It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Durham Police wont prosecute cannabis offences.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Cannabis growers won’t be prosecuted in Durham

A police force has said it will no longer seek to prosecute small-scale producers of cannabis. In a meeting with pro-cannabis activists, Durham’s Police and Crime Commissioner Ron Hogg confirmed that Durham Constabulary will only go after users if a complaint is made or their actions are ‘blatant’. The force will continue to tackle large-scale cannabis farms and other serious issues relating to the drug but it will offer anybody caught in possession or growing small amounts the opportunity to avoid criminal prosecution altogether. Read more: metro.co.uk...

YEY! Abit of common in the UK for once on Cannabis!

Honestly Colorado should be proof the war on drugs or at least Cannabis is a joke!

For a laugh here is what the daily fail has to say.

I wish Mary Brett and her skunksense anti pot campaign just jump off a cliff. Her "think of the children" whining is tiring.

Old hags like her and the Home secretary's need putting out to pasture
edit on 22-7-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Well that's a good start. Its nice to see our pome brothers are moving up in the world, attempting to behave like rational human beings!

I think it was back in about 2007 when the dailymail was reporting the ridiculous claim that one puff can cause schizophrenia. Even though cannabis use has been constantly rising since the 60's, yet schizophrenia rates have remained stable at 1 to 2 percent the whole time.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Back in 2007?

The daily fail are still at it.

Apparently its a "deadly drug" responsible for rising mental health problems and deaths

But yeah the UK is lagging abit behind the rest of Europe and parts of the USA on this.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

To be honest, they haven't really actively pursued cannabis users for some time here in County Durham, they have had a common sense approach for a while.
I think they would rather utilise what resources they have for what we are led to believe are far more 'serious' crimes.

The daily fail are still at it.
Apparently its a "deadly drug" responsible for rising mental health problems and deaths

I know many long term users who believe that the 'introduction' of skunk and super skunk has indeed led to a rise in mental health issues.

But yeah the UK is lagging abit behind the rest of Europe and parts of the USA on this.

Personally I believe that the whole 'drugs are bad and should be illegal' attitude is archaic and repressive - unfortunately I don't think we are able to hold a serious discussion about this without transgressing T&C so I for one will leave it there, I have no desire to get banned.

edit on 22/7/15 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Pretty similar in North Yorkshire, although they would never admit it publicly. If someone is taking the piss, they get busted. If not, they (Police) don't really care. We have more important stuff to worry about here, like sheep rustling and farm gates being left open - grrr, bloody townies!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Oh Mary Brett you silly plum,
roll one up and have some fun.

Sounds like old Mary needs to chill out.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: restless genius

Oh Mary Brett you silly plum,
roll one up and have some fun.

Sounds like old Mary needs to chill out.

Mary Brett
Don't be a get
Change your middle name
Then you'll be Mary Jane!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I know many long term users who believe that the 'introduction' of skunk and super skunk has indeed led to a rise in mental health issues.

Firstly, pomes need to start learning the correct terms when it comes to strains of cannabis. Skunk #1 isn't even all that potent in reality.

Secondly, although strains with a high THC and low CBD content can play havoc on people who are prone to mental health issues, the fact remains that CBD is actually an anti-psychotic.

In other words, if cannabis was legal people would be able to choose a strain which is actually healthy for them. Rather than being forced to go to there local drug dealer to obtain a strain that has an unknown cannabinoid content, which will have a totally random effect.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Nail on head. CBD in illegal weed is scarce and most dealers are developing high THC plants as they sell the best but the problem is CBD is the anti-psychotic component and without it certain people are prone to having mental issues.
Legalise and let them have the choice, it's simple.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
good for them. there is SO much more to worry about than folks having a 'laugh and a joke' as they wish.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Firstly, pomes need to start learning the correct terms when it comes to strains of cannabis.

You say tomaytoe I say tomartoe.

Skunk #1 isn't even all that potent in reality.

I guess that's a subjective point of view.

Secondly, although strains with a high THC and low CBD content can play havoc on people who are prone to mental health issues, the fact remains that CBD is actually an anti-psychotic.

That's probably true.

In other words, if cannabis was legal people would be able to choose a strain which is actually healthy for them. Rather than being forced to go to there local drug dealer to obtain a strain that has an unknown cannabinoid content, which will have a totally random effect.

Again, I'd tend to agree with that.

All I was pointing out was that many of my 'older' friends dislike what is traded as skunk and super skunk here and believe that excessive use - whatever 'excessive' is - can lead to mental issues.

I neither agree nor disagree.

What I do believe is the current policies used by most countries isn't working and personally I believe there should be a radical rethink in approach - that's it really.
Not much more I can really say on the matter here, been there and had the big stick waved at me.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Firstly, pomes need to start learning the correct terms when it comes to strains of cannabis. Skunk #1 isn't even all that potent in reality.

SWIM has medical problems here in the UK and that person uses medical MJ and they have a very hard time finding strains that are not Skunk and are forced to grow small amounts of medical strains.

This prohibition of cannabis just causes more exposure to the more potent strains.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
good for them. there is SO much more to worry about than folks having a 'laugh and a joke' as they wish.

They can start will the pedos sitting in Westminster and the BBC.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The thing is its estimated that there are more growers in the UK than serving police officers, which means it would take every copper in the UK to concentrate on growers at the expense of every other crime in the UK. So it's a no brainier for the police force. If drug policy was really about harm reduction then alcohol and tobacco would be the illegal drugs.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

It stupid as its not just a plant its a freaking WEED!

How could they ever expect to outlaw a weed is beyond me

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok it cause some damage in a few, but compared to alcohol and cigs it's nowhere near as dangerous, so the governments drug policy is certainly not about harm reduction anyway I'm unclear on what the goal of drugs policy in the UK is? Public safety? Harm reduction? Ecstasy, coke and mushrooms are all much safer than the legal drugs, but classified as being more dangerous

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Explain to me again the stance:

"Don't blame cops......they are only there to enforce the law"

I guess I can start blaming cops again since this is blatant picking and choosing which laws to enforce?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Colorado? How about Portugal? They ended the war on drugs 14 years ago (not just cannabis), yet NO one wants to talk about the MAJOR success they've been having with drug use rates and addictions. Anyone who tells you there is no evidence that legalizing drugs wouldn't work is spreading disinformation.
edit on 22-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It's a case of allocating resources in a time of austerity. The police have suffered a lot of cuts with more on the way. Best not waste those valuable resources on victimless crime

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
It's a case of allocating resources in a time of austerity. The police have suffered a lot of cuts with more on the way. Best not waste those valuable resources on victimless crime

It might be one of the good things to come out the cuts.

It may get to the point were they have to decriminalize drugs across the UK.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join