It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

special forces profiles

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

COMSUBINS primary mission is to conduct commando and sabatoge type operations against naval targets. This includes targets at sea (military,civilian ships, or oil rigs), and coastal targets such as harbours, coastal radar stations, intelligence and communications centers, ammunition and fuel dumps, etc.
Secondary missions include
beach reconnaisance
mine clearing duties
deep reconnasiance/ intelligence ops
hostage rescue/ counter-terrorism ops
difficult non-combatant evacuation ops
VIP protection
high risk merchant/ military ship inspections
Training is divided in to four phases
1 land warfare training
2 naval warfare training
3 ranger, parachute, and mountain climbing
4 amphibous warfare training

In addition to this there is instruction in hand-to hand combat, small arms, heavy weapons, counter-terror training, explosives training, mine clearance, communications, intelligence gathering,and survival training through the duration of the course.

In addition to this the COMSUBIN also trains with the US Navy Seals, britains special boat service, israels shayetet 13, and many other countries special forces. They are also the unit that started making mini subs so they could get to their targets with out expending all their energy, the subs were called pigs. They basically had a small electric motor and they rode on the surface of the subs.

source

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I was looking on isayeret.com and their is some weird SF units, like long range missiles warfare unit, anti aircraft corps airborne rapid deployment special forces unit, the laser designation, BDA, and preliminary bombardment reconnaissance and intelligence gathering unit. And my question is why do they have these units?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Thailand has a 144 man seal unit, which has trained with American's SEALs. There is also some LRRPs and elite infantry. There is a small element within the Royal Thai Navy SEAL Teams that has been trained to conduct maritime CT missions. There missions of the SEAL team are reconnasiance missions, and intelligence missions, the jobs of the UDT teams are salvage operations, and underwater demolitions, and obstacle clearance operations in support of RTMC amphibious operations.

I think Thai Navy SEALs are awesome and will be a intergral part of hunting down terrorists in asia. Also I think if America ever went to war with vietnam for some reason, they could offer there expericence since there use to fighting in that kinda terrain.

What do you guys think of this unit?

source

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
ghost
my bad, thought it was more of a blanket statement, not one as narrow as i see it now that im a little more well rested. they are no longer entirely black, the gov't acknowledges they exist, just dont say much about what they do. Almost like they acknowledge SEAL Team 6, but say they are just SEALS and nothing much else. Theres a really good book out, i believe its called Commandos, it explains all the unclassified parts of the training most of the US Special Operations Groups go through, and talks about some of the unclassified real world missions. Like the delta mission in Panama, and Iraq 1. SEALs RW missions and the like. Its a good book, all Gov't approved, for anyone more interested on teh subject, i highly suggest the read.

and again ghost, my apologies, i hadnt slept much in quite a while until this past weekend, much going on in my life here, should have paid more attention to how you said what you said..

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Royal marine comandos mountain and arctic warfare cadre + brigade patrol group.

This is the royal marines second special forces group and reports directly to brigade HQ.

Primary role: instruction in mountain and arctic warfare

Secondary role: long range reconnaissance patrolling for 3 Commando Brigade

The history is a bit too long to copy and paste and is too long to condense.

here is the Site where I aquired almost all of my information. They seem very secretive group and little is said about them.
www.specialoperations.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
I was looking on isayeret.com and their is some weird SF units, like long range missiles warfare unit, anti aircraft corps airborne rapid deployment special forces unit, the laser designation, BDA, and preliminary bombardment reconnaissance and intelligence gathering unit. And my question is why do they have these units?

Why have a unit that does well in all if you could have multiple units very very good in each sector.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Why have a unit that does well in all if you could have multiple units very very good in each sector.

Well why would you have a SF unit that just fires anti-aircraft missiles at enemy airplanes when you can easily train a regular soldier to do that?
Also laser designation, BDA, can be done by a regular special forces unit. And preliminary bombardment reconnaissance and intelligence gathering can be done by their undercover unit. Also what would be the purpose of a Long range missiles warfare unit?

[edit on 19-1-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Well why would you have a SF unit that just fires anti-aircraft missiles at enemy airplanes when you can easily train a regular soldier to do that?

Yeah but an SF trained unit could go behind enemy lines and take down enemy planes on ther own turf.

Also laser designation, BDA, can be done by a regular special forces unit. And preliminary bombardment reconnaissance and intelligence gathering can be done by their undercover unit.

