It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passenger Vehicles ... Attack-n-Hack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

In what is being called "the first of its kind," Wired.com reports that hackers, using just a laptop and mobile phone, accessed a Jeep Cherokee's on-board systems (via its wireless internet connection), took control and crashed the car into a ditch from 10 miles away sitting on their sofa.

Coming just weeks after the FBI claimed a US hacker took control of a passenger jet he was on in the first known such incident of its kind, the incident shows just how vulnerable we are to modern technology.

470,000 Vehicles At Risk

-
OPINION:

For 'Passenger Vehicles' this dependant and/or controlled by electronics regardless of being remote-controlled and/or hackable ...

Also be aware of the ... EMP-(electromagnetic pulse)-Threats.

or might there be numerous reasons for a market of 1960s-like electronic-less passenger-vehicles ???

EMP Effects on Vehicles

edit on 21-7-2015 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Why would you have an onboard wireless internet connection in your car? Connected to critical systems, no less. That's just asking for trouble.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

I remember reading something like this a while ago...they hacked a toyota prius and were able to control the throttle,steering and switch on an off vital components like air bags and stuff.....that would not be much fun for the driver i imagine....

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

There is a great article I will try to find that talks about how we will start to see are first death by hacking within the next 5 years...but probably sooner. It is going to open up a whole new type of crime world that regular police aren't equipped for. Imagine a hacker serial killer.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

yikes, that is a scary thought..........

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Makes me think of Michael Hastings.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind having critical vehicular control systems (steering, throttle, brakes, etc.) connected to the internet? What possible benefit could there be in that?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'm having a very hard time believing that video was actually legit. That opened them up and Wired up to a TON of criminal charges and lawsuits.

It is incredibly unsafe to cut power from a vehicle or cause those kinds of distractions when it's on a public road of any type, especially an interstate.

I'll freely admit I don't know enough to state that hacking a vehicles entertainment system won't grant you access to other systems in the vehicle, only that from a legal standpoint I would be amazed if Wired actually allowed this. Think about what would happen if there was a mistake and someone was killed, Wired would be up poo creek.
edit on 2120150720151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm guessing higher end car models do it so the car can phone home when it needs a service/update/maintenance or when somethings failing etc.

It probably wasn't designed to be able to control those aspects, but hackers are pretty incredible when it comes to tinkering with a systems abilities.

whats more concerning is the latest trial taking place in Australia
www.news.com.au...

IMAGINE having a car that could drop you at work before heading to your partner’s office and then ferrying your children to separate schools.

Well, driverless cars are no longer some sci-fi movie gimmick, the first vehicle is due to hit Australian roads this year and they will soon have the ability to transform how we live.

While much of the discussion around driverless cars has been around whether they will make driving safer, policy makers are now coming to grips with how much they could reduce congestion and make major road investments redundant.

The first trial of a driverless car will take place in South Australia in November, on Adelaide’s Southern Expressway. It will be the first of many held across the country as part of a national research initiative.

Advocates say autonomous vehicles could significantly improve road safety, quality of life and even Australia’s economic competitiveness.

Are we so lazy we cannot drive ourselves around any more?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

They've been testing self-driving cars in the U.S. for a few years, and there have been at least a couple tests on public roads.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Are we so lazy we cannot drive ourselves around any more?

It's not really a matter of being lazy. If computers were in control there would be no traffic jams or accidents, we would save trillions in parts that wear out with stop and go traffic and fuel, and lives would be saved. Time would be saved. You could hop in your car and get a bunch done while on the way to the office instead of simply focusing on driving.

People used to say similar things about online communication, and pretty much every technological advancement. I'm sure someone complained about sliced bread.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I predicted this would happen. I'm not sure if I mentioned it on ATS, but I said years ago this would happen. I predict it will happen more in the future as well. It hopefully won't ever hurt or kill anyone. A lot of these companies making this could do their best to "secure" the data, and someone will always find a way to get to it.

Why would anyone want to buy a vehicle that can be remote-controlled from miles away
- if they knew it could be driven remotely! You can just about bet that the "camera" option isn't included in the default vehicle package. That's if the victim is even lucky enough to have the intruder use the on-board camera if there is one!

Adding remote control to any vehicle was never a good idea. People trust in computers and wi-fi WAY too much these days.

I predict there will be a number of deaths before "Everything's fine and all the security holes are all patched up and everyone is safe folks!" Possibly some that are rich and famous. Possibly political deaths or assassinations [...car went off the road, etc., etc..].

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

This actually isn't all that far fetched. Stuff They don't want you to know did a show on it.

As a matter of fact, there's a conspiracy theory stating that Michael Hastings was murdered this way.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Onstar

They do it all for a low monthly fee.
edit on 22-7-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
They might be able to disable power steering, but i highly doubt they can actually steer the vehicle...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bovah2
They might be able to disable power steering, but i highly doubt they can actually steer the vehicle...

Depends on class and model. with advancement in sensors and the "Internet of Everything" cars can self parallel park and maneuver in traffic. Some newer cars already have many of these introductory features. With your safety in mind....of course.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Most of that is feasible.
I am however having trouble coming to terms with said remote control of steering.

Cars today have various control modules along with very sophisticated ECU's - the upside is bugger all tweaking between services. And longer service intervals and seviceable life in general.

Downside is - you can no longer check - spark - fuel - points - condenser etc. If it stops ...

Pull the mobile/cell ... not the bonnet/hood !! Lol !

I have drive by wire on my 2010 CX7, the steering however is not. What vehicle has electrically operated/enhanced steering?

And why does it not default to driver in the chance that one may jump on the brake at the realization that you have lost most control ...?

Not buying it - holus bolus ... need more checked facts.

top topics

join