It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man With Asthma Dies After Being Hogtied By Mississippi Police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Man With Asthma Dies After Being Hogtied By Mississippi Police

"Video it, just in case he dies," said one bystander.

A Tennessee man with asthma died after being hogtied and placed facedown on a stretcher by police following a Widespread Panic concert in Mississippi. "A witness heard him tell police that he could not breathe," Memphis attorney Tim Edwards told The Huffington Post on Monday.

Edwards is representing the family of the dead man, whom he identified as Troy Goode, a 30-year-old chemical engineer and married father of one from Cordova, Tennessee.

Source - HuffPost

Troy Goode Press Release: See here

Video: He was telling them he cannot breathe.
Man hogtied by police before dying in custody

Seemingly Day and in and day out these suspicious police deaths are adding up. Death from not being able to breathe while in custody is familiar one, as with the case of Eric Garner. They need to be held accountable, the sooner the better before tampering as is seen with other cases that are pushed under the rug because of tampering in favor of the PDs, etc.

This seems to have been getting little attention.

RIP and regards.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Another case of positional asphyxia ladies and gentlemen...they are all trained on it...

Positional asphyxia, also known as postural asphyxia, is a form of asphyxia which occurs when someone's position prevents the person from breathing adequately. A significant number of people die suddenly during restraint by police, prison (corrections) officers and health care staff.
edit on 23-7-2015 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

I'm hoping this gets some press due to him being white...but this may not make the news simply because it's not sensational enough...
edit on 23-7-2015 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Another case of positional asphyxia ladies and gentlemen...they are all trained on it...

Positional asphyxia, also known as postural asphyxia, is a form of asphyxia which occurs when someone's position prevents the person from breathing adequately. A significant number of people die suddenly during restraint by police, prison (corrections) officers and health care staff.

Pretty damn alarming, that even the medics, didn't head for his cries for help. Guess because he was intoxicated, probably more calmed down by then, likely rowdy according to them, absolute restraint meant much more than preserving life.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

So this man died because he was tied in a position which restricted his breathing?

Why was he placed in that position? Why was no alternative restraint method used? Why were the mans pleas to be allowed to breathe unheeded?

What the HELL were they thinking?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
At around the 37-second mark, the people recording the incident start laughing when they hear the guy saying
"I can't breath."

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

So this man died because he was tied in a position which restricted his breathing?

Why was he placed in that position? Why was no alternative restraint method used? Why were the mans pleas to be allowed to breathe unheeded?

What the HELL were they thinking?

Training dictates when you hear someone state they can't breath or they look as though their breathing is labored they need to reposition them in an upright position...this can happen even seated upright with handcuffs behind you when in a police car...there is no reason that with today's training that anyone should be hogtied...disgrace..

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So once again, let's just totally ignore what he did to find himself hogtied on a stretcher. Who cares right?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
So once again, let's just totally ignore what he did to find himself hogtied on a stretcher. Who cares right?

-Do some research on how many people have died or been seriously injured from cops hog-tying them. Police depts are actually starting to ban the practice.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Preliminary autopsy report suggests Goode died from heart-related issues

Champion said Goode was kicking violently towards officers and EMS employees, and that’s when they put leg irons on him.

The leg irons were attached to handcuffs.

A family member reportedly told police on the scene that Goode had taken four to five hits of '___'.

News Channel 3

He was not hog-tied.. Leg Irons are attached to cuffs and designed to NOT cause PA

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Sure. He had it coming. Deserved to die. Total scumbag. Amirite?

Meanwhile, back in reality, either the cops are untrained regarding positional asphyxia, in which case they are not checked off to apply this sort of restraint, or they are trained and disregarded the training and let the guy smother. Incompetence and negligence would seem to rear their ugly heads as possibilities. Who cares, right? The guy had it coming.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

It doesn't matter what he was doing to get hogtied.

He died while in custody, due to something that could have easily been prevented had anyone bothered to help him. It's not just a cops duty to arrest the guilty, but to also protect them while in custody. Just like it's a parents responsibility to protect a child while seeing they are held accountable for their actions.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Ah I see.

So the death was caused by some drug related palpitation, rather than because of the position in which the fellow was placed? Hmmm.

Well, that does place a different light on things.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Sure. He had it coming. Deserved to die. Total scumbag. Amirite?

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say or think any of those things.

Meanwhile, back in reality, either the cops are untrained regarding positional asphyxia, in which case they are not checked off to apply this sort of restraint, or they are trained and disregarded the training and let the guy smother. Incompetence and negligence would seem to rear their ugly heads as possibilities. Who cares, right? The guy had it coming.

You do realize he died in the back of an ambulance and not a paddy wagon right?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yeah, well the truth is rarely popular in this forum..

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Likely.

He was taken to the hospital, where he was in stable condition before he passed away. It seems to reason a heart problem (possibly related to drugs, his treatment by the police, and/or his own violent behavior pre-arrest: probably all of those) could indeed be the cause.

And then we have witnesses saying that they were threatened by police if they took photo/video of the arrest and the restraints being used, so it look like it was controversial.

Controversial arrest and a man dies in the hospital afterwards. Hmmm

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Whatever it was Im sure it wasn't a death penalty case and even then up to a damn judge to decide his fate..when someone cant breath you reposition them. It doesn't take a genius to conclude not breathing leads to death.
Cheer.
Sorry not sure what to think now..time for a break.

edit on 23-7-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

link   

DB post.

link   
He died from heart palpitations caused by the encounter with the police. Otherwise, he likely would've lived through his overdose, although we can't be sure (how convenient).

Although I must admit, when reading the thread title, I was expecting the guy to be black and intimidating, but this guy?

I mean, what do you do when a guy on acid is kicking you? If I were a cop, id shackle his legs, sure, but not into the reverse hogtie position behind the back.

Didn't they try to taze the # out of him first?

I mean, what do you do in a situation like this, what are the options? Call the zoo and get a tranquilizer gun?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

You do realize he died in a hospital, and not an ambulance, right?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

You do realize he died in the back of an ambulance and not a paddy wagon right?

They get someone in police custody, EMTs can't release the restraints.

eta: further, the guy was strapped to the gurney face down and hogtied according to the articles. Not a good idea.

I don't know what went on at the hospital. I do know in Louisiana and California, a couple of the ERs I've been in have had display racks of pamphlets instructing LEOs what they can and cannot do in the ER with a prisoner, apparently you have to spell out basic things for them. Maybe in Tennessee they get more leeway, or they delayed medical care arguing about it. If the guy died that soon after hitting the ER he might have been in respiratory arrest by the time he got there.

edit on 23-7-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join