It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this going to far for equality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
A little while ago i got an email from Change.org
Its a petition site that solicits signatures by email.

The petition i received, in my opinion, is going a little to far in the direction of equality.

Its asking me to sign my name again having gender related McDonald's happy meals.

Here is a copy and paste of the petition:

It’s 2015. So much progress has been made recently in the name of equality and freedom of expression. I am the mother of a two year-old boy, and I’m so excited at the prospect of him growing up in a world where he feels free to be himself. So I was surprised to see that McDonald’s in Canada is still using archaic gender stereotypes with their Happy Meal toys. Recently, my son got a Happy Meal and picked a pink toy. Because of this colour, the receipt came back reading: “1 Happy Meal Toy Girl.” Please tell McDonald’s to stop marketing toys based on gender.

What's a girl toy? Boy toy? My son should have the freedom to choose whichever toy he wants to play with, regardless of colour or type -- such basic values of tolerance and acceptance should be encouraged for our children.

So far, McDonald’s has not responded to my questions on social media regarding this practice, so after talking it over with my family, I’ve decided to start this petition.

This practice was already discontinued in the United States after customers raised concerns. In 2013, Chief Diversity Officer Patricia Harris addressed this policy in the US, writing: “It is McDonald’s intention and goal that each customer who desires a Happy Meal toy be provided the toy of his or her choice, without any classification of the toy as a ‘boy’ or ‘girl’ toy and without any reference to the customer’s gender. We have recently re-examined our internal guidelines, communications and practices and are making improvements to better ensure that our toys are distributed consistent with our policy.”

Let kids be kids! Please help me change the marketing McDonald's uses when referring to the toys they offer in a Happy Meal. Tell McDonald’s to make this policy consistent in Canada, too.

What do you all think?
I say let kids be kids.
When i was a child, i didnt want to play with girls toys and if i ever did, it would of resulted in a serious case of koodies, that my friends would never of let down.

Im deleting the petition from my email, because i personally think its going over board. Im all for equality, but really, let the kids decide if they want another genders Happy Meal.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Stop eating McDonald's. Stop feeding your kid McDonald's.

Problem solved.

(And yes, it's over the top imo)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
What do you all think?

OMG! I think who gives a flying fig what's printed on the receipt?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The choice of colour of toy is still there, they weren't being denied a choice, it only specified gender on the receipt probably for stats. They probably removed the gender from the receipt and coded it for their own purposes.

Sometimes people complain about anything instead of focusing on the things that really matter.

''Your society is having a meltdown''

''better go complain about the receipts at a fast food store''

How about eating somewhere with healthier ideas about food and ethics or at least complain about the amount of additives and unnecessary chemicals in the ''food'' there instead.

edit on 22-7-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Exactly. I am much more concerned that parents are letting their kids eat at McDonalds then whether the receipt says boy or girl toy.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think he would be more concerned that McDonalds secret menu has an item called the McGangbang.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Stop eating McDonald's. Stop feeding your kid McDonald's.

Problem solved.

(And yes, it's over the top imo)

This. I'd prefer a petition to require McDonalds to post all the ways in which their food is horrible for you, your kids, the economy, the environment.

Oh I guess that's too PC too though :O
edit on 7/22/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So let me get this straight ... Her 2-year-old boy read the receipt and could tell that they had labeled his toy as a "girl" toy because of the color? Wow! That's some advanced child to not only be able to read at 2 but to also be dialed in enough to read the fast food receipt.

Amazing. I swear. Kids keep getting smarter every day.

Either that or his mother is simply getting outraged on his behalf and needs to stuff a sock in it.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

I fully agree. Why give a crap about the receipt when the real crime is the slop they serve lol

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You Masons and your secret menus... lol im just buggin ya

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
You Masons and your secret menus... lol im just buggin ya

If it were us it would be the McToddler.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
so, don`t show the kid the receipt he`ll sill be happy with the toy. If the mom gets this uptight over a McDonalds receipt then she probably has way too much free time. I didn`t know that anyone even looked at their McDonald receipts.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I happen to agree... but I don't see the need for a petition. It's tough to break kids of the idea that it's not okay for them to like whatever toys they like. Why should it get weird for a girl to want the Hot Wheels toy, instead of Barbie? "For a girl, or a boy?" Is the typical question, an that determines whether the toy is an awesome transformer or a stupid plastic purse. A dude who shoots a plastic missile of flames, or a pony with hair you can brush.

It's all reinforcing gender roles that we like to say are no longer relevant, but which we push on kids anyway. My daughter was called a boy because she brought a Spider-Man lunchbox to school. Why isn't she allowed to like the most awesome superhero? (arguments against this are off topic) Right. Because somebody else said these things are for girls and these ones are for boys, and cross-contamination is weird.

There's not even a need for different toys. Just a stop to the need to segregate people.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I think he would be more concerned that McDonalds secret menu has an item called the McGangbang.

The McGangBang is quite innovative for $2.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I wonder if i will get the police called on me if i go to a McPukes and there's a woman at the register when i order a McGangbang.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I think this Mother should carry on with her petition but take it a step further. Demand that everyone boycott McDonalds.

I well remember persuading (adult)* friends to buy Happy Meals because I wanted a particular toy but wouldn't touch the food with a barge pole. Happy days

Err... yeah, I was an adult too...

new topics

top topics

join