It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting with multiple fatalities at theater in Lafayette, Louisiana.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: beezzer

I agree that the primary focus should be on a improving our mental health system but why not a two prong attack? I'm not seeing the harm in preventing individuals with severe mental illness from acquiring any number of items with a potential for use in mass murder, be it firearms or fertilizer.

In order to accomplish that, you'd have to get the ACLU to change it's stance, and a revision of HIPPA. Mental health issues is covered in form 4773, among other things, as a dis qualifier to purchase a gun.
riaclu.org...

Lying on this form is a felony, but the current administration won't go after offenders.
dailycaller.com...

The true holy grail would be an investigation into the causes of incidents like this, and legislation that targets the findings, without collateral damage. Can craziness like this be stopped? I don't believe so, but the solution isn't going to be restrictions and feel good legislation, like cosmetic features and mag limits.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

There are plenty of firearms (mostly pistols) in Japan. They are not legally owned.

The latest stats for the total number of guns held by citizens in Japan is 710,000:
www.gunpolicy.org...

Remember, that's the total number of fire arms held, not the number of civilians that hold fire arms. That's 0.005 guns per individual in Japan, 121 million people. Now, it's all well and good if you wish to argue the number of illegally owned guns in Japan which makes a difference but the fact of the matter is, you have nothing to show for this but your assumptions. Granted, We could just for hypothetical reasons, state that there are another 710,000 illegally owned fire arms floating in Japan. That's 1.42 million fire arms in total. This is still a very low figure... 0.01 guns per individual. Unless you have sources at your disposal for this, there's really no debate here.

How does Japan's gun laws change any of these facts?

It shows that heavy gun regulation does impact the rate of gun violence signficantlly if enforced sufficiently.

It shows that for a country where there are far fewer gun owners, gun violence is far lower. Compare that to say, a State like Texas where gun ownership is high and guns are the answer to gun violence. Gun violence continues to persist at far higher levels. The answer to gun violence is clearly not 'more guns'.

How can you compare Japan to the US when the situations are completely different?

What situations? Japan has people, so does the US. Japan has cities, so does the US. Granted, we could argue american culture has influenced gun violence as well, but that in part arises from the promotion of gun ownership in the US.

These aren't bold assertions, these are facts. If you have any facts and sources you wish to point to, I'm all ears.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian
Never mind, you are obviously too far gone to reach.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname

Translation: "I have no sources or facts to point to so I'm going to pull out of this."

Carry on now.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: redtic

Just sick and tired of people wee'ing themselves about guns.

Bullets didn't do this.

A sick man did.

A sick man with a gun. The logical path would be to prevent the sick man from getting a gun.

Bullsh!t!!!!!!!

The "logical" path would be to heal the SICK MAN!!!

Cheee-rist Almighty!

Blame the guilty party, not the object involved.

So going by that logic, if a worker gets his arm chopped off at work, well using a machine he's not been trained to use and has no safe guards or emergency switches, then the blame should be completely on the worker who was operating the machine, right?

Yes let's use hyperbole to its maximum extent.

First off, they wouldn't be in Business, second there are a minimum of 2 safeguards against that being possible period in all manufacturers in the US.

Never worked there have you? It is very obvious you have not.

Guess what, I have, and when that happens, the operator rigged the safeties, leading to the outcome 99 percent of the time.

Yes very rarely, the safeties fail, this is a extremely rare event, like 1 in 10,000 event.

This is ATS brother, bring it or don't come at all.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

I didn't start that conversation did I?

No I merely agreed it is a far worse problem per year in one city, than all mass shootings In the last 10 years combined.

But let us table that and concentrate on a much smaller problem because it fits your agenda...

Because as long as there is "inner city violence" we can't have threads for discussing other issues? How noble of you. Or maybe we're just not allowed to discuss any incident with a white perpetrator without also mentioning that in Chicago, black people killed people too as though that is in any way germane to the topic at hand.

I wonder if this was a thread about an interstate pile up, if you'd be commending a user for reminding people about the number of people who die in the US every year from diabetes or if this was a thread about diabetes, would you be high-fiving some tool for making sure that nobody is forgetting about the real killer, heart disease?

Your cohort has an obvious agenda as evidenced by the sheer volume of repetitious posts dedicated to espousing his views on the criminality of black people. In my opinion, it seems fairly obvious that you agree.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

originally posted by: notmyrealname

Translation: "I have no sources or facts to point to so I'm going to pull out of this."

Carry on now.

No I noted that you either did not read what I wrote or you did not understand the difference between what I wrote and what you responded. I have lived in Japan for almost half of my life and arguing about it with you is a waste of my time and patience.

keep reading your statistics and assuming you know what is really happening.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

www.cnn.com...
"There's nothing to believe that there was any kind of motive," said Col. Michael Edmonson of the Louisiana State Police.

What a bizarre statement. Of course there is a motive. There is no such thing as a motiveless crime.

--------------------

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Also saying FBI and ATF are now on scene.

If the feds are on scene, it's a false-flag attack for sure.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Even if you did have facts and figures as some have supplied in prior threads arguing gun control/restrictions in your country is about as effective as trying to issue speeding tickets at the Indy 500

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

So your openly acknowledging it's vital to enact strict regulations to prevent workers from injuring themselves well operating dangerous machines. Yet, when it comes to firearms, your totally against any common sense regulations.......... Very interesting.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

I'd have to read more about the issue to speak intelligently about it but from skimming through that document, it does seem to me that the ACLU has some legitimate concerns but that shouldn't be the end of the discussion. That said, I do agree that no matter how well-intentioned, poorly reasoned, poorly executed legislation passed to give the impression that "something is being done" is at best a useless waste of resources and at worst, an opportunity for harmful unintended consequences that far outweigh any potential good.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
"At 10:33, KATC reported that police were investigating a bomb threat at Greenbriar Condos on Doucet Road, across the street from the theater. The threat has caused media to be pushed back from the area."

