It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminism brainwashed this poor man into feeling bad about grilling

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Yea, I get tired of people portraying the feminist movement as a bunch of men hating, sexist women. Yes, women like that exist, but that ISN'T the majority of the movement and to pretend like it is is just as bad as pretending like all black people are violent thugs.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yea, I get tired of people portraying the feminist movement as a bunch of men hating, sexist women. Yes, women like that exist, but that ISN'T the majority of the movement and to pretend like it is is just as bad as pretending like all black people are violent thugs.

Isn't that the basis of discrimination, though? Insecurity.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Clearly this is a non issue. I grilled just the other day and fell very manly. It was great. Then the next day, I was running late from work and my wife grilled. She didn't feel guilty either. Food both days was delicious! MMM mmm.

If you feel bad because someone else says you should, well that's on you.

I for one, am tired of all the men these days whining and crying because feminism took their masculinity. I've got news for you fellas....you castrated yourself.

I'm a man, proud to be a man, big believer in equal rights...I just don't act like a jerk towards women.

Grow up and quit whining and be the men you want to be.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
c'mon...it's one guy, let's get some perspective. we know nothing about this person. are we now suppose to discuss every nutty person that's come along???....gees, it's like a slow news day on the nightly news, when the lead headline is someone running naked through a town square

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

There is more to discrimination than just insecurity though. I would agree that insecurity plays a large role in it, but I'm pretty sure that some just don't know any better and aren't interested in researching anything to find out.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

a reply to: mahatche

The idea of portraying the feminist movement as an attack on men is what I'm getting at. This man is just a victim of his own insecurities. He certainly isn't a victim of the feminist movement or any feminists. No one has FORCED him to feel sorry for himself, he just developed the opinion because he is insecure about his manhood. That's really all it is.

No, the article was written by someone identifying as a feminist, and his views were attributed to feminism by him, not me.

I've been told that the article is supposedly satire, but the arguments that were being made against masculinity, white male privilege, gender roles, patriarchy etc... those are the basics of feminism. If they aren't then please prove me wrong.

In this very thread there is a self identified feminist endorsing social engineering for men, would I be wrong to assume her idea for the need to do that is inspired by feminism?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: mahatche
No, the article was written by someone identifying as a feminist, and his views were attributed to feminism by him, not me.

Like I said, it is just his insecurities speaking. I consider myself a feminist and -I- don't feel bad about grilling. Heck I don't feel bad when I do ANYTHING considered masculine. Women having the same rights as me has no baring on my day to day activities.

I've been told that the article is supposedly satire, but the arguments that were being made against masculinity, white male privilege, gender roles, patriarchy etc... those are the basics of feminism. If they aren't then please prove me wrong.

They are the basics of feminism, but a REAL feminist is trying to topple those stigmas and create equality. The people against feminism tend to portray feminists as either whiny men (as is the case of the OP article) or women trying to put women in the same roles that men have traditionally held (basically a swapping of roles).

In this very thread there is a self identified feminist endorsing social engineering for men, would I be wrong to assume her idea for the need to do that is inspired by feminism?

I can never speak for all feminists. Take it up with her. Feminism is supposed to be about equality, not women getting their fair shake to abuse men.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

We've had this discussion before. Believe it or not I actually follow feminists on social media who share these articles criticizing the new wave. I know all feminists aren't crazy because I get my info from the sane ones. The problem is the current wave of entitled millennial activists have no common sense, and they are the ones having the biggest influence on the upcoming generation of feminists. They go much to far. I just read an article in Jezebel about air conditioned offices being the patriarchy because women are more sensitive to cold.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

We have? Because I certainly don't remember it. I barely ever discuss feminism on this website in fact.

By the way, I've found pro-gay marriage articles that reason we should fine churches or take away their tax exempt status for not having gay marriages, but that certainly isn't indicative of the movement as a whole. No one is trying to pursue such actions, and legally, there is no basis to even DO that. It's just a random idiot journalist opening his mouth and saying things to get a response.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Like I said, it is just his insecurities speaking. I consider myself a feminist and -I- don't feel bad about grilling. Heck I don't feel bad when I do ANYTHING considered masculine. Women having the same rights as me has no baring on my day to day activities.

Well if someone attributes their insecurities to an ideology, and then runs it down the check list of talking points that belong to that ideology, it's not a stretch to wonder if the ideology had a direct influence on his insecurity.

