

Validate it.

And what law regarding mental illness would have prevented this?

By the way I think mentall illness plays a big part in these random mass shootings but it looks like you want to just look at one issue and neglect the other one.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

So you want to remove gun rights and make them a privilege contingent on the recommendation of police (who are reviled here on ATS) and doctors?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Yep there it is. Didn't catch it at first (getting slower these days); No Law would have stopped this from happening as the laws against this already are in place.

Thanks Beez!

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Bullsh!t answer.

Give me a law.

Say it.

describe it.

Validate it.

Yeah, that was intentionally a bullsh!t answer because I don't know it. My point is, smart people (ie not you nor I) should analyze this really really hard and try to come up with something that has the potential to prevent these incidents. We should not not do anything.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Bullsh!t answer.

Give me a law.

Say it.

describe it.

Validate it.

And what law regarding mental illness would have prevented this?

Mental illness was already addressed in 1968 with the GCA, and then AGAIN with the Brady bullcrap.

By the way I think mentall illness plays a big part in these random mass shootings but it looks like you want to just look at one issue and neglect the other one.

Mental illness was already addressed in 1968 with the GCA, and then AGAIN with the Brady bullcrap.
edit on 23-7-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Liar.

I've stated repeatedly that we need to reverse the drastic closings of mental health facilities done in the 80's under Reagan.

Obamacare gives everyone costly physical care, but doesn't do dick for mental care.

I'm all for universal mental health care. It doesn't exist anymore. Not in any relevant way.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: krosnos

So nothing will be done because gun owners only care about their own rights to own guns.

Gun owners care for more than those rights, they just seem ignorant to most of the other rights that have been granted to them. They focus on guns because it is one of the few rights with a physical characteristic attached.

You can't screen for mental illness because gun nuts are afraid they will be put in that category.

Can you blame them? Do you know how easy it is to be misdiagnosed? Aside from that, what constitutes mental illness? Please answer this in detail.

Also the answer for them is more guns

This is sad but true. There are some deep down problems that won't be solved by more guns. I have a few guns and I would like to hold on to them. Idiots keep making gun runs, though. This only creates more statistics and a booming arms industry. This helps no one actually affected by gun violence, though.

AMERICA IS SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER THAN THOSE COUNTRIES YET THEY STILL HAVE THIRD WORLD GUN VIOLENCE.

I have good news. Thanks to globalization we are damn near a third world country. This trend will continue as the "Lords" of our nation work to take away our guns. It isn't about getting guns out of everyone's hands, it is about getting guns out of the poor man's hands, like every other third world nation. You are free to move if you wish.

..so as the gun owners would say.."who cares, about the kids, people..my right should not be infringed to protect other people"

Many gun owners I know have kids and I have yet to hear a gun owner utter these words. Gun owners are people, too. No one wants to give up the rights that they currently have. Again, if you hate your rights, please move to where ever you please. We do not have a gun problem in the U.S., this is a mental health issue. No amount of rhetoric can change this. You, like many others, are only detracting from the problem. If restrict guns, there will be less gun violence. Only idiots say otherwise. But you cannot stop the violence, but you can work on what is actually causing it. The cause isn't from picking up a gun, it is from a lapse of judgment in a sick individual that cannot see any other alternative in a sick world.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
Yep there it is. Didn't catch it at first (getting slower these days); No Law would have stopped this from happening as the laws against this already are in place.

Thanks Beez!

Just trying to illustrate the issue.

No harm, no foul.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

a reply to: Subaeruginosa

So you want to remove gun rights and make them a privilege contingent on the recommendation of police (who are reviled here on ATS) and doctors?

I'd rather just stay out of the gun rights debate today, tbh.

But you made the claim that only a total ban would prevent mass shootings and I had to correct you. Since its been proven that a total ban is not necessary. Just some commonsense regulations.
edit on 23-7-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Liar.

I've stated repeatedly that we need to reverse the drastic closings of mental health facilities done in the 80's under Reagan.

Obamacare gives everyone costly physical care, but doesn't do dick for mental care.

I'm all for universal mental health care. It doesn't exist anymore. Not in any relevant way.

How about everyone that decides to purchase a gun be subjected to a thorough mental exam and their medical history be revised for free? and on top of that impose a 3 month waiting period?

Would you support that beez? that way we knock down 2 birds with one shot

edit on 23-7-2015 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname

Why is it too soon to talk about guns?

Every time this crap happens, when a lunatic decides to go on a shooting rampage....it's always too soon to talk about guns...this is nothing but a disingenous attempt to shut down discussion about gun control

What gun laws would have stopped this tragedy?

The law that allows someone like me or others on ATS (I suspect) to be in a theater, armed and waiting to put rounds through the cranium of a person like this.

I personally volunteer my time towards this endeavor.

I will guaranteed, take a deep breath, exhale slightly and hold it, aim down the sights, acquire a center mass sight picture, and gently add pressure to the trigger, with the tip of my finger until the gun firing surprises even myself.

After the. 45 hollow point hits mushrooms and cavitates, dropping the attacker immediately, I will then walk up and empty the entire magazine point blank center mass.

Afterwards, I will honestly go about my life and feel little guilt.

There will be some guilt, there always is, humans aren't meant to kill other humans.

Even when justified, it still hurts.

But I would gladly do it, as many times as I had to in order to protect innocents from these monsters.

Maybe that makes me a monster as well....but I would never harm innocents, nor kill except in the most dire of situations.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

How about everyone that decides to purchase a gun should be subjected to a thorough mental exam and their medical history be revised for free? and on top of that impose a 3 month waiting period?

I sure the hell don't support that.

That's pretty fascist, and sure the hell isn't 'liberal' under the classical definition.

On second thought if people like this idea since 'mental health' is such an issue then the people who support this would supporting a through mental exam, and medical history when they vote, and a there be a 3 month waiting period.

Who supports that now?
edit on 23-7-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
Same discussion, every time there is a shooting or any act of violence. No ones discussions here are going to change anything.

If people want to post updates, or sources that would be great.

link   
Governor and state police to speak to the media shortly. Or maybe that's old news.

www.katc.com...
edit on 7/23/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join