It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

special forces profiles

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear
First im 13 so stop makin fun of youngins. Now i dont know that much about how good different special forces are and since im from the USA i was wondering if the SEAL's were good compared to other SF??? Or some of their known succesful operations.

Well they did some good ops in the vietnam war they did a lot of good operations in the Mekong Delta. They actually captured a lot of important documents from the enemy that really helped with the intelligence on their enemy army. Also they were really good at setting up ambushes and destroying enemy supplies, they destroyed thousands of pounds of rice, and they also destroyed a lot of enemy grenades, guns, rockets, etc. Look up their operations in the Mekong on google there's plenty of more stuff their.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
First the whole argument about british forces being at the prison break, at the time the was footage of the troops firing back over the walls (will be on the web somewhere). Unless the US special forces are recruiting in Southern England and Scotland the voices you can hear are most definatly not US.

Secondly the UK and Dutch naval assets have a long history of working together so it is no suprise that the Naval special forces do joint ops. The dutch took over running the perisher course for sub commanders when we got rid of our DE subs. Our new amphibous ships are also based on Dutch designs.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I History

In 1953- 54 the Pakistan Army created an elite commando unit with the US Army's help. To disguise its true mission the new unit was simply designated 10 bn. Of The Baluch Regiment The battalion was posted to a new headquarters at Cherat near Attock City. In march 1964 a Mobile Training Team from the US Army Special Forces Group (airborne) went to Pakistan to set up a new airborne school at Peshawar for 19 Baluch. The training facility included basic and jumpmaster courses. All members of Baluch 19 were airborne qualified. The training team also included four riggers, who helped train Pakastani counterparts.

II organisation

By this time Baluch was considered a SSG ( special services group) which was divided into 24 companies. Each company had specialization units, desert, mountain, ranger, and underwater warfare.

III training

SSG Officers have must in least two years of past miltary service and volunteer from other formations for three year assingments with the SSG. All trainees must participate in an eight-month SSG course at Cherta. The SSG course emphasizes tough phyical conditioning. Included is a 36 mile march in 12 hours, a grueling requirment that was first institutionalized by 19 Baluch. They are also required to run 5 miles in 40 minutes with full gear. Following the SSG course, the trainees must volunteer for jump school. The course lasts four weeks, with wings awarded after seven jumps.

source

As far as I know this unit has been involved with hunting terrorists in the mountains on the Pakastan/Afgahanistan mountain border. Does any body have any info on their ops their?

[edit on 26-1-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The Pakistani's have had previous experience with the Afghans during the Soviet occupation. While it is widely though that Brit and US special forces operated with the mujahideen, this was not the case - the risk of capture being too grate.
Instead 3 man Pakistani SF teams crossed the boarder to work with different mujahideen groups. I'm not sure what the precise casualties were, but more than 10 are known to have died in combat with Soviet Forces. I believe one of these teams was the first to bring down a Soviet aircraft with a Stinger missile.

For more inforamtion read the book valled ' Afghanistan The Bear Trap: The Defeat of a Superpower'. This book was written by the General in charge of the Afghan bureau of the Pakistani ISI - in other words tha man who controlled the guerilla war in Afghanistan.

www.amazon.com...

PS. If you have ever come across a book called ' Jihad ' by Tom Carew, it's all BS. The guy wasn't in the SAS let alone running around with the mujahideen in 1981.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Missions infiltration, reconnaisance, and militia training behind enemy lines as well as anti-subersive and internal security operations.

training

Members are chosen from other units for mental and physical toughness and ideological soundness. Those who pass the basic screening take part in a 9 month selection, with heavy emphasis on physical endurance. At the end of this phase a 380 km march is done through mountainous ground with minimal rations. Then a week long evasion and escape course is done.

source

I think Indoneshia will be a key player in the war agains terrorism in asia , and if we ever fough china or vietnam for some reason they would be very good units since their use to jungle terrain. And with the help of the Thai navy seals, rangers, the indian marine commando force, and para commandos, the pakastani SSGN ( naval special services group)and the SSG (special services group) they can definatly be a big part of hunting terrorists in asia. And that should be one of the main goals of the president

[edit on 1-2-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Yea, their trained more 2 wound and disable them from a weapon more than 2 kill, so it takes ALOOOOOOT OF EXCELLENT ACCURACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
primary missions

special reconnaissance

The PLAs inferiority to western and Russian special forces in the ways of air, mobility, fire control, and surveliance equipment led to its insistence on detailed reconnassiance. The mission of SR is to gain info of national or local importance about the enemy, weather, and terrain behind enemy lines, for example the location of enemy command posts, reserves, WMDS, important weapon systems, logistical sites, possible river crossing sites, avenues of approach, and target info for precsion guided weapons.

Direct action

The direct action missions are short-duration strikes and other small scale strike offensives conducted primarily by SOFs. The PLAs SOFs practice raids on vital positions, rescuing prisoners, and capturing valuable enemy people. Targets for these ops are likely to be command posts, airfields, seaports, bridges, WMDs, and key weapon systems such as air defense sites, as well as certain civilian targets such as power and communications networks.

counter-terrorism

In response to the growing separatisim trends in China's ethnic minority and frontier regions, such as Xinjiang and Tibet, and other terrorist and criminal activities. The PLA's SOFs have been asigned to the role of counter-terrorism, particuarly since September 11. The PLAs SOF took part in regular exercises to co-operate with the police services and the peoples armed police forces tp protect China's important cities and other targets.

source

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here is a vidio of those SAS "special" forces in action. way to go mates!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I am afriad mate thats general british army and BTW, the whole incident was a set up...
The RMC went there first and racked the beach so they would get stuck....
Pays to more information...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yea, it's not SAS. Y? 1 guy was using a L85, SAS uses M16A2s, but that boat confused me of who it was. Plus, their helments rn't right.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SEAL Trident
Yea, it's not SAS. Y? 1 guy was using a L85, SAS uses M16A2s, but that boat confused me of who it was. Plus, their helments rn't right.

