It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminism brainwashed this poor man into feeling bad about grilling

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
poor guy.

just like a customer being approached by a sales person. They make you think and generate the need of whatever they are selling you, she just good at her job .

anyway. . let feminists be feminists , they only have an impact if you listen. stop listening and do what you instincts tell you to do, not what others expect you to do.

Keep using the grill Sir and don't let anyone say otherwise if it feels right. same thing applies to every task in life providing your not doing unjust to others.
edit on 24-7-2015 by lSkrewloosel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Growing up, grilling was never a "man thing."

Apparently, whining about the "big, bad feminists" IS a "man thing", though not at all manly or masculine. Blaming the girls? Really?

I agree with LesMis. The idea that gender roles mean something is outdated and should be tossed by the wayside.

Men, if you want to grill, Grill, baby, grill! Leave your penis out of it. Literally.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

See, on that score... I do not know if I can agree that gender roles do not mean anything any more. They mean something to me, although not in a rigid, and backward sense.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Growing up, grilling was never a "man thing."

Apparently, whining about the "big, bad feminists" IS a "man thing", though not at all manly or masculine. Blaming the girls? Really?

I agree with LesMis. The idea that gender roles mean something is outdated and should be tossed by the wayside.

Men, if you want to grill, Grill, baby, grill! Leave your penis out of it. Literally.

Yes, literally, please

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

What? You don't like hot dog?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
I do not know if I can agree that gender roles do not mean anything any more. They mean something to me, although not in a rigid, and backward sense.

I'm more of the camp that 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus'. In other words, there can be some generalizations made about tendencies of men to think or respond in a certain way and tendencies of women to behave and think certain ways.

But as a logical AND emotional woman, I can tune up my car, design a wooden cradle and barbeque a mean steak. I'm also a hell of a cook, I can sew a wedding dress and I'm a great listener and compassionate "mom" to my dogs. Placing people in conventional gender roles doesn't do anyone any good. And a man blaming "feminists" for feeling guilty about bbq-ing? Just plain insanity.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I could not agree more with what you just said.

I happen to think, however, that the things you mentioned there should be universal to all persons. We should all be able to cook, clean, fix stuff that gets broken, and so on. But I suppose what I mean is, that in this decade, this century even, it has been very difficult for me to understand my place in society, because it seems that none of the virtues that I uphold as a man, seem to be valued by other members of society. I am considered strange for upholding them, and no one seems to understand where I am coming from.

I feel like a man from a different age, when I open a door for a lady, and she looks at me like my head is square. My natural response to seeing people struggling with a heavy load, is to help. But these days, this is considered strange, and a reason to mistrust me. Every time I use my strengths to try and make the world a better place for someone, it concerns people, they are surprised by it, even though every man who considers himself such should be familiar with these imperatives.

If society was a puzzle, then I would have no idea where I fit, as a result of some elements of the changes in attitude to these things. Do not misunderstand me, many things which have changed needed to, and there are changes which have yet to be made, which need making... I just feel rather left behind, as if anachronism is a word which has come to define my presence here.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent HereticWait. What? Did I blame girls for something? I'm confused.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

a reply to: Benevolent HereticWait. What? Did I blame girls for something? I'm confused.

No, darlin'. I was agreeing with you that grilling isn't necessarily a "man thing". I was talking about the guy in the OP article blaming girls. Sorry for the confusion.
edit on 7/24/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: mahatche

Well if the man is grilling then what purpose does the woman have when shes in the kitchen....?

I'm totally joking before I get stoned to death....but its kind of this guys fault for feeling bad. Feminism is definitely going too far but it certainly hasn't changed how I behave...and for the record I think women and men are equal...that is why they should have to register for the draft.

You may not be too far off. I personally kinda feel that way when I DONT get to cook in the kitchen. My bf loves to grill (as a matter of fact almost every single day) and I don't get a chance to quite do anything.. It kinda makes me feel left out...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

No, darlin'. I was agreeing with you that grilling isn't necessarily a "man thing". I was talking about the guy in the OP article blaming girls. Sorry for the confusion.

Whew. I thought my fingers and brain disconnected from each other again and I didn't realize it or see it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. it is a kind of silly thing...and especially from Slate. Go figure.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
But I suppose what I mean is, that in this decade, this century even, it has been very difficult for me to understand my place in society, because it seems that none of the virtues that I uphold as a man, seem to be valued by other members of society. I am considered strange for upholding them, and no one seems to understand where I am coming from.

I'm a misfit and I'm married to a misfit. We are "Proud to be Out of Touch with Mainstream America" (he's got the T-shirt)

I feel like a man from a different age, when I open a door for a lady, and she looks at me like my head is square. My natural response to seeing people struggling with a heavy load, is to help. But these days, this is considered strange, and a reason to mistrust me. Every time I use my strengths to try and make the world a better place for someone, it concerns people, they are surprised by it, even though every man who considers himself such should be familiar with these imperatives.

