It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embedding Twitter posts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
out of curiosity.

Do other members think it would be a good idea to implement embedding of twitter posts in the forum?

Like some news sites do already.

Some good breaking news comes out of twitter.

Like this tweet here that shows a crashed mq-1c drone.

twitter.com...

What does everyone think about this?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580
My reading of the terms and conditions is that what you just did, linking to a twitter post, is perfectly fine.

Again my interpretation of the same terms and conditions is that you can't do what you're suggesting, unless of course the terms and conditions are re-written or unless I misinterpreted them, or unless you get advance written permission. Here is the clause that seems to apply:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

15d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance written permission from TAN or their agents).

Twitter posts seems like another "discussion board" to me but maybe ATS sees it differently?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur
My understanding of "cross-posting" has been that it means re-posting your own material, originally posted on another site.
In other words, let ATS be your first place of publication.
(The second half of that paragraph in the terms is about proxy-posting contributions from banned members)
If that's the true interpretation, it would not affect posting of other people's Twitters.
Perhaps the point could be clarified.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
My understanding of "cross-posting" has been that it means re-posting your own material, originally posted on another site.
In other words, let ATS be your first place of publication...Perhaps the point could be clarified.
If that's what it meant then it should say "You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards where you are the author", but since it doesn't specify that, it seems to me you're reading that clause into it, which I see no reason to do.

Aside from strict interpretation, I'd guess part of the rationale is that ATS claims certain rights to material that's posted on their forums. If you're posting discussions written entirely by other people on other forums, ATS may have no such rights, so by prohibiting such posts they avoid a potential conflict, but I'm just guessing here.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
That's not what I'm asking.

Much like how we have the youtube button to embed videos on the page.

Should ATS add another button that will embed tweets?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580
The youtube embeds don't include discussion from other discussion boards so that doesn't break the T&C.

Whether you post content from other discussion boards using a "Ex" button, or an "embed" button, you would still need written permission from the management, so it seems like a feature that wouldn't be used often enough to warrant adding a button since how many people are going to request written permission and even if it's requested, how often will it be granted? I really don't see much distinction between your proposed "embed" and just using external quote tags except maybe some cosmetics but no difference in actual content. What's wrong with the link you posted in the OP? That works.

How many times have you seen ATS management grant written permission for someone to post content from other discussion boards?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Well like the video youtube embed.

it puts the content right on the page.

Without having to navigate away from the website to see the tweet.

That's all. I thought it might be a nice feature to have.

new topics

top topics

join