You are not an a millennial practicing entitlement activism either. I doubt you sit around on tumblr and twitter allowing the chorus of like minded people to drum it into your head the way today's social media addicted kids do. My concern is where it's going in the future, the new wave I see cropping up is not the same batch that fought for voting rights and equal pay, they are endorsing all out social engineering. I'm not cool with it to that extent.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Why are you blaming women for the idiot opinion of a single man?
'

because he is letting his wife sleep with other men and claiming its because he's feminist and destroying the patriarchal system.

I don't care if people wanna sleep around and collect all the STDs like pokemon but claiming thats feminism is full retard

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

We have? Because I certainly don't remember it. I barely ever discuss feminism on this website in fact.

Yep, maybe i was in the rare thread were you do it, but we have.

By the way, I've found pro-gay marriage articles that reason we should fine churches or take away their tax exempt status for not having gay marriages, but that certainly isn't indicative of the movement as a whole. No one is trying to pursue such actions, and legally, there is no basis to even DO that. It's just a random idiot journalist opening his mouth and saying things to get a response.

And the purpose of those article is to sway people toward supporting the idea. Site's like Jezebel and the rest of the gawker network appeal to that demographic. They make their living on social justice, and they are increasingly appealing toward the wave I'm concerned about.

when I see pro-gay journalists writing articles I disagree with, i speak out against them as well, stomping out stupid ideas before they spread is a good idea. It may be one journalist, but he is reaching millions on a site they see as credible, so it has some sway.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

But I AM a millennial. I see these things, but what you are suggesting is just young people being young and idealistic. Every generation of young adults has people that are overly idealistic with their philosophies. Many times this is because they don't have the life experiences to see that such ideas are folly. You are just stereotyping millennials with this post here.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Why are you blaming women for the idiot opinion of a single man?
'

because he is letting his wife sleep with other men and claiming its because he's feminist and destroying the patriarchal system.

I don't care if people wanna sleep around and collect all the STDs like pokemon but claiming thats feminism is full retard

Uh... you may have clicked on the wrong thread... The guy in the article in the OP is crying because he thinks that his favorite pastime of grilling is offending women.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

And the purpose of those article is to sway people toward supporting the idea. Site's like Jezebel and the rest of the gawker network appeal to that demographic. They make their living on social justice, and they are increasingly appealing toward the wave I'm concerned about.

So? Shall we talk about the social justice pushed by the right with things like "the gay agenda", "transexual agenda" (this one is new), "traditional marriage", "Christian nation", etc?

Dumb people get swayed by dumb topics. It's called confirmation bias. There isn't much you can do about it except try to keep pointing out the facts to them until they (hopefully) get it.

when I see pro-gay journalists writing articles I disagree with, i speak out against them as well, stomping out stupid ideas before they spread is a good idea. It may be one journalist, but he is reaching millions on a site they see as credible, so it has some sway.

Nothing wrong with this. I have no problems stopping ignorance in its tracks. I do it all the time on ATS, and many don't like me for it.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

But I AM a millennial. I see these things, but what you are suggesting is just young people being young and idealistic. Every generation of young adults has people that are overly idealistic with their philosophies. Many times this is because they don't have the life experiences to see that such ideas are folly. You are just stereotyping millennials with this post here.

OK, I could have swore you were older must have mixed you up, but the description of millennial has a lot of truth to it, especially within activist circles.

Young idealists in the past didn't have social media and the ability to get people fired from their job for unrelated tweets, they weren't doxxing the opposition and sending death threats. This level of soft despotism was much more difficult to achieve in the past. Plus idealists in the past dreamed of equality, now they dream of social engineering that turns the tables and undoes millions of years of biology.

It's not enough for me to say "well they are just idealists" because their ideal is something I'm against, and it's reaching a lot of young people who kind of suck at thinking for themselves. I'd like to be able to challenge them with out being accused of hating women off the bat. I believe in a more genuine form of equality that is free of bias. My agenda is to remind people that egalitarianism helps everyone!

This is a really good criticism IMO. The guy being criticized actually tweeted the videos creator and said he had some deep soul searching to do after watching it.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

OK, I could have swore you were older must have mixed you up, but the description of millennial has a lot of truth to it, especially within activist circles.

I'm 30. I am at the VERY beginning of the millennial generation.

