It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dashcam Video of Violent Arrest of Sandra Bland Was Edited

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

strange with your great wisdom you couldnt grasp i was asking if your job title was #blacklivesmatter activist (which is a silly as hell title), much like i was poking fun at ms bland which incurred the wrath of boadicea in the first place..
edit on 25-7-2015 by DrakeINFERNO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I came across an interesting report about this, www.salon.com... which basically says the trooper had no legal right to ask her to put her cigarette out in the first place. He had already written the ticket and therefore had no right to ask her to do anything else other than send her on her way. The report also says her only crime was not taking shiit from the cop, but cops are trained not to have an ego as it is, although he did so in this case for reasons only he knows, albeit racism would be the obvious one.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sharted

That's an opinion, not a report.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

The report also says her only crime was not taking shiit from the cop, but cops are trained not to have an ego as it is, although he did so in this case for reasons only he knows, albeit racism would be the obvious one.

Bold mine.

For real? Obviously that training is not working...

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

They would be incorrect. So long as she is detained (traffic stop / investigative stop) her 4th amendment rights are curtailed (including passengers in the car) - IE movement and actions. It means law enforcement can ask them to put cigarettes out, and I have done that myself while dealing with people on traffic stops.

It all depends on what is going on at the time the request is made. If an agitation is present and the persons is not following commands a lit cigarette can be used as a weapon. Its better to have them put it out so if a misunderstanding does occur there is no accidental escalation of the lit cigarette makes contact with the officer.

edit on 27-7-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
a reply to: victor7
It's not illegal for me to be a jerk. LEO had better be trained to work with the public that's full of jerks.

go ahead and be a jerk to a LEO, I won't, because there are too many psychotic cops out there

(post by leanhnam220 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
we've known it has been edited since it hit the net, as soon as it went to live leak, it got hammered,inside the first two pages someone called it as edited pointed out the frames and a massive debate ensued.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

They would be incorrect. So long as she is detained (traffic stop / investigative stop) her 4th amendment rights are curtailed (including passengers in the car) - IE movement and actions. It means law enforcement can ask them to put cigarettes out, and I have done that myself while dealing with people on traffic stops.

It all depends on what is going on at the time the request is made. If an agitation is present and the persons is not following commands a lit cigarette can be used as a weapon. Its better to have them put it out so if a misunderstanding does occur there is no accidental escalation of the lit cigarette makes contact with the officer.

The ticket had already been written is why the cop had no legal right to issue further instruction to her, namely to put her cigarette out. The only thing he should have done was walk away and let her carry on with her normal day. Obviously in different circumstances he might have had justification to tell someone to put their cigarette out, but on this occasion he had no legal right to do so.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Its irrelevant if the ticket has already been written. He never got the chance to explain the citation or explain the court process for the ticket. Her demeanor was agitation, which she stated she was, in addition to accusatory by trying to blame the officer for her infractions.

Contrary to popular belief, and courtesy of Texas DPS and a US Supreme Court ruling, an individual can be arrested for basic traffic offense like speeding etc. An individual who refuses to sign a citation can also be arrested. Signing a citation is not an admission of guilt. Its a promise to appear in court to resolve the issue.

He did not ask her to put her cigarette out until she became confrontational. As I stated earlier a lit cigarette can be a danger. The other issue is she refused to step out of the vehicle when she was lawfully ordered to, which can be classified as resisting a lawful detention or stop (or whatever Texas equivalent is).

She was not free to leave until the officer releases her. The end of a traffic stop does not end once the citation is issued. The officer needs to tell the person they are free to leave.

She has no right to a lawyer in her situation as a lawyer would have absolutely no authority to do anything at that time. She also has no ability to try and invoke her 5th amendment in the manner she was attempting.

Traffic offenses fall under a different category than the typical domestic assault, burglary etc. In those situations (traffic) Miranda only applies if a person is in custody / under arrest and the officer is asking guilt seeking questions.

As a side not Miranda warnings are not a "right" but a warning about your rights.

Disputes about officer actions are resolved by the court and not by arguing road side. Law Enforcement is not a part of the judicial branch, hence the reason the issue needs to go to the courts.

