It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My day was crap. This is a personal rant.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: reldra

Totally understand with the anxiety thing and I'm a rough bloke in the construction sector, I get the same feelings negotiating deals myself, it is my least favourite part of being self employed.
I've messed up estimates ending up working for less than minimum wage, and I've seen the eyes of people when we've agreed a price and I knew they looked pleased because they would have paid more.
Hardest bit of business to me, regardless of the product/service.

Yep, I have made a few mistakes before. I like to give a price, based on # of baths, bedrooms and how much wood flooring, sight unseen. Visiting every home to give an estimate was racking up costs in itself. But I have shown up to a mansion with multiple outbuildings and an outdoor kitchen and movie theater. I knew I had shot myself in the foot.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

If it were me I wouldn't rely on an email knowing I've got a 25 minute bike ride ahead of me. I would make sure they need me before I make that trip (and I'm sure you will too from now on).
Cost of doing business.

What I want to know is how you manage to do what you do with no vehicle. Do your clients typically provide the tools and materials?

This business has me on a regular schedule. Has never been a problem before today, in 4 years with them. Not the cost of doing business, in this case. It was also a voicemail to a business, 24 hours before, both business days.

My clients provide the tools and materials to keep my prices low (on occasion, they will ask me to bring something special, I accommodate and charge if appropriate. If I have it, no charge. If I don't, I buy it and leave it at that house.). I also found, early on, many people preferred certain brands and I was carrying around entirely too much, even when I had a vehicle.

I found most of my business was coming from the well-to-do village I live in. There was no real reason for a vehicle for business anymore. I can put a bike on a bus if necessary, the Metro has bike stands on the front of the bus. If I get a lucrative request for a Spring Cleaning or organizing or Home Staging elsewhere, there are several college students I give referrals to or will pick me up and I get about 60%. I do manage the whole thing and know about the details. I also pay for background checks. So, me getting the 60% or even 70% with a ride is often pretty fair.

If I just give a referral, I collect 10- 15% after they finish the job. If they are new, or don't have experience in a larger home I will go the first time to train them and get 60-70%. After that, if the client likes them and are comfortable, I collect 10-15% from them after in the future. I also buy a basic cleaning kit with tote for helpers at my cost.
edit on 22-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
But I have shown up to a mansion with multiple outbuildings and an outdoor kitchen and movie theater. I knew I had shot myself in the foot.
Haha! That is a bad one!
I visit every potential site which involves me pricing it as a job, but I will agree an hourly or daily rate without actually seeing the work that needs doing.
Good luck with your future negotiations

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: reldra
But I have shown up to a mansion with multiple outbuildings and an outdoor kitchen and movie theater. I knew I had shot myself in the foot.
Haha! That is a bad one!
I visit every potential site which involves me pricing it as a job, but I will agree an hourly or daily rate without actually seeing the work that needs doing.
Good luck with your future negotiations

That was a bad one. After that, I learned to ask more detailed questions.

edit on 22-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
As a contractor - that's kinda how the game rolls sometimes.

It's not fun, doesn't make it any less aggravating, but with freedom, also comes strings...

I drove 4 hours to a client....to have that same thing happen, I feel you.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackboxInquiry ty

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Sounds like a good plan! They should be understanding about it, since it's a somewhat regular thing. If it was a missed communication, that's on them, and they ought to be willing to work something out to make it simpler for you and them. Of course, some places aren't reasonable.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Guten Tag- You typed that it is a Father/Daughter gig that has grown in size and in that growth they moved farther from Your operating base? You being an 'Empathetic Soul" who KNOWS it isn't about You but You were just happy for THEIR growth and didn't think to increase Your charge, why? You already KNOW that they can afford it and due to Your work ethic, go above and beyond a regular "cleaning Lady".. You DESERVE it. In a world with their hand out You're breaking Your 'snip' and not getting compensated..

