It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle sees fallout from $15 minimum wage, as other cities follow suit

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: fshrrex
The secret sauce to being a successful entrepreneur is apparently coming from a family with money. Quartzreported that when a person has more cash on hand, they’re able to take the risks needed to kickstart a business.

I am a first generation citizen and I bought my own businesses with money I saved, not inherited.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Special Drawing Rights Baby!
25% Precious Metals
25% Other Physical Commodities
50% Country's Fiat Currency (Hopefully issued by a Treasury)

however, some will scream NWO or the Illuminati or MASONS taking control or some other nonsense that seems easier for them to believe than the much simpler truth.

It is fun to see them come up with elaborate nonsense though.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JeanPaul

originally posted by: notmyrealname

originally posted by: Pinke
Read piiiiiiiiiiiles of posts in this thread, but there is no individual person to address this to.

Truth is we have to come to terms with the fact that we're automating work using flesh aka people. Eventually we will do this with robots. Eventually the robots will repair themselves when they're broken. When that day comes we have to look back at history ...

We weren't evolved for this. For thousands of years people could have a place to stay, some respect, and food for pitching in where they could doing things that most people can. We've slowly evolved a society where we've created a hated group of people, lets call them burger flippers, who we believe could have done better but they didn't because we're better than them and everyone has a ''choice''.

So the question is, when the robots come do we enslave the intelligent to work for the benefit of the majority or do we need to set fire to everyone in the burger flipping faction since they're taking all our resources and robots replaced their jobs?

We're having the same conversation now except education and automation replaced the respect these people used to be able to achieve. Very few people in America seem to respect the ones that didn't / can't make it. There is a deeper question here than 'something for nothing' I feel and that is what do you do with all of these people?

It is not the first time in history that Machines have taken over jobs that were once the realm of skilled craftsman. Your choices usually are to:

Find a career that will provide what you need for as long as you plan on needing it.

Be so good at your skill set, that it will take many years for machines to catch up.

Innovate to find a new novel method of making money to support yourself.

What has changed in the past 200 years?

What has changed? "Free trade". Neoliberal globalization. The massive accumulation of wealth in the last 35 years alone...And technological unemployment has exponentially increased.

Technological change happens at a faster rate than it did 200 years ago. People who criticize technological unemployment aren't Neo-Luddites.

Also, 200 years ago the US and Britian employed protectionist measures. Atop of that sustence farming or self sufficient rural economies were still possible. At least in America.

The process of dispossession has gone full steam ahead. We see it unfolding now in places like India- where tens of thousands of farmers have committed suicide as their livelihoods became impossible to maintain.

There are various complex market forces at play.

Government has changed, largely because of soft-headed tits that think that taxing companies more helps society. It does not!!!! If the US were to simplify it's tax code, trim the federal government to a reasonable level with a real budget and place corporate & personal taxes on a flat rate (say 17%), a few things would happen:

1. The slew of $60~120K lawyers and accountants I must pay to keep my businesses running would cease to be necessary and potentially do a job that contributes to the nation/societies GDP.
2. Cause many businesses to WANT to do business in this country which would create JOBS. Job competition would increase WAGES.
3. The USA might actually make things again!
4. States would compete for the domicile of these businesses therefore encouraging proper spending budgeting and business development which causes (read 2).

Instead, we get : Raise Corporate Taxes, Corporations have too much money!!! …and the result is that the corporations move their businesses overseas to lower their tax rates.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Since I didn't know earlier, either yours or Augustus's backstories, I went with the evidence in the previous posts. It seems both of you have broken law of averages and became fully realized exceptions. Alas, it baffles me how you can recklessly denigrate the mass of single parents trying to keep their heads anywhere near the surface. Have some emphathy, compassion and charity for the rest of those that wake up everyday and bust their a** for the possibility their children may prosper.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

What kills me about this is they want less hours to stay on assistance? Didn't anyone not see that coming? The whole point of getting more is to LIVE ON YOUR OWN and get off assistance. I would think one would jump at that but clearly this country makes it easy for people to use the system and boy do they ever. How about changing their way of living and live within their means? I know so many people who dont!

I live on a tight budget. Heck when I spend $20 on something I feel guilty because i know I could use that for gas but sometimes I do need things like clothes and I shop thrifty!

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Since I didn't know earlier, either yours or Augustus's backstories, I went with the evidence in the previous posts. It seems both of you have broken law of averages and became fully realized exceptions. Alas, it baffles me how you can recklessly denigrate the mass of single parents trying to keep their heads anywhere near the surface. Have some emphathy, compassion and charity for the rest of those that wake up everyday and bust their a** for the possibility their children may prosper.

I absolutely have empathy towards my fellow man (woman, baby, transgender, gay, bi, cross dressers, colors of all hues, races, etc….) What I can't stand is the portion of the public which through their own negligence help perpetuate the systems that they petition and pressure our elected idiots into passing as law. These are the very laws which make it more difficult for most to succeed and encourage a separate class of entitlement based mentalities.