They might have specific tech or something like that.
Well a preliminary bombardment unit might be artillery exsperts so know what to hit and what with.
Does a regular SF guy know everything a bombadier knows?

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
originally posted by devilwasp

Yeah but a SF trained unit could go behind enemy lines and could take down enmey planes on their own turf.

Yeah I guess the unit protects LRRP units from enemy aircraft, but thats still kinda weird, they could just assign a person in the LRRP unit to do that.

They might have specific tech or something like that.
Well a preliminary bombardment unit might be artillery experts so they know what to hit and what with.
Does a regular SF guy know everything a bombadier knows?

Well the undercover unit operators could be trained to do that since the main targets would probably be islamic extremists safe houses which is where the units AO is.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The Swedish Artic Rangers

Throughout history one thing has proven time and time again it has the ablity to be more deadly then any enemy army Mother nature. Perhaps one of the most devastating weapons in her arsenal is the cold. Some of the most powerful armies in the world like those of Napoleon and Hitler have found the cold more deadly then the armies they faced.

Almost all other nations rangers are airborne, and are trained to operate in many different climates, such as desert and jungle. They are mainly used as a spearhead for other forces.

Swedish Arctic Rangers are very different from these other nations rangers. Arctic Rangers are only trained to operate in a sub-arctic forest/mountain environment, they are not airborne, and are not used as a spearhead for other forces. In fact, they are not used to fight the enemy’s main forces at all - they are used for guerilla warfare and intelligence gathering.

Arctic Rangers train at the 22nd Infantry Regiment (I22) in Kiruna, Sweden. Kiruna is located 200 kilometers north of the Arctic Circle in Lappland, Sweden. This is one of the worlds most northern military training locations

In Kiruna the year-average temperature is -1° C (= 30° F), and winter temperatures average -20° C (= -5° F) with temperature extremes of as low as -45° C (= -50° F).

Tactics

All modern mechanized armies require great amounts of supplies (food, fuel, ammunition) in order to stay combat efficient. The bulk of these supplies is transported with trucks

The northern parts of Sweden are covered with dense forest and swamps, so all trucks must travel on roads. Since northern Sweden is very sparsely populated there are also very few roads. This makes the enemy’s supply lines very vulnerable.

They Artic Rangers are very specialized to take advantage of just this fact. Artic Rangers infiltrate deep into enemy territory 50 to 300 km behind the front lines. The method of insertion depends on the duration of the mission, time of year and distances involved. If the distances and duration are short, insertion is done on foot or skis. If they are long, insertion is done with ground vehicles or helicopters

The primary targets are the enemy’s supply convoys and engineer vehicles. To destroy these targets, ranger teams set up ambushes along the road. Typical weapons used in these ambushes are mines, sniper rifles, grenade launchers and machine guns.

Strategic parts of the road such as bridges and culverts are demolished with explosives. The road is also additionally blocked with land mines and anti-tank mines. Enemy engineers that attempt to clear mines or repair the road are ambushed with sniper rifles or mortars.

These guerilla warefare tactics destroy large amounts of enemy supplies and leave the road practically useless. The result is that few supplies (or none at all) reach the enemy’s fighting forces at the front line. Without continual supplies the enemy’s advance will come to a halt, due to a lack of food, fuel and ammunition

Equipment

Weapons

Assualt Rifle- AK5 (5.56 NATO) 30 rd mag often two taped together in a "ranger mag" can be fitted with the American made M203 grenade launcher.

Light machinegun-KSP90 (5.56 NATO) belt-fed, from a 200-round casette. Light compared to other machineguns (permits sking)

Sniper rifles- Light PSG90 AKA British L96A1 (7.62 NATO) 9rd mag 10x scope
Heavy-AG90 AKA US M82A1 (50cal) 10 shot mag

Anti-tank round- AT4 84mm HEAT rd

Also a wide range of grenades, mines and explosives. These weapons are very important to the tactics of the Artic Rangers.

members.tripod.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The Swedish Navy attack divers are an elite unit of combat swimmers, similar in function to the US Navy SEALs or the British Special Boat Unit. Attack divers are tasked with performing intelligence gathering missions, acting as forward observers for aircraft, and naval gunfire, conducting direct action sabotage missions, and other special operations missions. Prospective Attack Divers are drawn from the ranks of the Swedish Navy's elite Kustjagare (coastal rangers) units. Attack Diver training lasts 10 months. In which they learn how to use open and closed circuit diving system, small unit tactics, underwater demolition, sabotage, dive medicine, combat survival, and other combat related skills. Upon completion of the training the new Navy Attack Divers are awarded the Swedish Navy's diver qualification badge. In addition the Attack Divers are also distinguished from their Kustjagare brethren by the fact that the Golden Neptunes Trident on their green commando beret has the outer lines bent inward.