It is "nothing personal, it is just business"

I would certainly get not one new customer but 3 or 4 and then I'd go to the 'Daughter' part of the equation and say words to the effect of: "I wanted to ask a favor, I've noticed that You and Your Dad grew this business and I was wondering if You could help Me out with organizing mine"? Then show Her Your 'client list' and what You think Your 'clients' should pay. When She sees that You're charging the other 'clients' a larger sum (somewhere in the middle of exorbitant and highway robbery) and STILL charging Her a "family rate" They will throw $$$ Your way. Dishonest? NO.

Let THEM give You $$.. Right before getting to REM sleep imagine the scenario of the above, this will also 'grease the skids' as it relates to getting contracts with each business/residence/whatever Because the majority DO have their hand out..

Learn, Teach and Have Fun.

namaste

P.S. When You have to start hiring let Me know and I'll fly up and help You with the interviews..

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
In Britain our economy is still bad, and fees for university are going up and yet the country still pays for scholarships for third world students to study at our universities: how ridiculous is that? It gets worse because the students who get there are the wealthy of their country and so are wealthier than many of our own students. Our universities, politicians and army of dogooders keep screwing their own people over again and again. Incompetence and stupidity reins because no one is prepared to stop helping other countries.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Reldra,
Life is tough.

I work as a painter for a very small company that I only got hired by because family friend(they needed an extra hand).
After two years I've learned alot and am now capable of doing most of what the other 3 guys do(2 that own the company and 1 that works like me but for 16 years in painting in general, only 4 of those years with them).
And I do alot of the work that no way would I be allowed to do when i started. Come to think of it, there's really not much more that I could be taught, just perfect the style.
But no raise. And when I asked I was called a liability and the fact that I'm working for them is cuz one of the two, that owns the company, that i became friends with, said he has 'faith' in me. Like wtf.

Granted I didn't work the whole time. More like 15 months since I started 2 years ago, but simply because sometimes work is slow and they don't need a 4th guy.
Rephrase.. "Didn't" need because now I've worked straight for the past half year even when things are slow.
But anyways! two weeks ago when i asked for that raise and that was the response, I almost drove away on the spot. It was right after getting my paycheck so I could have. Cuz I also get paid like you uhm.. not a regular employee..

BUT i stayed and kindly said okay.

And have been looking for a new job quetly since and will leave this one unexpectedly when I find it. Already have an interview Monday for a job that already starts paying more than what I get paid here. so cool beans.

Sometimes the people we rely on and end up getting close to can screw you in the ass so tight with a few words that you'll have trouble verbally expressing anything afterwards.
This dumb# boss of mine will regret not giving me a raise when I leave and he realizes he now has to do a crap ton more work. All the little things that noone wants to do. but thats that

Sorry to take over your rant.. I guess I had one too.
edit on 22-7-2015 by iFloButta because: Spelled your name wrong.. Sorry!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Oh, so sorry to hear you had to go through that, really sucks!

As others have said, maybe now is a good time to get a written contract with a little raise built in for you. It sounds like you have gone above and beyond, and I think they are shortchanging you.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I understand your position, having had the same problem many times as a appliance repair person. The kicker in your examples of an electrician or plumber is that they are called to the job and if work is not done when they appear, they should get the trip charge.

You, on the other hand, had a loose understanding with your employer and since you operate as you do, you should had confirmed that a visit today was acceptable. Being a warehouse and they had a phone, you made two mistakes that were costly to you: You didn't get confirmation to come today, and second, you went anyway. It was your gamble.

I'm sorry for you, but we trap ourselves sometimes and should not attempt to blame others for our actions/inactions.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I understand completely. I have been in the cleaning industry for many years in both capacities as a contractor and as a owner. One thing I would do if I were you is be more assertive about what did happen. I realize you may not want to offend them, but it is up to you to make it clear to them, they expect you to provide a service and you go above and beyond their normal expectations, because you take pride in your work.

They should compensate you for your time, period. How would they feel if you just didn't show up to do the work tomorrow? You can bet they would find a way to contact you since they already paid you 1/2, right? Why should they get a pass for not making it clear to you that your services were not needed today? They shouldn't.

You show up tomorrow and do your job and charge them an extra hour for your trouble yesterday and if they don't think that is fair, then they don't deserve you.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join