Young idealists in the past didn't have social media and the ability to get people fired from their job for unrelated tweets, they weren't doxxing the opposition and sending death threats. This level of soft despotism was much more difficult to achieve in the past. Plus idealists in the past dreamed of equality, now they dream of social engineering that turns the tables and undoes millions of years of biology.

This is completely untrue. Idealists in this day and age dream of equality. Just because YOU can't see the equality being achieved doesn't mean this isn't the case. Do you consider that you are somehow less equal now that gays can get married? Since we are talking about feminists, what about that women can share equal participation in the workforce?

It's not enough for me to say "well they are just idealists" because their ideal is something I'm against, and it's reaching a lot of young people who kind of suck at thinking for themselves. I'd like to be able to challenge them with out being accused of hating women off the bat. I believe in a more genuine form of equality that is free of bias. My agenda is to remind people that egalitarianism helps everyone!

You seem to be dancing around a contempt for political correctness here. Political correctness is just the newest tool used to achieve equality. Instead of forcing the aggrieved to just shut up and take insensitive abuse, the abused can speak up for themselves and tell the abuser what he is. Political correctness is an expression of equality though. Everyone has the right to say what they want, and you don't have the right to be able to say what you want without someone speaking up about it.

This is a really good criticism IMO. The guy being criticized actually tweeted the videos creator and said he had some deep soul searching to do after watching it.

I can't watch videos.
edit on 24-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Young idealists in the past didn't have social media and the ability to get people fired from their job

Not just young idealists but anyone, always has had that ability. Concerned parents, concerned church goers, concerned politicians. Letter writing campaigns, boycotts, small groups with signs. Most employers, historically want nothing to do with controversy... so if they can legally get away with firing a controversial person, they do... always have.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

This is completely untrue. Idealists in this day and age dream of equality. Just because YOU can't see the equality being achieved doesn't mean this isn't the case. Do you consider that you are somehow less equal now that gays can get married? Since we are talking about feminists, what about that women can share equal participation in the workforce?

I'm bi, why would I think my rights are reduced because I can now marry whoever I want? What are you trying to establish here? I've already said I had no problem with fights for equal rights, voting rights, equal pay etc.. again I practice egalitarianism, the desire for an equal society is a part of my core beliefs. My problem is the people who go into the realm of social engineering. I don't like the immature attitudes toward biology, and i find them dangerous.

There is a big difference in saying "I should be able to vote" and "masculinity is inherently flawed so we should do away with it". It is possible to make arguments for a women's right to equality without the additional divisive baggage that treats men like .the source to all the worlds problems. Turning the tables is not compatible with equality. Equality means coming to sit on the same side of the table with me and eating the same food.

You seem to be dancing around a contempt for political correctness here. Political correctness is just the newest tool used to achieve equality. Instead of forcing the aggrieved to just shut up and take insensitive abuse, the abused can speak up for themselves and tell the abuser what he is. Political correctness is an expression of equality though. Everyone has the right to say what they want, and you don't have the right to be able to say what you want without someone speaking up about it.

I've never danced around my contempt for political correctness. I go against my fellow LGBT members for being to politically correct all the time. I am against social fascism regardless of which side is using it.

Have you ever read Tocqueville's description of soft despotism? His concerns reflect my own perfectly only he is much more elegant than I will ever be.

[The sovereign] extends its arms about society as a whole. It covers its surface with a network of petty regulations--complicated, minute, and uniform--through which even the most original minds and the most vigorous souls know not how to make their way past the crowd and emerge into the light of day. It does not break wills; it softens them, bends them and directs them. Rarely does it force one to act but it constantly opposes itself to one's acting on one's own. It does not destroy, it prevents things from being born, it extinguishes, it stupefies and finally, it will reduce each nation to nothing more than a herd of timid, and industrious animals of which the government is the shepherd."

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Young idealists in the past didn't have social media and the ability to get people fired from their job

Not just young idealists but anyone, always has had that ability. Concerned parents, concerned church goers, concerned politicians. Letter writing campaigns, boycotts, small groups with signs. Most employers, historically want nothing to do with controversy... so if they can legally get away with firing a controversial person, they do... always have.

It's a fair point but I disagree with the always have part. There hasn't always been social media that allows outrage to go viral because you made an attempt at a joke. There was never a time when tens of thousands of people could contact a person's employer at once. Even more scary is the new ability to doxx people and threaten them at home. These are new problems, and i worry how far it will go in creating an environment of self censorship out of fear.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join