I think the Swedish Attack Divers would be a good unit to have if America wanted a unit to help them infiltrate a harbour and attach explosives to enemy ships, that is if we ever got into a major conflict.

swedish attack divers

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The Beginings

The Marine Commando Force is a special forces unit, that was created by the Indian Navy in 1987. For many years , the Indian navy wanted to establish an elite unit for special maritime operations. Prior to this, Navy divers trained in explosive ordance disposal and army units were often assigned for maritime ops. In 1983, the 340th Army Independant Brigade, which had a force of three infantry battalions at Trivandrum, was raised as a special maritime unit. MARCOS (marine commandos) trainees have to complete a two year course, the first phase lasts one month, in which they do many rigorous tests of which only 50 percent pass. Then for the the next nine months, they are taught how to use many different types of weapons, conduct special warfare techniques and how to gather intelligence from the enemy. MARCOS also conducts operational reconnaissance training which includes a variety of external environments; beach, coastal, riverine, and jungle. They also have to undergo a parachute training course and a diving course at Agra and Cochin. Once trainees have completed their first 9 months of training, they join groups- on a probational basis- where additional specialized training is done. This combat qualification takes another year. Most of the training deals with counter-terrorist operations, such as protecting oil platforms off Mumbai and also with anti-hijacking/ piracy operations. All MARCOS personnel are static line parachute qualified and a number are freefall qualified (HALO/HAHO). MARCOS is one of a few units in the world that can do para-dropping into the sea with full combat load and equipment. By the end of the year only 10% - 25% of the trainees remain.

written with the permission of Bharat Rakshak bharat-rakshak.com...

I think this unit will be a good unit in the war against terrorism in asia, I think America could use the unit as an intelligence gathering unit reporting were insurgents hide outs are in the jungle. And then directing and helping to capture and kill insurgents, also I'm not sure but I think there helping with the Tsunami relief effort helping to search for missing people all over were the storm hit.

[edit on 22-1-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
Broad,You are pro-american,i can see that. In the spetsnaz discipline is a lot higher. You actually get smacked in the face for doing something wrong while in the seals or delta force, all you get is some yelling. It is common knowledge that the spetsnaz is better trained.

lol, the Spetznaz are sooo elite
. So does that explain why they botch every hostage rescue they attempt to carry out. Moscow Theater siege and Beslan to name a few.
As for discipline being higher, what does getting smacked in the face have anything to do with it ? That's just a lack of discipline.
Let's face it every training mission requires a huge amount of discipline just to come out unscathed.

All the Spetsnaz really are, are glorified paratroopers. If an even number of Spetznaz fought an even number of Chechan rebels, I would put my money on the Chechans. Besdies didn't antire Spetznaz batalion get wiped out in the 80's in Afghanistan. They sound very elite

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
Vietnam - Australian/New Zealand & Brit SAS heavily involved. Were winning hearts & minds in their TAOR's but were withdrawn at US request.We'll call that 5-1 SAS.

Ahem, the British SAS never operated in Vietnam as a unit if at all ( maybe a few observers ). It was the Australian SAS who operated heavily there, even being given the nickname by the VC and NVA of ' phantoms of the jungle '. So please don't taint the ASAS in Vietnam with some BS about the Brits being there.

If you want to talk about Vietnam SF's, then teh SOG boys were by far the best. They would crap on anyone else even today in jungle warfare and just sheer balls. It is a fact that North Vietnams only special forces battalion operated exclusively on the Ho Chi Minh trail to hunt down the 3 man SOG teams. That is how dangerous they were.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   

In Afghanistan, it was a combined SAS/SBS team that got SEAL/Delta out of the # at the prison where Taliban had overpowered their captors.

It was a combined SAS/SBS team that entered Tora-Bora to flush out Bed Linnen - but he'd already gone to the laundry.