Finally if you watch and listen to the dash cam she flat out questions the reason she is being asked to step out of the car for a signal violation.

In the end the courts will need to decide if the officer violated any laws / civil rights.
edit on 27-7-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

He did not ask her to put her cigarette out until she became confrontational. As I stated earlier a lit cigarette can be a danger.

She didn't become confrontational, he did. He was the one who poked her and forced to articulate her frustration. Then he further inflamed the situation by asking her in an impatient and patronizing tone, "Are you done?" At which time she explained that she was just answering the officer's question, and that she was indeed done.

Also, one 4th Amendment rights are not automatically suspended at every traffic stop.

Although the Prouse Court recognized that the purpose of a traffic
stop is limited and the subsequent detention is brief, the
Court ruled that the act of stopping a vehicle and detaining its
occupants constitutes a seizure under the Fourth Amendment.34

When considering challenges to police intrusions that occur
in the context of a motorist detention, the Court looks to the
reasonableness component of the Fourth Amendment.35 While
motorists enjoy significant interests in automobile travel which
are protected by the Fourth Amendment,3 6 a traffic stop lawfully
may be initiated based on an officer's articulable and reasonable
belief that a motorist is in violation of the traffic law.

The law regarding an officer's intentions during traffic stops
developed from the Supreme Court's holding in Terry v. Ohio!"
Terry represented a departure from the Court's prior requirement
that a police officer needed probable cause to suspect
criminal activity when detaining an individual. 9 The central
tenet of Terry provides that, "[in] justifying the particular intrusion
the police officer must be able to point to specific and articulable
facts which, taken together with the rational inferences
from those facts, reasonably warrant that intrusion."0 The Terry
Court employed a two-prong analysis to determine whether the
step was reasonable: (1) whether the police officer was justified
at the beginning of the stop; and (2) whether the officer's actions
were reasonably related to the circumstances that triggered
the initial interference.'

scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu...

The arresting officer has been found to be in violation of policy and has been suspended and reassigned to desk duty. Good he doesn't get a vacation!

“We have identified violations of the department’s procedures regarding traffic stops and the department’s courtesy policy,” said the Texas Department of Public Safety in an updated statement later on Thursday. “Pending the outcome of the Texas Ranger and FBI investigation into this incident, the employee involved has been assigned administrative duties [and] at the conclusion of this investigation, any violations of protocols will be addressed.”

Officer Who Arrested Sandra Bland Suspended
edit on 27-7-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Finally if you watch and listen to the dash cam she flat out questions the reason she is being asked to step out of the car for a signal violation.

How dare she do such a thing?
Everyone knows that it is standard policy for cops to remove drivers from their cars with a threat of using the Taser on them on a traffic stop for not signalling a lane change.... right?

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

The stop doesn't end until she signs the ticket and the officer tells her to be on her way...just because the ticket has been written doesn't mean the stop is over.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I did not see that the first few times. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. That still doesn't change the fact that she disobeyed lawful orders...

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

You think racism in the UK is lower than the US????????

HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

What kind of bubble do you live in?

en.wikipedia.org...

The UK is far more racist than the US as I have spent a good chunk of my youth over there (Ireland, Scotland, Wales)

I guess they are doing a good job of brainwashing their cit's over there.

Edit, just because you have laws that make it illegal to be racist doesn't mean you have less racism. Get real.
edit on 27-7-2015 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Again, he will be back on the streets in no time. He did nothing illegal. They'll give him a sensitivity training and that's it.

You are still confused about the 4th amendment. At any time an officer can order you from a vehicle. Stop ignoring facts and laws.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Again, he will be back on the streets in no time. He did nothing illegal.

Maybe. But he DID violate PD policy. I think that counts as "illegal", at the very least "unreasonable".

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
if she needs to be checked for his safety, then why didn't that happen at the beginning. It seems obvious he just lost his cool and then decided to give her grief and go all police on her.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Rudeness isn't illegal. He'll undergo a years worth of administrative jobs and take sensitivity training and then be back out there.

What Sandra did WAS illegal. No way around that.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

If you check your sarcasm you would notice the claim was he pulled her out of the car for refusing to put her cigarette out, which is not the case.

new topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join