General infantry, basically any one of the regiments, the SAS doesnt just use the m16A2.
The army runs a number of boat units, hell that could even be a RN boat or a RM boat.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Commond now, those guys are very SPECIAL. Dont want to hurt thier feelings

SKD

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by D
Does anyone have info on the operations of USMC Recon and Force Recon operations? They must have done a lot considering US Marines are already a step up from regular ground forces and if US marines are already so good I'm just wandering how good their Recon units must be.

Force reacon mainly do...reacon...as the name suggests.
They do basically everything the SBS does but slightly diffrent.

I thought the SEALS would be more comparable to the SBS, afterall the Seals work with underwater demolitions, and that is one of the job of the SBS as well right ?

Each unit has its own purpose. The SASR (Australian SAS) are pretty tough. I read an article where the end of selection consisted of a packmarch over 4 mountain peaks, on their own, carrying up to 80 kilos in kit, all done over 5 days.

Their main purpose is long range recon. Some SASR members are also trained in counter terrorist operations, and they make up the TAG-W unit which protects the western side of Australia.

It costs around 2 million to train an SASR trooper, and one trooper was awarded a medal of valour for killing 22 Iraqis and blowing up two vehicles in a skirmish with Iraqi forces.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SKD
I thought the SEALS would be more comparable to the SBS, afterall the Seals work with underwater demolitions, and that is one of the job of the SBS as well right ?

Well america has two seperate SF units while we just have one.
The SBS does both the SEALS missions and force reacons mission.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
America only has one Special Forces, and those are of the Army. The primary job of the Special Forces is obviously unconventional warfare and TEACHING. Their primary job is to teach other country's forces. That is why they must learn the language and culture of another country. They blend in and live amongst the culture, but work with the forces of those countries and they usually specialize in one of four landscapes: jungle, mountain, woodlands, or desert (or something like that).

The Special Forces are one of America's Special Operations forces. Other Spec Ops forces are Army Delta Force (which as far as anyone knows is for counter-terrorism), Navy SEALS, Army Rangers, Air Force Pararescue, Air Force ground controllers, and probably a few others I am forgetting about.

Marine Force Recon, of the United States Marine Corps, is Special Operations-CAPABLE, but they do not officially fall under the Spec Ops command of the U.S. military.

The Army also has the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (or SOAR), which are the helicopter pilots of the Army who fly the Spec Ops forces into their missions. they specialize in night operations, use very advanced technology, and are the top 5% of Army pilots.

I am not sure if the Marine Corps has specific pilots assigned to Force Recon, but I know they do not have something on the equivalent of the Army's SOAR.

The Air Force has something similar to SOAR for their own Spec Ops forces, but I forget what they call theirs.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068

The Air Force has something similar to SOAR for their own Spec Ops forces, but I forget what they call theirs.

Yeah its called the 8th special operations squardron, they specilaze in insertion, extraction and resupply of UW forces and equipment into hostile or enemy controlled territory using inland and airdrop procedures. Also their squadron name is black birds.

[edit on 19-2-2005 by blue cell]

[edit on 19-2-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The Phoenix Ravens are a security force started up by air mobility command commander Walter Kross in early 1997, the unit consists of members specially trained to provide protection for aircrews, and resources that transit hight terrorist and criminal threat area's. Security forces that opt to become a Raven undergo a rigourous 16 hour a day two week course at the AMC warfare center. They study topics such as international law, and learn hand to hand combat techniques.

specialoperations.com/USAF/Phoenix_Ravens/default.html

I think we need a unit like this that examines security weakness's and makes recomendations for how to improve security. They do stuff like this but not in every base, and also I think we need a unit like Red Cell testing base security secretly.

[edit on 20-2-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I training

The unit is principally made up of KGB personnel for Moscow and nationwide, with priority given to those who do good in certain types of sports. Those selected are then trained in driving techniques ( from automobiles to armored cars) and in the use of all types of firearms in addition to numerous skills.

II structure

The structure of the group includes a subdivision for underwater combat demolition and combat. The members of this unit trained on the Baltic fleet and in Cuba. The organisation of the group also includes explosive experts, climbers, snipers, experts in negotiating, an analytical center, and psychologists.

There main mission is anti-terrorism and they also take part in hostage rescue ops.

specialoperations.com/foreign/russia/alfa.htm

link dosen't work for some reason can a mod also fix this?

[edit on 24-2-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Just a note for some of you who might not have heard:
The marine Corps now has a special forces unit that
could be compareable to the SAS, Seals and other well known
units.
It is called Detachment one, consisting of 86 Marines and a few
Navy Corpsman. The website link is a little old and some outdated
info but Google it up and see what's out there

BTW, Marine snipers are the best, Hands Down!!!!

usmilitary.about.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
just want to say if anybodys intrested in making or reading special forces scenerio's/stories than here is a thread I made just for that.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join