It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KC-46 LRIP could be delayed 8 months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Based on ongoing problems in developing the KC-46, the first LRIP contract for 19 aircraft could be delayed as much as 8 months, to April 2016. The first actual KC-46 flight will be in September, after delays caused by wiring issues cropped up.

The latest delays were caused by undisclosed problems with the refueling system. The first aircraft has been performing ground testing of the fuel and boom system in Washington.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Here..
theaviationist.com...

Concept photo..
images.military.com...

And what is this? 707-335 Phalcon?

www.jetforums.net...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

And what is this? 707-335 Phalcon?

www.jetforums.net...

Similar to the EC-18 the AF flew to monitor telemetry from Apollo and the shuttle flights among other things.
edit on 7/22/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Interesting how big the nose section is for the Radar..wings are interesting as well..
Thanks for that info. :-)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I was told that the radar in the nose of the EC-18 could watch objects in orbit.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Would I be right in thinking the KC-45 would have been in service by now? I well remember how the "Frankentanker " was said to be fraught with risk.

It's a shame that political expediency was allowed to so blatantly outweigh operational benefit.
edit on 25-7-2015 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

It would still be in development as well, but may not be having the problems their having. The time line, regardless of which aircraft won was for 2017 delivery of the first batch.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Was that the timeline for the second competition though? I can't remember but it all seems a long time ago when that particular debate raged on here.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos

For the one that was contested? Close to that. Late 2016, early 2017 was the schedule IIRC for that one. They left a little more development room in that contract because of the previous issues.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

even though they might be delayed by 8 months Boeing isnt really worried cause their main goal of delivering the initial 18 aircraft in 2017 is still a go. I just couldnt believe all the flight testing they are delaying until after LRIP contract is given out.

Even though the 767 is a proven air frame, everything on the KC-46 is new. It all has to be FAA certified as well. Its not just strapping some centerline fuel tanks and a boom to the jet and calling it good like they did on the KC-767.

new topics

top topics

join