It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldest Fragments Of The Koran Discovered....In Birmingham.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Although not A Muslim myself, i find stories on discoveries of ancient antiquity fascinating.

It has just been revealed that possibly the oldest fragments of The Koran have been discovered at Birmingham University. What makes this discovery more interesting, is that they where more than likely written when the Prophet Muhammad was alive, and what's more; the writer may have known The Prophet personally.

Story here

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
Although not A Muslim myself, i find stories on discoveries of ancient antiquity fascinating.

It has just been revealed that possibly the oldest fragments of The Koran have been discovered at Birmingham University. What makes this discovery more interesting, is that they where more than likely written when the Prophet Muhammad was alive, and what's more; the writer may have known The Prophet personally.

Story here

www.bbc.co.uk...

Wow! Mankind has hope now to live in harmony.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Interesting...thanks for the post

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This one piece throws up alarms for me...

The British Library's expert on such manuscripts, Dr Muhammad Isa Waley, said this "exciting discovery" would make Muslims "rejoice".

Who's not to say that he's biased or fanatical himself? Sure, it's just a name, but I would have to know his stance on the koran before I take it for truth. Who dated the scripts? Was it the good dr?

It gives a hint to the dater...

When a PhD researcher, Alba Fedeli, looked more closely at these pages it was decided to carry out a radiocarbon dating test and the results were "startling".

Still no closer to believing that there wasn't some biased intent here.

edit on 22-7-2015 by StallionDuck because: added

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Who dated the scripts? Was it the good dr

If you read the full article, it will answer your question.

The tests, carried out by the Oxford University Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit, showed that the fragments, written on sheep or goat skin, were among the very oldest surviving texts of the Koran.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Very neat story. I love old stuff.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The scariest part about these finds is the leap made by adherents to said religion. This will be seen, not as an exceptional find that helps to validate or correct current textual accuracy, but as a sign from god that "insert religion here" is the only correct one, and everyone else is wrong. How timely can a find like this particular one be? Considering current world events.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Interesting discovery! Being written in the archaic Hijazi script is a wonderful face-value indicator of its age.

I would love to get a facsimile copy of the text and compare it to today's standard Qur'an. Every ancient Qur'anic manuscript has, so far, contained significant variations as compared to today's. There is not a single ancient Qur'an that is word-for-word or letter-for-letter identical to today's. Although this particular manuscript may be the oldest, it may add further evidence to the fact that today's Qur'an has underwent change, editions, omissions, and corruption.

Islam's Incorruptible Qur'an Is Corrupt

edit on 7/22/15 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Who's not to say that he's biased or fanatical himself? Sure, it's just a name, but I would have to know his stance on the koran before I take it for truth.

There's no reason to suspect religious bias, because no issues between the Koran and other religions or between the Koran and unbelief depend on how old the manuscripts are.
(More reason to be wary of competition between libraries)
Yes, I expect he's a Muslim. A Muslim would be more likely to ask for the job of examining a Koran manuscript.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Wait, wasn't the Koran an oral tradition long before it was ever written down? If this was written while Mohammed was still alive then what does that say about the oral tradition? Maybe I'm wrong here, but I remember hearing it was oral long before being written down. Correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The Qur'an was and still is an oral tradition. Although it is written, it is preferred to recite it aloud. The illiterate Muhammad employed several scribes to record various Qur'anic recitations. Many early Muslims also recorded Qur'anic verses. However, Islam's third successor, Uthman ibn Affan, ordered an empire-wide initiative to burn and destroy all existent manuscripts in order to implement a single standardized codex.

Islam's Incorruptible Qur'an Is Corrupt

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Found in Birmingham? Oh, the delicious irony!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Where do you think I pulled the information from....?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

With all due respect, that's exactly what I would suspect. It's like asking a blue bell rep to describe it's ice cream flavors

I would like to see a dated sample be done by someone who is not in or partial to this field. A "check your work" kind of situation. That would hold more water to me than this. I'm just skeptical. Seems like the logical thing to do.

new topics

top topics

join