I understand how hard it is and wish others would come out of their own biased bubble for a minute to realize that knowingly or not THEY are the main cause of the very problem they hate so much.

I liken it to a parent that has tried repeatedly to teach a child not to do something that harms them only to be forced to see the child rebel and make the mistake. Frustrating as all hell.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Have some emphathy, compassion and charity for the rest of those that wake up everyday and bust their a** for the possibility their children may prosper.

Where did I say I do not?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I need someone's broken backs and spirits to place my 110" 4K television on (I forgot to buy a stand). This way I can watch the 99% suffer in crystal clear 4K but without really having to be among them, because, you know, who the hell wants to do that? 

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: fshrrex

Yeah, apparently satirical exaggeration is lost on you.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Even sarcasm is an inclination of your discontent.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I am quite content.

And it was not sarcasm.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
Oh ya! Not to far from this zone. I mean who would not like to get payed more for what they do. The hours get cut regardless as that is what businesses do. I know people who get payed anything from $11 to over $35 an hour to in between, last job I started at $19 something and if I stayed in a few years it could have been over $30 but it was to much of a back breaker type of job, and to much weirdness and to much time, but the worse part was. To many people in that place whos uncle or cousin is on the higher ups got them there, and somebody has to pick up there slack, a lot of do nothings who they cant get rid of because of uncle, or the union. My current job is $11,50 or something, dont even know, but I will quit that as its not really worth it.

But I got more options then most people. I got the option to not play by there rules and just leave anytime because I dont have anything really holding me there. Most others cant do that, which is why companies dont really hire guys like me because they know I am not really in there back pocket like others are.

Besides they all get there hours cut, unless that is your the one making up the hours for the yearly quotas. Plenty of useless paper pushers in that job, it works like that, same reason why they hire assholes as the boss. Keeps everybody in line and the yearly quotas maximizing.

# could tell you some stories from one paper pusher I had, another job before these 2 jobs I had the guy was making unnecessary rules and regulations and all kinds of useless paperwork just to look good for corporate, and the funny part was it took me 15minutes to do all that # and type it out and sent it out, it took him pretty much 4 hours to the whole dam day for the same crap. Now aint that convienient, making sure he stayes in place.

But hey! I am trying to get out of there as I got # to do, my whole life does not revolve around a job, besides unnecessary things lead to unnecessary problems, which is what the whole updating crap was really about, a bunch of unnecessary crap so they can push more useless paperwork around and sit around more.

Not only did I actually have to work and get things done no time for more unnecessary nonsense, while he was trying to get in there and up in the corporate ladder. Which is what happend heard he got promoted and shipped to some other state to help with there problems, feel sorry for the poor fools he got shipped to. I give that company some few more years before they go under, only reason why they stay in business is because they dont low ball, they are the lowest ball on the court, and they still got some people there who know what they are doing and willing to put up with all of it because they have no other option. But as soon as they go, down the tubes it will all go. But hey its copy and paste procedure, I am sure they will all get out before that with a bonus or two.

One guy I currently work with now, at my crappy $11hour job, his second job he makes $23 or so, works for a production company something about roofing, the guy gets laid off each and every year not because business is not booming, but because every year the quota to meet goes up, but the competition would do it for cheaper and there is no way they can squeeze more of a profit because there getting out competed. But the owner and investors must get the marginal increase, so to do that you know, cutting hours for the people who have been there 15 years or longer is the least of it. And this place is in Seattle area somewhere.

But for Seattle and the people making 15$ now when before they were not? Oh ya bro, who would not want to get payed $15 for doing the same job that would regularly pay $10. I mean I have yet to hear anybody complain in the pay raise they got for doing the same job, which was likely worth that to begin with. Because now even when they cut hours they would still be making in a week what they made in a month. Oh ya, there crying now, # it may even make there second job they had bearable in that 80 something hour week. But I see they are buying some things now that they got that pay raise, which before they could not afford. So ya! There hurting with that pay raise and so are all the business which there buying more things from.

Oh ya! Lots of bull# going around on both parts, the workers got there bull# as well. Thats about the only thing which is consistent, the bull# on all parts.

However! Never seen so much # on one thread...Oh wait, Yes I have. The one thread before this one, something about a hair piece, and politicing and the other one before that was even more full of #, something about people and there fetishes. Besides dont people know. Money is literally printed out of thin air now a days, its all just a matter on who can convince the other guy that his job is worth less then his. They call it the rat race for a reason.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Calling me a "soft headed tit" is rich. Anyhow, the corporate tax rate in 1950 was at about 50%. Right now the effective overall corporate tax rate is around 27%. 35% statutory. Almost none of the largest corporations actually pay 35%. Corporate profits are also at an all time high. Some corporations pay under 10% effective tax rates, some of the largest have gotten away with paying none (Bowing, GE, Priceline, Verizon etc).

The lie that lower taxes spurs growth doesn't hold up to the facts. The economy grew at about 4% between 1950-1960 with a high corporate tax rate at around 50%. Between 2000-2010 the tax rate was 35% with an average annual growth rate of 1.8%. And again, some of the largest corporations certainly don't pay 35%.

