It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Providence Rhode Island this am

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So this morning I was up watching tv and heard a loud long thunder sound. It was strange enough to cause me to get up and look out the windows. As it seemed to be clear skies I checked my weather radar and that was clear as well. Have to say it left me scratching my head at the strangeness of it.

Come to find out we had a small earthquake. Earhtquake News

I didn't feel it and I'm actually located just a couple miles from where it occurred if that far. One doesn't think of "hearing" a earthquake. At least that wasn't my first thought when I heard what I thought was strange thunder. My cats did perk up, but I don't know if it is because they heard it or felt it.

What I am really thinking about now more than anything is the fact the just a couple weeks ago we had that still unexplained explosion at the beach, plus a couple other unexplained explosions and now this earthquake.
Anyone think this might all be related somehow?
edit on 7/22/15 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

I live in LA, so I have felt and been through enough in the past 8 years to say, I do not think the sound and quake are related. A 2.3 would not have enough friction to cause such a loud noise. IMHO.

Is the time of the quake the exact same time you heard the sound?

Larger EQ, I guess can be quite loud. The largest I have been in was 7 years ago, it was a 5.6, that went on for 45 seconds...it seemed like forever. No sound though, accept for stuff rattling in the house.
edit on 22-7-2015 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-7-2015 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall
Yes the times are the same. I always look at the clock when things happen around here as my neighborhood isn't the greatest. It has become habit. Also in local news it appears I'm not the only one that heard it. Some folks have mentioned all kinds of sounds they thought it was including a plane crash

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Very interesting, I am sure it could be then...Maybe the quake was shallow, which would explain the sound.?.?.?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I bet if you look it up on youtube, there are posts of EQ sounds. I am on a tablet or I would check it out for you and post what I found. Just to see if they sound similar. I have definitely heard other people talk about hearing EQ's.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Indeed many sounds are related to ground/plate movement. The US will be in the firing line soon noted in My post in the predictions forum yesterday.

These sounds (booms,hums and groans) occur due to friction or by the same principle as a thunder clap when a void is created within the Earth..yet another sign it seems!

Here's your answer friend:
poleshift.ning.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

And I would think that a quake in RI would be different, or may act differently, than a quake in Cali. And I'm guessing that yes, this probably does have to do with the strange explosion on the beach. Strange land subsidence events releasing gases and this one was probably large enough to register as a small quake.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

look here to see how many people and at what distances reported feeling it- earthquake.usgs.gov...

hope that helps !

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hmmm strange. I just listened to a few things and the only one that I can say sounded somewhat like it, was oddly the 9.0 that hit japan that was captured and recorded underwater. Even though the sound has been speed up 16 times according to the video, the first half of it did have a bit of the thunder sound too it.

Just for a side note, my cat was sleeping while I was listening too all of them. When I played the underwater one she got right up and came over got in my lap and started kneading on me.... Weird.

Anyhow here is the video:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonlover12

Yes it did thanks. There were actually 4 responses just in my tiny zip code. Wish I could figure out how to read what the others said. Any tip on that?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

all the report does is have you fill in items on a questionnaire... then USGS calculates the "felt it" number. The higher the number, the more it was felt.

But at least you know that even though it was a small quake, it didn`t go "unfelt ". The kind of ground you are on can make a difference in how much it is felt, and also what you are doing at the time... for example, someone in a car may not have noticed, but someone in a house sitting in a desk chair might feel it more.

There is a field on the form for "comments", but they are the only ones that can see that.

Doing a report at the USGS may seem pointless, but it only takes a minute and it helps with quake research. And that is a "very good thing"

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonlover12
I definitely filled it all out. Was just wishing I could see the other reports. I believe it was up to 90 some people that did report it though. I was in the light blue area. Like I said, I am only a couple miles away from where it happened and probably not even that much as the crow flies.