I call people Ma'am and Sir, even if they're younger than me (which most of them are). I'm always polite to service workers, because I used to be one. I open the door for other women and men, too. I sometimes get strange looks. You just keep right on doing what you're doing! You're an example. Trust me.

If society was a puzzle, then I would have no idea where I fit,

I think that's something to be proud of. Just join the rest of us misfits floating out here around the periphery of the puzzle. Who wants to "fit in" to the society that exists today, anyway? I hate fitting in! You don't fit, and I'm so happy about that!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: blackmetalmist

Reason why I actually said that is a girl I used to date would always over look what I was doing when I cooked...and would nag that id kind of wing things....like a pinch of salt instead of a teaspoon haha. I hated it...in the end the food tasted fine but shed sit there and almost try to degrade me for cooking my way...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: blackmetalmist

Reason why I actually said that is a girl I used to date would always over look what I was doing when I cooked...and would nag that id kind of wing things....like a pinch of salt instead of a teaspoon haha. I hated it...in the end the food tasted fine but shed sit there and almost try to degrade me for cooking my way...

I think you kinda just described me
I don't insult his way of cooking but there are some things that I wish he did differently. I guess maybe I should not say anything then ? We just moved in too so we are adjusting to that. Maybe it won't bother as much in the long run.

At the end of the day, I am just happy he is cooking and I get to relax and watch TV.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Why are you blaming women for the idiot opinion of a single man?

huh? where did I blame women?

Criticisms of the feminist ideology is not criticism of women.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Pussification of men is being kicked into high gear.........Many men today might as well wear a dress and take hormones. If you are going to talk the talk you might as well walk the walk.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

I just want to say that there is a battle raging. The militant women are fighting on male terms. How often do men put down women? They put them down an awful long way raping them after every battle they won and even further when they burned millions of them. That is how men got the power they have. They took it by force. It is not a natural state of nature to have a totally male dominated society.

The average man you meet has never, and will never rape a woman as part of the spoils of war. I don't know how many men you know that are burning women alive, but you should probably turn them into the police.

To me this doesn't sound like a call for equality, it sounds like you generally dislike men, which is no better than a misogynist male hating women.

Modern feminism started as a militant movement. Those women are continuing the tradition and see it is getting results. Remember the male saying, "All is fair in love and war"?

There will be casualties, too. I would not wish it. Adapting is working fine for me and other men who agree with balancing out gender empowerment. I'm not led by the you know whats by any woman. I am empowered, too, but I am mighty glad women are getting a better deal now. I have read all the horror stories of the past. I've read many many seriously ground breaking books by feminists. It is all very real.

I don't feel this war you speak of, what exactly is the solution in your mind?

Are women really that scary? What is so frightening about a woman being strong? Why is it so intimidating? Many women seem to be intimidated by it even.

I love strong women, but as a man, the ones who dislike men are kinda hard to talk to. You're telling me about men burning and raping women as if you fear that I'm going to light you on fire at any moment. I might burn you with a witty joke if im in the mood, but only looking for debates.

In our brief interaction here I am not prostrating myself before you and subjecting my will to yours. I am approaching you as I would a man, with equal respect, accepting that you are as bright and able as I, adult to adult.

Cool, I think that's the expectation of everyone here. Most women I know also talk to men as adults on equal ground.

I know we are in for some huge changes in our western societies. I think the healthiest attitude is for men to have an open mind and learn to adapt to these changes or they may well find themselves as dinosaurs of a bygone era:

I think the healthiest attitude is understanding that there is no one solution that can be universally applied to all people with equal results.

I'm going to pull out of this thread because I am taking up too much room. My apologies for being so active. I just feel passionately about this.

I said I appreciate the discussion in my opening line, don't know where you feel the need to apologize for being active.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The idea of portraying the feminist movement as an attack on men is what I'm getting at. This man is just a victim of his own insecurities. He certainly isn't a victim of the feminist movement or any feminists. No one has FORCED him to feel sorry for himself, he just developed the opinion because he is insecure about his manhood. That's really all it is.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The idea of portraying the feminist movement as an attack on men is what I'm getting at. This man is just a victim of his own insecurities. He certainly isn't a victim of the feminist movement or any feminists. No one has FORCED him to feel sorry for himself, he just developed the opinion because he is insecure about his manhood. That's really all it is.

That seems to be all that it is ever about.
edit on 24-7-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I would generally agree. However, there seems to be an awful lot of effort recently to paint things as an either/or proposition.

If you buy into the idea that, yes, men and women are different animals who tend to react different ways and tend to enjoy different kinds of things in different ways, then you some kind of old world idiot who doesn't want to progress. But it doesn't make you backwards to recognize that more boys than girls like to play sports and do active things and more girls than boys like to play with dolls and be the pretty princess.

When someone breaks the mold it doesn't mean they're wrong, it just means they like what they like.

And it doesn't mean we have to pigeon hole and sub-divide every activity as a guy thing or girl thing either.

And it also doesn't mean we have to combat it by totally whitewashing the concept of gender and gender preference completely out of life.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join