Remember the bomb threat at the scene of the Charleston shooting? Why do I get the feeling the police just fake these bomb threats as an excuse to push the media back even further? Perhaps to conceal evidence of the crime scene being rearranged. Or to provide an opportunity to evacuate the crisis actors.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I'm sorry. I made a mistake when I hit reply. I meant to reply to the poster that claimed to find "entertainment" in threads such as this.
I truly did not mean that nothing but grief should be expressed. It just seems to me sometimes that people are all too quick to make everything that hits msm as some kind of political issue. I believe a bit of respect is in order if we're to be considered a polite society.
Perhaps my sensibilities are a bit raw from an experience last night.
Just after midnight there was a fatality car accident very near my home. Knowing my habit of keeping late hours, a wife of one of the responders called me to ask if I was up. She came over and we made some coffee and hauled coffee and water to the guys who were still working on scene. When we pulled up there must have been two dozen people there with their cell phone videos going. They were bragging about who was getting the best video for YouTube. There seemed to be no recognition whatsoever that a human life, a young woman who had most of her life before her, no longer exists. Simply because they didn't know this person as a friend, they had no respect for her life or her family. They just wanted to be the first to post some blood and gore on social media. It is sickening and depressing to me.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

the shooter was 58, he has a criminal history... 3 people dead including the shooter...injured range in ages from teens to 60's...they are searching the shooters car and then they will go into the theater to check the bodies

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100
the shooter was 58, he has a criminal history...

Should read: "the shooter was 58, he has a history of being mentally 'treated' ...."

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
I'm sorry. I made a mistake when I hit reply. I meant to reply to the poster that claimed to find "entertainment" in threads such as this.

I suppose that's directed at me?

But fact is, there's people starving and dying slow horrible deaths all over the world at any given time. It'd be a pretty miserable existence if you spent your whole life constantly mourning for all of them. Plus, I'm not so feeble minded as to only act like a bleeding heart when I here about a death in the msm, simply because the individual was a first world middle class citizen. Well blatantly turning a blind eye to the horrible existence 3rd world people are forced to endure there entire lives.

Maybe I just lack empathy. Or maybe you lack the ability of a realistic perspective of the world we live in......but anyway.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: proob4

Absolutely. Also...
WHAT MOVIE WAS IT?
I have an overwhelming need to know.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: krosnos

Bullets didn't do this.

A sick man did.

A sick man with a gun. The logical path would be to prevent the sick man from getting a gun.

Bullsh!t!!!!!!!

Cheee-rist Almighty!

The logical path would be to screen for mental illness. Make it harder for mentally ill people to get guns.

But whine some more..

Could someone please pass me the duct tape----I think my head is going to explode!

Please stop and consider what you just typed there----essentially----forget about healing people, just diagnose them so they can't have guns. Is that really what you mean?

I don't know how the rabbit or anyone else could make it any more clear----heal the twisted brain and you don't have to worry about a whole lot more than whether or not the person can lay hands on a weapon.
Take a look---the majority of the mass murders were committed by persons taking or recently having discontinued legally prescribed drugs.
Since there are obviously two constants in these mass shootings, why is it that msm and government doesn't want to have public discussions on both constants. Why do they constantly point out that 40% of the population is presently taking these medications and they're not all going out doing mass shootings?
That's an answer?
(If that is an answer, then my answer to those wanting to restrict gun ownership is that 99.9% of the legal gun owners in the US don't go out and shoot people---even those who have been adjudged "mentally ill" by someone, sometime, in certain circumstances.)

The truth is that we don't have widespread studies on the potentiation of these drugs when used in conjunction with other drugs and alcohol. I believe there is a good reason we don't see those studies. Many of the companies have announced the beginnings of such studies but they never actually issue reports. Usually due to the study having been "compromised" in some way, the studies are stopped before any conclusions can be drawn.
edit on 24-7-2015 by diggindirt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
The U.S. needs more guns to make it safer. That's the solution I proffer.

-Alex Jowls

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Bullets didn't do this.

A sick man did.

Bullsh!t!!!!!!!

Cheee-rist Almighty!

Blame the guilty party, not the object involved.

So going by that logic, if a worker gets his arm chopped off at work, well using a machine he's not been trained to use and has no safe guards or emergency switches, then the blame should be completely on the worker who was operating the machine, right?

Yes let's use hyperbole to its maximum extent.

First off, they wouldn't be in Business, second there are a minimum of 2 safeguards against that being possible period in all manufacturers in the US.

Never worked there have you? It is very obvious you have not.

Guess what, I have, and when that happens, the operator rigged the safeties, leading to the outcome 99 percent of the time.

Yes very rarely, the safeties fail, this is a extremely rare event, like 1 in 10,000 event.

This is ATS brother, bring it or don't come at all.

I agree with you 100% .

And yes it is 100% the workers fault if his armed got chopped off. If you don't know how to use a piece of machinery. KEEP YOU HANDS OFF until your trained. And besides if he was not trained how would he know if there was safeties anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join