It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Republican Bill would steal from Social Security for highway funding

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:00 PM
The problem is this: The Federal government tends to use Social Security as a catch all for spending gaps. This is a dangerous door to open and it should not be. Too many people have paid into this, and what if they get something wrong, then what happens to those people? Do they now have to go into debt to sue the government for the mistake that was not theirs?

The government needs to find other areas to cut and start working for the people, not just itself.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:08 PM
a reply to: CB328

That is fine with me. After they do that lets just steal it back from the republican convention.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:47 PM
There's no lock box to steal from but rather incoming money paid by tax payers. What can be done by this bipartisan bill cutting funding, while claiming it's to help the highways all the while lining political pockets and agendas.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:39 AM
There is no time when SS/retirement is ok to stop.
SS is (meant to be) a savings the government sort of strongarmed you into paying into, with the promise that they will pay it back.

Its akin to a bank deciding they wont give you your own money because they dont like some behavior you did.

Doesn't matter if the person is suspect 1 for serial killing...that money is owed to him.

OPs is right in that this is just a foot in the door to find reasons for everyone to lose paid into benefits
just felony charges
just drug convictions
just violent convictions
just felony convictions
just high misdemeanor convictions
just known associates of hate groups

Foot in the door

I understand a discussion needs to happen on how to balance out SS/benefits while keeping a fair quality of life, but not by this BS exclusionary tactic attempt. Lets talk solid investing and technology solutions.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 01:34 AM
a reply to: guitarplayer
According to the source Mr. X has provided:
One cannot collect Social Security benefits while incarcerated in a jail or prison.
Despite this regulation? law? rule? many, many reports are being made about the high numbers of prisoners who are collecting Social Security while in jail or prison. I don't have a link at hand but I remember reading a report put out by the Social Security Admin. saying these fraudulent claims added up to about a billion dollars over a decade. Many of the benefits were obtained due to identity theft. The report wound up by saying this problem needed further study because they had no clue how to solve it.
I remember writing to my Congress critters and suggesting that since the SSA and the corrections facilities were both in possession of the prisoner's SS number, perhaps some sort of complicated, expensive computer program could be employed by the Admin. to check out whether that particular number was incarcerated. It just doesn't seem that it would be rocket science to accomplish---but the government employs rocket scientists---if that is indeed what is needed.
If my reading of the sited document is correct, family members of the pensioner can continue to collect benefits whilst the pensioner is confined.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 01:45 AM
a reply to: dreamingawake
Of course, they're claiming it is roads, bridges and highways. Because that is the single issue that will make most of us sit up and take notice. It's also one of the most corruption-filled aspect of governmental spending. Time after time, it has been shown that these federal contracts are granted to the biggest donors of the politicians. That corruption is the reason it costs over a million dollars per mile to resurface a four-lane highway.
And of course they would say they're going to take it from SS because they know that the boomers are going to rise up against it. Taaaa-Daaahhhh! Increase in gas taxes!
The response will be something along these lines: We have heard the discontent of the people with our first idea so we have no choice except to raise the gas tax. It was all decided on the golf course a long time before this bill was written.

new topics

top topics
<< 1   >>