It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My friend's face is hanging on one side and....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
....he doesn't have any medical insurance. He told me he woke up this morning and one side of his face is dead. He says when he tries to drink it just runs out the side of his mouth. I told him that I think he had a mini-stroke and to go see a doctor. Problem is that this dude has no medical insurance. He told me that he has some old antibiotics and he's going to take them. I told him that I don't think that's going to work. Could this be something other than a stroke? Anybody have any suggestions? Once something like this happens can the face ever be normal looking again?

Peace

JAK

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hey Dr Love, obviously the best path would be go see the doctor, but this website may be of interest to you and your friend.

Jack

[edit on 28/12/04 by JAK]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is probably a condition called Bells Palsy (sp?)...have him go to the doc...

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
So here we have someone who can't visit the doctor because he hasn't got medical insurance. He is forced to self-medicate for something that appears to be either Bells Palsy or a stroke. Antibiotics won't work because it isn't an infection.

A little while after I joined ATS, I posted a question about a National Health Service (similar to that in the UK) being set up in the USA. Some agreed with me, others spouted the same selfish crap that is denying human beings basic health care unless they have the ability to pay. If Dr Love's friend lived in the UK he would be able to visit the doc and receive treatment without worrying about losing his house due to medical bills. Instead he is having to self-medicate something that could be life-threatening (if it was a stroke, the likelihood of suffering others increase without appropriate treatment).

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Good job Jak and Gaz! I just talked to him on the phone and read what was on that website to him. He said that the symptoms of Bells Palsy are exactly what he is experiencing. You guys are a couple of medical geniuses.

Peace

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Nah, my brother has it, and he had the same exact thing happen to him one day... I know it was serious and all, but it was damn funny lookin'

EDIT: Doh! I didn't even check Jak's link...otherwise, it would have been easier to simply agree with him, hehe....

[edit on 28-12-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
If Dr Love's friend lived in the UK he would be able to visit the doc and receive treatment without worrying about losing his house due to medical bills. Instead he is having to self-medicate something that could be life-threatening (if it was a stroke, the likelihood of suffering others increase without appropriate treatment).

He can here too...He can walk into an emergency room at any publically operated hospital (not privately operated) and they cannot refuse him treatment.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

He can here too...He can walk into an emergency room at any publically operated hospital (not privately operated) and they cannot refuse him treatment.

That is correct (the key word here is PUBLIC hospitals, private ones will refer you to the nearest one if you go there)...though they will bill him later of course. However, the good news is that medical bills don't always negatively affect your credit, as many creditors ignore them.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
As far as the bill goes...
In some states you can apply for low income financial assistance that will pay the bill for you. You don't need to apply for this prior to receiving treatment.

If your friend is having a problem, tell him to go to the hospital first, and worry about the bill later.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
While it's most likely Bells Palsy a stroke can't be ruled out unless he goes to the hospital. Does he have high blood pressure or any other symptoms such as a headache or dizziness? He could also have MS which is just now starting to show symptoms. Have him go to the hospital and get it checked out. I would rather have a few bills than have something happen that could cripple me for the rest of my days or worse yet end my life.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
He needs to go to the hospital and be checked. It isn't something to play with. No one in this country will be DENIED medical treatment. They just may have to pay for it themselves.

AND, they won't send you to collection as long as you set up a payment plan monthly and that can be as low as $10 per month.

Unfortunately, he now has a pre-existing condition and getting insurance will be even harder.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Damn I wish I'd seen this sooner.

There's a number of possibilities including the stroke.

A full blown stroke - CerebroVascular Accident or CVA.

A "mini stroke" - Transient Ischemic Attack or TIA.

Bell's Palsy (kinda rare but certainly possible).

The reason you don't want to play games with this is because if it was a stroke, there are some new medications available in hospitals that can reverse much of the damage done as long as it's treated in time. No hospital would kick a person presenting with stroke symptoms out of their ER. I simply can't imagine that.

Bell's palsy usually goes away after a while, it's thought to be the result of some kind of virus. Only a doctor with necessary equipment will be able to answer what's up though.

How old is your friend? Did you end up going to an ER? What was the end result?

Just a note for everyone, if a friend or relative exhibits signs of a stroke get them to a hospital within ONE HOUR. You have a wonderful chance of getting them back in good health by speeding up.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Sounds like Bells Palsy and it is freaky - it is temporary and no known cause or cure. Customer of mine got it and it took about 6 months to fully recover. Stroke would present with much different symptoms unless it was really mild. Bells just sort of happens with no other symptoms usually. A bad nerve disorder/pinch could also cause it....

Have it checked out and look on the bright side and take lots of videos - you'll both laugh later at the Quasimodo like appearance and speech if it is Bells and yes it will return to normal....

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Damn I wish I'd seen this sooner.

There's a number of possibilities including the stroke.

A full blown stroke - CerebroVascular Accident or CVA.

A "mini stroke" - Transient Ischemic Attack or TIA.

Bell's Palsy (kinda rare but certainly possible).

I hate to say Bells Palsy isnt so rare...around me anyway....My friend my father and the housekeeper at my job have all had it ...so has a clients relative....all diagnosed as having been inflicted by an insect bite. I know infected ticks can do this....But I have to tell youu my friend a vet asst., got lymes and Bells palsy...her face is still partially paralyzed years later. This is a condition that is treated with steroids and antibiotics and must be tended to immediately... I do live in an area with an unusually high rate of lymes disease.

[edit on 28-12-2004 by xxKrisxx]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Wow, that's an awful lot of people.

I guess in your area it's more common due to the higher rate of lyme. Very odd from my perspective, because I almost never even hear about it here in nyc.

But your story goes to show that stroke or not, when something doesn't appear right, go get it checked out. It's always better to be on the safe side.

Also, I spoke to a friend who works in an ER and he said that they often get patients (sometimes drunks brought in off the street, sometimes elderly homeless with no ID etc) who they know full well they won't ever get a nickel out of, and they treat them anyways. I guess they anticipate this particularly in more urban areas.

join