It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A long overdue introduction and some wonderful news I would like to share with my friends on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Happy Wednesday Morning ATS!

AOL, Myspace, bebo, yahoo... they have all come and gone, but ATS has still stayed strong.

My profile says I have been a member since 2010 but my lurking and participation on ATS goes back to 2004. I am currently 29 years old and first came across ATS when I worked night shift at an Intel fab during my internship when I was 18 years old. My job was to be the warm body in a warehouse for 12 hours a night. I spent my nights reading ATS (and also BTS for those who know what I am talking about) and all of the wonderful, quirky, and sometimes downright weird postings that go on here. ATS has literally been a major contributor to how I live my life today; it is by far my favorite online community. It has taught me to use logic, rationalization, connect dots, listen to people, and above all; deny ignorance.

Being said, I received some wonderful news today about a new job offer as their acting Director of Marketing and Chief Strategist. I have been incredibly (emphasis) unhappy at my current position for the last year but today I received an offer with more pay, benefits, and a better working environment. Things that I hope will lead to a better standard of living for both myself and my family.

I want to also share that I have no secondary education, no degree, and have never once stepped foot into a college classroom. I have been fired twice, had to take lower positions, and had to live in some not so great areas of town. I am only sharing this because I believe that a lot of people (specifically in my generation) feel a sense of hopelessness about their future. So, I only share this not to toot my own horn, but only as an example that the American Dream is still attainable to everyone that has the patience and work ethic to reach it.

I digress and just wanted to share this with the ATS community because I believe that the last decade of reading posts, replies, and the advice of ATS members has been a huge factor of where I am today.

I also can't put in my notice yet and begin the transition...hence...ATS

Happy Wednesday!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: YayMayorBee

:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Congrats, my friend.

It's always an awesome feeling to be climbing the ladder!

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

Indeed my friend! I appreciate it and plan on continuing my participation here on ATS
edit on 22-7-2015 by YayMayorBee because: added a 'd'

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Good luck to you in whatever comes your way in life.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

That's about the time I discovered ATS as well, but I took me a little longer to join. I appreciate your thread.... So much. We are the same age and while I have been back to college a few times, I've yet to graduate. Actually, I'm far from graduation. I feel like a loser, because we are the generation that college was expected. Though I know it's kind of a broken system.

Anyway, good luck to you! That is SUPER exciting and you should be proud!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

One thing I have learned and developed an opinion on is there is one massive flaw with the colleges sell.

Being that colleges have somehow formulated that they determine the market price of employment. Its literally a huge lie when they say, "Graduate with this degree and make $x". Employers set the price of a position, not the colleges.

So essentially you have hoards of people that go into interviews and demand pay based on what the colleges told them.

I am a prime example that experience goes a lot further than education in a lot of circumstances.
edit on 22-7-2015 by YayMayorBee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Welcome back! Anyone with a puppy dog that cute is ok in my book he looks just like the love of my life Indigo, Indy for short. Good Luck

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hello and welcome back!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Experience certainly should be worth more, but too many are still hung up on that degree! But, I think the tide is changing and we will see the return of apprenticeship and such.

And, your dog is beautiful!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
lol .. brill mate .. chuffed for ya .. u seem to have a good heart ... thanks for sharin your good news with us ....
good news is always good eh
onwards n upwards ... all the best man !!

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

You get a star just for the dog comment

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
While I love all animals, I am partial to huskies, or the like. I grew up with one, her name was Whiteface, and she was a baby!

top topics

join