It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JeanPaul
How did you afford college?

I did not complete my freshman year but I was paying my own tuition.

What sort of work did you do to pay for rent, transportation/car insurance, electric/gas, healthcare, food and clothing while also saving? Details?

I had a part time job working for Supermarkets General, who owned Pathmark supermarkets among other holdings, and was offered a full time position at 18. I ended up taking this and by the time I was 23 I was making well over $45,000 per year with full benefits.

Working 50-60 hour weeks, constantly faced with work related issues. Small business owners are some of the hardest working people in the world. We can't say the same for a large portion of people with massive amounts of capital.

50-60 was a light week for me when I owned my businesses, I worked 10:30 to 9:30 Monday thru Thursday and until 11 on Friday/Saturday and Sunday until 8. I alternated every other Thursday and Sunday off.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: fshrrex

I had $1,000 cash in 1990 and a $8.45 hour job. Quit, took my $1,000 and turned it into what is now a multi-locational, multi-state, international business. Myself. No loan, no debt. Just me.

I learned my work ethics at the knee of my parents.

Took a few hard, painful, learning years. I hired my first employees years later and am a damned understanding employer. My staff works along side me, not for me. I've learned that money, while a necessary tool, is not the success behind a viable business. It's determination, humility, fortitude, intelligence, and a wee bit of "luck o'the Irish". This brings pride of ownership and success.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Ouch! Harsh Harry should be your screen name.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Lude, crude, socially unacceptable...thats me!

edit on 1437697930Thursday31Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:32:10 -0500pmThursday3270731 by Ultralight because: added forgotten text.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JeanPaul

Just read the first line of your novella and kindly note that comment was not directed at you personally.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JeanPaul
So move to France and love their system.

I simply do not have the time not the patience to rebut you tired old story about why Higher taxes did not stifle the economy after WWII nor as to why the same scenario would NEVER work now and on and on and on….

I will be happy with the fact that people that think in a similar manner as you collect in areas that are all going bankrupt right now. You will continue to shoot holes in your own boat to help some demographic all the while not understanding that those actions cause the problems.

Keep going and I will name a section of the next museum of dead monetary policies after your username.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I built my own business ground up with $1,000 cash in hand. My family migrated here from Ireland generations ago.

Your point?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

My parents raised 7 of us in the 60s/70s without a working mother. My dad worked his ASS off to provide because he knew having us was their choice, not responsibility of anyone else. If times were tough, those of us old enough to flip burgers and contribute, did so, but it was NOT forced on us.

… and I'm guessing that you are not crying about how life has been unfair to you because life was not perfect growing up, correct?

The attitude that: I can't cause____________. - or - It takes money to make money. - or - The large corporations are all evil so I can't get ahead…..

Creates a lifestyle and self defeatist mindset that becomes a reality.

If you don't like the results of your current choices, change your choices and try again.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

What do you mean, 'what is my point'? My reply was not even to you, the other poster asked a question and made comments to me and I was responding to them.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Have some empathy?

Want some cheese with that whine?

Doers Do. Become one.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Very soon.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

1. The slew of $60~120K lawyers and accountants I must pay to keep my businesses running would cease to be necessary and potentially do a job that contributes to the nation/societies GDP.

Is this per each attorney and per each accountant or total aggregate?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

1. The slew of $60~120K lawyers and accountants I must pay to keep my businesses running would cease to be necessary and potentially do a job that contributes to the nation/societies GDP.

Is this per each attorney and per each accountant or total aggregate?

I was making generalizations regarding the number of people just working on that stuff. I use KPMG and BDO for various accounting needs with Latham&Watkin for the legal crappola. Of course we are flexible with this stuff but I end up paying some people's very nice salaries at the and of the day.

edit on 23-7-2015 by notmyrealname because: use - not - sue

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Just because I haven't hit pay dirt yet, doesn't mean I have stopped trying with every opportunity I can make or come across. This nose has not left the grind stone.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: fshrrex
Just because I haven't hit pay dirt yet, doesn't mean I have stopped trying with every opportunity I can make or come across. This nose has not left the grind stone.

Good for you, I admire your determination.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: JeanPaul
How did you afford college?

I did not complete my freshman year but I was paying my own tuition.

What sort of work did you do to pay for rent, transportation/car insurance, electric/gas, healthcare, food and clothing while also saving? Details?

I had a part time job working for Supermarkets General, who owned Pathmark supermarkets among other holdings, and was offered a full time position at 18. I ended up taking this and by the time I was 23 I was making well over $45,000 per year with full benefits.

Ha! Worked for a supermarket making $45k a year. Ya, the checkout clerks at Safeway make around $20 an hour.

Do you pay your employees $45k a year?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: fshrrex

Good for you, I admire your determination.

Reminds me of this:

youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Dad was a drill sgt. I learned the front leaning rest position when I turned 2. Practiced it daily! We were too poor to know it. I wore handed own undies.
It wasn't an easy youth or childhood but it is what aided me, propelled me foward. I developed my moral compass from the collective trials and tribulations of my youth. But don't we all?

I am NOT complaining.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Good on you! I applaud you.
:up

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Gotcha!

I've been told I have a mind for contracts. I'd fight dirty as an attorney.

Growing up in a house with 6 sisters, you learn what happens to the weak, or those who show weakness.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join