Another issue is the fact offshoring is so profitable because developing countries governments subjugate labor, have very little workplace/environmental regulations and some have low taxes. Some have even higher taxes than the US but the subjugation of labor and lack of workplace/environmental regulations makes it profitable. This is why many foreign populations in developing countries have no public services to speak of, why so many work in abhorrent conditions- like the conditions US workers faced in the late 19th/early 20th century. Even so called "liberal" economists such as Krugman excuse this set up. He actually praises sweat shops and worships at the alter of "free trade" (which has essentially become the global chase of cheap labor).

Cheap subjugated labor in developing countries and consumer/household debt in developed countries. Who's winning this game? The people in sweat shops? The people living in debt in the west? Nope. Massive multinational corporations and financial institutions. That's who. Record amounts of concentrated wealth has been accumulating since the 1970's. this is a fact. This wealth hasn't been "trickling down". This is a fact.

You'd have the USA become a third world nation. Why? So corporations can slash workplace safety standards, regulations and taxes? This would benefit no one but the executives, management, ownership and stock holders. Even more so than we already see today. Working people would take on even more debt, work to an even older age, lose even more benefits etc all while working in slumlord conditions.

My point stands, "free market" economics is corporate propaganda. In fact, so called "libertarian" think tanks were founded by corporate doners and billionaires. Big business seeking to lower taxes, wages and regulations. From the Volker Fund, CATO, Mises foundation, Freedomworks etc. Even so called "liberal" foundations seek the same thing, with Facebook founder, Google and others pushing for lower taxes and less regulations but with a facade of "progressive" values. FWD.us is Zuckerbergs political scam and they're now pushing for a massive expansion of worker visas which is an attack on wages in the tech sector. So it's not just "libertarians" attempting to screw US labor.

Nor has "free trade" and "free market" economic liberalization really helped developing countries, as their public services are slashed, as land an resources are privatized and sold off to the highest bidder. World hunger isn't improving and the drop in poverty was largely due to China and India developing their economies which was done with a large amount of state intervention.

If we take China and India out of the equation and just focus on developing countries exposed to "free trade" and market liberalization (World Bank/IMF's "structural adjustments) the numbers are quite different. As are the stats on world hunger and poverty. Neoliberal globalization is not benefitting humanity as a whole in large part because of the free market corporate scams being forced on us. Especially developing countries who are forced into "free trade" when in reality Britain and the US developed under protectionist policies.

No matter which way you slice it, "free trade", low corporate taxes, slashing regulations and subjugating labor is not beneficial to the populations as a whole. It benefits an extreme minority who have the funds to control various governments, financial institutions and the WTO itself (which is more so free market ideology in action).

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

I didn't say you said that. I simply asked you a question as your post addressed the $50K. Is this a low wage to you? If so, why? If not, what are your parameters that define middle class wages? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I agree. The Federal Reserve has put this country on an economic death spiral. Along with many, many other countries it affects.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

My parents raised 7 of us in the 60s/70s without a working mother. My dad worked his ASS off to provide because he knew having us was their choice, not responsibility of anyone else. If times were tough, those of us old enough to flip burgers and contribute, did so, but it was NOT forced on us.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

As did I and all of my siblings.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

You could be right. But everyone should carry auto insurance. Be responsible for your liabilities and all. Ahem....just sayin'.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Ummmm....there are those pesky Treaty of Versailles bonds the USA borrowed against in 1934 beginning with the first of many in a whopping $250 BILLION increments. In 1934, that was monsterous. When was that debt truly paid with tangible money??

Anyone?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The secret sauce to being a successful entrepreneur is apparently coming from a family with money. Quartzreported that when a person has more cash on hand, they’re able to take the risks needed to kickstart a business.

I am a first generation citizen and I bought my own businesses with money I saved, not inherited.

How did you afford college? Ho w did you pay off student loans? What sort of work did you do to pay for rent, transportation/car insurance, electric/gas, healthcare, food and clothing while also saving? Details?

And again, small businesses aren't really the problem. Small businesses shouldn't pay the same tax rate as massive corporations. In fact, the world would be a better place, or I should say capitalism would be more tolerable if supermassive corporations didn't even exist. An economy made up of mostly small businesses would be better. Yet over time the same wealth concentration would manifest via competition.

Even some so called "free market" theorists (some) agree but they blame the government for the existence of super massive corporations. As if corporations weren't formed in order to pool risk. As if competition, over time, didn't create "winners and losers", with the "winners" becoming larger and larger as their competitors are shut down.

Small business have to compete with massive multinational corporations, which is why it's often so hard to start and maintain a small business. Depending on the services provided. Stuff like construction can't be offshored, or any service which requires on site face to face service or labor. Even then, small business owners, much of the time, have to work themselves half to death just to keep treading water. Working 50-60 hour weeks, constantly faced with work related issues. Small business owners are some of the hardest working people in the world. We can't say the same for a large portion of people with massive amounts of capital.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join