It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers remotely kill a jeep on the highway...with me in it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
(Source)

I was driving 70 mph on the edge of downtown St. Louis when the exploit began to take hold.

Though I hadn’t touched the dashboard, the vents in the Jeep Cherokee started blasting cold air at the maximum setting, chilling the sweat on my back through the in-seat climate control system. Next the radio switched to the local hip hop station and began blaring Skee-lo at full volume. I spun the control knob left and hit the power button, to no avail. Then the windshield wipers turned on, and wiper fluid blurred the glass.

I was having an issue embedding the video. Click to view the video.

This is a very interesting read. It does make you think about where technology in vehicles is going to the future and the securities we as owners will need to put in place to protect ourselves and our family members while driving on vacation (holiday) or just down the street to the local grocery store.

Disclaimer....I did a search and didn't find this topic. If this is a duplicate, I apologize in advance.
edit on 22-7-2015 by KnightFire because: Added video

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Just asking for a Government scare campaign.

Evil home grown terrorists creating mayhem on our roads

To Catch these evil doers, the Police will need to act quickly. Therefore, the Fourth Amendment needs to be suspended for a short time!

It is only to catch these terrorists. In the dark recesses of the internet, the FBI has found the blueprints for these hackers. The hack originated from ISIS (or whatever group they feel like.)

Why a car needs to talk to the outside world is anyone's guess. It is a bloody car!

P

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightFire

Nothing personal against the poster, here, but, these two clever dick hackers need a damn good thrashing for an act of supreme stupidity.

Have them arrested and keelhauled... Then horse whipped, before disembowelling them with a rusty spade..

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: chalybeate

If it was not for these two clever dicks, we the people, would never know this was possible. Now car manufacturers are going to have to take steps to ensure this cannot happen. The stupidity here is the car manufacturers for allowing this in the first place.

What idiot put this into the car in the first place and what board room numskulls gave it the approval.

This is just so stupid! Blame the right people!

P

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Hmm, interesting.
My 2015 Fusion has Ford SYNC which connects to the internet. I wonder if the hackers can get into my whip.

Its pretty stupid when your car tells you it needs an update.
Even weirder is when you have to wait for 45 minutes for the car to download and install the update.

EDIT: Never mind, it seems this exploit is only in the jeeps software.
edit on 22-7-2015 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Brought this up in a thread recently.

There's actually a lot of study that has gone into this over the last 5 years.

Relevant Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Fair point, Pheonix ! Though for the life of me I cannot think why cars need all this over sophistication.

I'd still have the hackers arrested for reckless endangerment though !

Perhaps my justice was a trifle extreme...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: chalybeate a damn good thrashing

star for use of a splendid phrase

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I am no taking this lightly, the issue here is not about the hackers that show us what the intrusive government approved technology in out cars, homes, computers and else all around us can be used for, but why we the public are not asked if we want it or not

We are now been monitored even in the privacy or our rooms this days.

Wake up people or better yet, is too late now.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I wonder how long the NSA has been exploiting this.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: chalybeate
a reply to: KnightFire

Nothing personal against the poster, here, but, these two clever dick hackers need a damn good thrashing for an act of supreme stupidity.

Have them arrested and keelhauled... Then horse whipped, before disembowelling them with a rusty spade..

Completely agree with you!!!

I also agree with pheonix358 -

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: chalybeate

If it was not for these two clever dicks, we the people, would never know this was possible. Now car manufacturers are going to have to take steps to ensure this cannot happen. The stupidity here is the car manufacturers for allowing this in the first place.

What idiot put this into the car in the first place and what board room numskulls gave it the approval.

This is just so stupid! Blame the right people!

P

edit on 22-7-2015 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Actually, hasn't On-star been able to do this for years now?

If reported stolen, on star can tell the police your location, cut your engine, and unlock the doors.

I sounds like the hacking program is something similar to that

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Given my personal experience with owning a Jeep (2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, bought new off the lot), it's quite possible that these things just happened all on their own, without any external prompting.

That aside, I'm surprised that the manufacturers don't use AES in the software. Maybe it's because each piece is designed and developed independently and incorporating it would be too difficult. Seems like it might be something needed now.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Actually, hasn't On-star been able to do this for years now?

If reported stolen, on star can tell the police your location, cut your engine, and unlock the doors.

I sounds like the hacking program is something similar to that

You are correct! On-star has had this capability for years. The power behind it is just now being exploited. The whole world is interconnected in some way, shape or form. The only exception on-star is satellite driven, where these guys were able to hack in using Wi-Fi a much easier system to hack.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
It was so stupid for them to demonstrate this on a busy highway. They could have seriously caused a wreck

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Every dollar the car manufacturers spend to add security is a dollar that doesn't go in management's pocket.

They won't fix an ignition switch that is killing people. Compared to that, this one is huge.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Just asking for a Government scare campaign.

So despite the fact that you've just seen the evidence for yourself, that this is not a manufactured conspiracy to scare you, and despite the fact that the government hasn't done anything in relation to this including not making any statements at all about it, you instantly jump to "IT'S A CONSPIRACY FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO SCARE US ALL INTO BEING SLAVES!!!!!!111111"

This forum becomes more and more irrational every damn day.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Ive got a bluetooth OBD-II dongle which allows my smart phone to communicate with my vehicle (read DTC codes, view pertinent engine parameters, watch real time readings from sensors on the engine, activate/deactivate systems for diagnosing purposes, etc). It has a pretty far range (20' or so) and can do all sorts of thing. If I were better at programming I could even do more complex things with it to the vehicle ECU.

Although this is a little bit of a different situation.... someone could easily make a dongle with a longer range and all someone would have to do is plug it into someones car without them knowing (its very small and 99% of people would never know if it were in their vehicle) and they could follow the vehicle and easily disable it [or activate 100% throttle position
] and so on via the bluetooth connection.

Just my input!
edit on 22-7-2015 by charolais because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
You can patch the system to stop
outside interference.
www.wired.com...

I understand this hack is very involved , and the likelihood of it ever happening in
the real world is negligible .
Apparently everytime the car starts, it uses a new code with the SP,
so predicing this is next to impossible .

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Is this what happened to Micheal Hastings? Or did he just decide to go full speed down a residential road for no apparent reason?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join