I have also noticed while looking at all this that Connecticut has been slammed the last three days as well with little ones. Don't know if they have had any explosions lately though. Starting to think I'm glad I'm moving back to Florida in a couple weeks!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

A few years ago we had a 5.3 here in CO. I heard a loud rolling thunder sound that started in the rocky outcropping at the back of our property, as it advanced it got much louder. I didn't know what it was, then I felt the shaking. I ran for the door but the sound was gone.

The epicenter was south of us in a rock canyon that extends all the way to our property. I wondered if rock/boulders carried the sound.

When lightning strikes the outcropping, the blast sounds different than when it hits trees down below. Big boulders/rock walls can amplify sound, that's how Colorado's red rocks amphitheater works.

Not everyone hears earthquakes coming but I sure did. I chalk it up to surrounding bare rock. I imagine dirt layers muffle sound but rock not so much.

I had never felt an earthquake before and assumed what I heard was normal. The skies were clear so it wasn't thunder. It was loud and moving fast in our direction. At first I thought a low flying plane was about to crash in our meadow.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Is this the same area where the boats caught fire. Also the beach that the lady got blasted/launched on the beach?

Thanks for the information.

edit on 22-7-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Folks in Philadelphia. Are hearing loud explosion with no reason as well..:

edit on 22-7-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Kurthall is right. You don't tend to hear sounds when an EQ occurs. The only sound is the rattling of stuff and if you are in a building, the structure can start creaking around. You will hear dogs bark as well.

I've never heard of an EQ occurring in Rhode Island though... First time for me to hear an EQ occurring that far east. Is it common to have small shakes over there?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

No the beach blast was more on the southern end of the state while this was more centered. If you are referring to the other explosions, they were also different locations.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: blackmetalmist
If you read the short article I link to at the top of page you will see lots of people described hearing it but not feeling it. It really was a unusual type of thunder sound. I grew up in south Florida so I have heard all kinds of thunder. This was just different somehow.
Like I also mentioned, something is going on as I noticed conn. has had a chain of eq's for the last three days

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
We had a minor quake literally feet from my home, in the woods, in our tiny town of clementon SOuth Jersey, I swear, I heard a boom 1st, the entire sunporch was shaking so bad, I thought our heater room exploded & I thought our hill was finally giving away. Back in the day, my hubs grands built our home on a hill, so yeah, I was terrified in a house almost 100 years old built on the side of a hill. Never even knew we had a fault in these woods?? Sometimes quakes hit in the oddest places......that Virginia quake cracked my upper 3rd story wooden floor & left all the doors almost impossible to close!!! It did make the news too....like I said, strange places for quakes sometimes.....
thanks for posting OP! O yeah, the epicenter was directly in my woods. I don't know what the pop was, but yes, rumbling also followed....forgot to S&F you. Lol...

edit on 7/22/15 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

Here's the link to mine. If you look at the map, those are my woods...lol...: www.nj.com...
edit on 7/22/15 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: j.r.c.b.

You mentioned rumbling also followed. Now I'm wondering if I heard the thunder rumble before, during, or after it had happened. I also wonder if that makes any kind of difference seeing as sound isn't always something associated with earthquakes as a rule.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
a reply to: j.r.c.b.

You mentioned rumbling also followed. Now I'm wondering if I heard the thunder rumble before, during, or after it had happened. I also wonder if that makes any kind of difference seeing as sound isn't always something associated with earthquakes as a rule.

I feel I should clarify the rumbling. It was during the quake, which is what made me think my hill was slipping, or my heater room, directly below my sunporch was gonna blow. When your in the middle of the quake, you know how it feels like it lasts longer then it actually is?? It was a freaky wave like sound & sensation, the rumbling was the last to stop. The shaking stopped only seconds before the rumbling. Hope I cleared that up. Definately an event that I will never forget!! FYI-I actually was on my iPad at the time, & as soon as it ended I do remember checking my weather radar, I wanted to be sure I wasn't hearing things. All was clear that night. The thing is, it was all felt & heard under me......I guess it makes sense, since it wasn't very deep.......

new topics

top topics

join