It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drag Queens banned from Pride Parade in Scotland

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Yeah, there are a few good drag acts doing the rounds here, proper good laugh.
There are 'rainbow' nights at various venues as well, but it's usually as much of a mix of everyone to be honest.
As I said, the gay clubs closed down because the 'straight' clubs changed their attitudes, starting with door staff/bouncers, so together with internet dating, they became obsolete.

Bigotry is simply frowned upon all round, and I notice with the next generation (my late teen son's age) gender questions are just not an issue any more, people are people, and the most important thing is that people are nice to each other.

I went out in a 'one club' industrial town a few months ago in another part of the UK. I would not want to have been drinking there looking anything other than the skinhead bloke I do. I could smell the intolerance and bigotry.
It surprised me actually as acceptance is just 'normal' here and I'd forgotten not all parts of the nation are the same.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

That's actually rather old from what I understand. For instance, there were various early religions where the ancient transgendered priests would dress in women's clothing in service of their goddesses. It's actually the reason that the Bible condemns the practice of crossdressing, as the authors didn't want people worshiping any other gods but their own. A lot of goddesses (such as Ishtar, Aphrodite, Isis) had very powerful religions in their day, and the patriarchal Abrahamic faiths were threatened by such influence, so naturally they were among the primary targets of early Christians and the like.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Interesting,

I've never been to the UK... I've always wanted to Travel Around there and England.

I agree, the topics of Gender and it's Identities are becoming more open to discussion with more people coming 'out' as their Gender-Identity and it becoming more accepting, especially with the new generation, though we will always have those that oppose and unwelcoming there is a huge push for just realizing that people come in all different Sexuality and Gender-Identities and we should judge each other by the Person

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I have to step out for a bit, but i'll be back later with some more things to discuss!

Also, i'm writing a post about Gender-Identities in the future.. if anyone wants to contribute, just send me a message!

TTFF

ta-ta for now!

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
a reply to: Serdgiam

Exactly, open Dialog on issues such as this is the only way we can progress. we can learn from each other

Well, if I am honest, it seems to be a one way street currently. That isn't unusual though. A truly open dialogue is immensely difficult to achieve when eggshells are involved.

It can also be difficult to truly explore the struggles of others when we never look outside our own. When it consumes ones life, it also means that all experiences are perceived in the frame that conflict.

In the end though, all any of the above means is that these social groups are just like any other.

My personal interest is in unique, novel cultures. It seems that there is a relationship between technology and speed of cultural amalgamation, leading to less novel cultural impact by the individual in a given group.

I look forward to the age we seek out innovation and growth in our interactions, if it happens.

(post by Drest removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

See that's the thing with me and everyone I know, gender identity and sexuality is simply not an issue these days. While of course there are those who probably have issues about some things, the majority don't, so bigotry is not 'normal' and bigots keep their bigoted views amongst their 'underground' bigoted circles.

I am genuinely shocked at times when I read about some of the issues people still have with sexuality and gender, I guess because it is just not something I see in my real life.
Was chatting with some mates at the pub about it the other day after reading stuff on ATS, all rough as boots straight males who identify with their gender assigned at birth, and none of us could quite understand what issue anyone could have with people living their lives and not harming anyone else.

The issue of hate for other people was alien to all of us, and we all agreed that if we saw someone being treated badly over gender or sexuality that we would step in, every time.

As I said, I love living in an accepting place, even though I am in the majority social/gender/sexuality/race demographic, what it means is that most of the people in my part of the world are not bigoted pricks...or if they are they are too scared of the majority to act on their thoughts in a way which hurts other people.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Come on, folks. Let's all play nice and be friendly. This thread has been closed once already and I would like to see it stay open.

Thanks!

(post by Drest removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
On-topic, it is good that 'Free Pride' reversed their decision to bar drag-queens from their festival.
I wonder if they would have done so without the backlash?

edit on 25.7.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: EKron
Come on, folks. Let's all play nice and be friendly. This thread has been closed once already and I would like to see it stay open.

Thanks!

Same here.
I would also like it to stay open because it is a 'gender topic' about the UK, and it is interesting to me as I live in a part of the UK where I don't know anyone who has open issues with gender or sexuality, or race or anything else for that matter.

My late teenage son tells me his generation is pretty much the same as well, and I see it on his facebook.
I know that other parts of the UK are different, but the whole thing is alien to me outside of bigoted opinions I read on ATS.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

a reply to: wasaka

speaking of Laverne Cox

“Gender is policed in such a way that it does not just affect transgender people,” she said. “It affects gay-identified men, straight-identified men. And straight-identified men [who are] deeply policed. As I date a lot of straight-identified men, I’ve seen them so deeply internalize these ideas very rigidly about what it means to be a man -– to be a straight man. “

She is quite brilliant

She is. Totally.

Janet Mock too!

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

I'll go out on a limb here and say I don't know anything about either of them or their contribution to our community of life, but in a totally shallow Google image search, purely looks based exercise, I'd chase Janet over Laverne every time, sorry Laverne.
...is it offensive for me to say that, as a straight male who identifies with the male gender I was assigned at birth?
They are both attractive, but Janet nails it.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I'll go out on a limb here and say I don't know anything about either of them or their contribution to our community of life, but in a totally shallow Google image search, purely looks based exercise, I'd chase Janet over Laverne every time, sorry Laverne.
...is it offensive for me to say that, as a straight male who identifies with the male gender I was assigned at birth?
They are both attractive, but Janet nails it.

That's not offensive at all. It's flattering. Laverne is an actress on a hit Netflix show, Orange is the New Black. Janet is a best-selling author and frequently appears as a guest on various news shows/networks.

Both are part of the recent increasing national visibility and ongoing discussion of trans issues prior to the Caitlyn Jenner story breaking.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Ah good good, we're all just people eh, thats how I see things anyway

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Ah good good, we're all just people eh, thats how I see things anyway

I agree

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: EKron

Yes!

I agree, i am proud and i appreciate everyone that is contributing within this topic and asking questions and gaining knowledge and learning, this is how we progress, and i'm proud to know you all!

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't know if there are any Trans-Males reading or lurking about, but i would be interested to see how they felt about 'Drag Kings'... this article seemed to only focus on Drag Queens but they don't mention if it was just Trans Woman who may feel uncomfortable, or if Trans Men were involved as well.

I also know of a couple Trans-Males who also do Drag 'Adrian Dalton' being one, who has completely Transitioned but still performs as a Drag Queen

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

a reply to: wasaka

I think it's hard, because the Trans label can be powerful, i know there are Trans people that work with the HRC that are Stealth so they don't get represented as Trans, but at the same time, they are just being their authentic self and the trans label is not needed

Yes, for every TRANS activist, there are 1000 other
transgender people who just want to live their lives
without activism of any kind. As you said, they just
want to be free to walk in world as their authentic
self, and do so without the "Trans" label.

My point is that the "Gay" community is very much
divided into factions. The money that comes into
various organizations is distributed by gay white
men, and it is their agenda that rules. It makes
it difficult for those few ethnic Trans activist
out there to make any headway for their cause.

Laverne Cox is the one notable exception.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join