The SAS never saw action at Tora Bora or the prison. The stories of knife fighting in the caves of Tora Bora were fabricated by a desperate lack of information by the British media. The only action they saw, attacking an Al-Qaeda Heroin factory. A target the americans were just going to bomb. Anyway, they sustained 2 casualties I think. It was 100 SAS up against 200 Talibs. There is a book about it called ' Ultimate Risk: SAS Contact Al Qaeda'.

If you really want to be impressed about any battle or action in Viet Nam, then you should read the Battle Of Long Tan. Royal Australian Rifles against 2 VC Main Force or NVA Regiments. Amazing!

Yeah, the Australians are good, no doubt.

D

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

In Afghanistan, it was a combined SAS/SBS team that got SEAL/Delta out of the # at the prison where Taliban had overpowered their captors.

It was a combined SAS/SBS team that entered Tora-Bora to flush out Bed Linnen - but he'd already gone to the laundry.

The SAS never saw action at Tora Bora or the prison. The stories of knife fighting in the caves of Tora Bora were fabricated by a desperate lack of information by the British media. The only action they saw, attacking an Al-Qaeda Heroin factory. A target the americans were just going to bomb. Anyway, they sustained 2 casualties I think. It was 100 SAS up against 200 Talibs. There is a book about it called ' Ultimate Risk: SAS Contact Al Qaeda'.

If you really want to be impressed about any battle or action in Viet Nam, then you should read the Battle Of Long Tan. Royal Australian Rifles against 2 VC Main Force or NVA Regiments. Amazing!

Yeah, the Australians are good, no doubt.

There were actually SAS at the prison. And it was only a few of them not 100. There were less than 10 of them at the prison. The SBS however have seen action in the Tora Bora. In a couple of books recently, there are reports of that the SBS came very close to capturing Bin Laden and at Tora Bora they were closing in but were ordered to stand down and allow the Americans in.
( That last bit of info about the SBS was taken from:

The Encyclopedia of the world's Special Forces by Mike Ryan, Chris Mann And Alexander Stillwell; Foreward by Major Mike Mckinney USAF SpeOps; Published 2003 by Amber Books Ltd.)

[edit on 24/1/05 by D]

D

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I think the Swedish Attack Divers would be a good unit to have if America wanted a unit to help them infiltrate a harbour and attach explosives to enemy ships, that is if we ever got into a major conflict.

Most of the Scandanvian SF are very reliable. They have a great history eg Norwegian Jaegers in the operations stemming mainly from Arctic warfare against the Soviets.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by D
There were actually SAS at the prison. And it was only a few of them not 100. There were less than 10 of them at the prison.

lol, whatever, I never said there were a hundred of them at the prison. I said there weren't any at all. Please post some links rather than just shooting off at the mouth. Gawdd.

The SBS however have seen action in the Tora Bora. In a couple of books recently, there are reports of that the SBS came very close to capturing Bin Laden and at Tora Bora they were closing in but were ordered to stand down and allow the Americans in.

What books ? Care to name them ?. I didn't think so. The only book which has come out about the SAS in Afghanistan is the one I've mentioned above. It categorically states that the Brit press reports about Tora Bora were BS. The Americans didn't want or need the SAS there. Hence the SAS was sent on a backwater mission by the US after the Brits begged for some action.

D

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
You wanna take it easy there? No need to go shoot your mouth off like that. If all you're gonna do is troll on this forum maybe you should get out of here

I did mention a book, my bad if I said books but here is the book :

The Encyclopedia of the world's Special Forces by Mike Ryan, Chris Mann And Alexander Stillwell; Foreword by Major Mike Mckinney USAF SpeOps; Published 2003 by Amber Books Ltd.)

That was in my previous post if you had taken the time to read it properly. And learn to take it easy. It was a perfectly normal discussion here and not a pissing competition about who is the best. If you read the title of this thread it says "special forces profile" not "pissing competition between the special forces". Calm down and think about what you say before you go shooting off with your mouth. Hell, I didn't even threaten you in anyway. You better learn to keep it cool before the mods give you warnings.

And may I have some links to where it says that the British being in the Tora Bora was bs? Would be very much appreciated.

[edit on 24/1/05 by D]

D

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
And here's a couple of links if you don't think the book exists

Encyclopedia of the World's Special Forces
Another One

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join