It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Make BIG Announcement Live on Thursday - Another Earth?!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar
a) I know they had great difficulties calculating the planets orbit since it orbits a binary star system and I can't remember reading a number for a Serpo year, remember they had 1964 equipment and skills.

b) It orbits, as I said, both stars, so a year may not give meaning in our sense of the word. Up to recently mainstream scientists didn't think planets coud even exist in a binary star system, we now know that it does.

c)They have a 42 earth-hour sycle equivalent to a day+night, but since it has two suns it never gets really dark, just a darker period.

Yes I would love to see the results of closer observations of the Zeta Reticuli system, it is said to have more than one planet, however only one inhabited by intelligent beeings (EBE's; Extraterrestial Biological Entities they called them).

Edit: Why don't you read the SERPO iles yourself, it is facinating reading and IF it is a hoax, it is truly invented by the greatest SciFi author (but if so, I would have thought he/she would have claimed credit for it )

edit on 2372015 by KarsteinE because: added thoughts

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
NASA makes a lot of "important announcements" these days because the largest budget cuts seem to happen to government agencies with the fewest important announcements. (i.e. the IRS)

NASA was having orgasms over Pluto last week, LOL.

Hey everyone! Look at Mr Cool! Hes just unfazzed by New Horizons...After al, its so easy to do what Nasa did and soooooo uncool. Who cares?

I bow down to your coolness

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: KarsteinE
a) I know they had great difficulties calculating the planets orbit since it orbits a binary star system and I can't remember reading a number for a Serpo year, remember they had 1964 equipment and skills.

Even with 1964 equipment and skills (ie, being able to read a watch, they had watches in 1964 right?) if people spent years on an alien planet they should be able to tell you how many Earth days make up it's year regardless of the star it orbited being part of a widely separated binary star system.

b) It orbits, as I said, both stars, so a year may not give meaning in our sense of the word.

Well then your SERPO story is some next level nonsense because the stars of Zeta 1 Reticuli and Zeta 2 Reticuli are WIDELY separated by a distance of 3,750 AU (1 AU = the distance between the Earth and our Sun. Pluto orbits the Sun at 39 AU.) So you're basically claiming a temperate, habitable planet orbits BOTH stars of Zeta Reticuli in the cold depths of deep space at a distance around 1,000 times the distance Pluto orbits our Sun?

This is the kind of nonsense (non-science) which give these types of UFO stories a bad name. I bet that whole thing sounded perfectly plausible to you who knew nothing about the stars of Zeta Reticuli other than what you read in UFO literature?

Sounds sciency to the UFO people but sounds like B.S. to anyone educated.

Up to recently mainstream scientists didn't think planets coud even exist in a binary star system, we now know that it does.

How recent is recently? Because a one of the first exoplanets ever detected was detected around a nearby binary star Upsilon Andromedae A when I was 2 years old back in 1997.

c)They have a 42 earth-hour sycle equivalent to a day+night, but since it has two suns it never gets really dark, just a darker period.

Orbiting one or even two stars in a binary system would not mean that there would be no night. Again, stuff which sounds "sciencey" to a mostly science-illiterate UFO crowd but which is kinda funny to me or anyone else familiar with astronomy. A planet like Earth orbiting either star of Zeta Reticuli in that star's habitable zone would see the other star of Zeta Reticuli as a very bright star (the brightest) in it's night sky.

Yes I would love to see the results of closer observations of the Zeta Reticuli system,

Well you can learn a lot of REAL information about Zeta Reticuli including the actual habitable zones for each star at this link here.

Your story's author couldn't even be bothered to get the stuff we actually know about the two stars right.

Edit: Why don't you read the SERPO iles yourself, it is facinating reading and IF it is a hoax, it is truly invented by the greatest SciFi author (but if so, I would have thought he/she would have claimed credit for it )

It's not fascinating. It's farcical.

My time is limited and I certainly never spent it on poorly thought out/poorly researched science fiction. Quality matters and even as a sci-fi tale your Serpo story is ridiculously bad with a bad premise based on an impossible planet from the start. It can only get worse from there.

Any sci-fi author who wrote it would be running from or and certainly not want to claim it for fear of "winning" that thing they award to the worst written sci-fi story of the year.

It was probably used to separate people from money at UFO conferences. It won't fool anyone with even a basic understanding of astronomy.

You might want to head back to the Aliens & UFOs forum because if SERPO were a book then I just soaked it in gasoline and set a match to it.

*poof*
edit on 23-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStarI am disappointed by your answer, you pretend to be a scientific person and yet show such ignorace of the real facts! A distance of 3.75 AU is NO distance for an object of sun size or slightly bigger. If we had another sun orbiting at Jupiter's distance none of our planets would have close to the orbit they have today. You obviously know a little about celestial mechanics and think you know it all. If you think calculating the orbit of an object in a binary star system is easy, well, go ahead and try it yourself.
Your arguments simply don't hold water.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

a reply to: JadeStarI am disappointed by your answer, you pretend to be a scientific person and yet show such ignorace of the real facts! A distance of 3.75 AU is NO distance for an object of sun size or slightly bigger. If we had another sun orbiting at Jupiter's distance none of our planets would have close to the orbit they have today. You obviously know a little about celestial mechanics and think you know it all. If you think calculating the orbit of an object in a binary star system is easy, well, go ahead and try it yourself.

She said 3,750 AU (three thousand, seven hundred and fifty)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: KarsteinE

The two stars are located at similar distances from the Sun and share the same motion through space,[13] confirming that they are gravitationally bound and form a wide binary star system. They have an angular separation of 309.2 arc seconds (5.2 arc minutes);[14] far enough apart to appear as a close pair of separate stars to the naked eye under suitable viewing conditions. The distance between the two stars is at least 3,750 AU, so their orbital period is 170,000 years or more.[15]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: jamsession
as exciting as it sounds, it still makes me ask what's the point if we can't go there anyway? *sigh*

...right now.

A couple of hundred years back it would have taken you weeks to get from London to New York, you could go tomorrow and be there within hours.

What motivation do we have right now to build any craft or the means to travel such distances? Where would we be going? Why try to build such a thing spending potentially billions of $'s for no clear reason?

Once we have the goal, once we know that there is another potentially inhabitable world out there, we will likely start working on high speed probes to reach it and gather data, soon followed by high speed craft to take us there.

If they announce evidence of such a find, within years we will probably have developed a probe to reach it. This could mean we will see images from another habitable world in our lifetimes.

That is seriously exciting to many of us!

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Why only Zeta Reticuli? There are a dozen or more nearby stars mentioned by insiders as having far more advanced races than our own. Not everyone is Grey in this universe. Pleiades are a beautiful target for the telescopes

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: jamsession
as exciting as it sounds, it still makes me ask what's the point if we can't go there anyway? *sigh*

...right now.

A couple of hundred years back it would have taken you weeks to get from London to New York, you could go tomorrow and be there within hours.

What motivation do we have right now to build any craft or the means to travel such distances? Where would we be going? Why try to build such a thing spending potentially billions of $'s for no clear reason?

Once we have the goal, once we know that there is another potentially inhabitable world out there, we will likely start working on high speed probes to reach it and gather data, soon followed by high speed craft to take us there.

If they announce evidence of such a find, within years we will probably have developed a probe to reach it. This could mean we will see images from another habitable world in our lifetimes.

That is seriously exciting to many of us!

Sure it can happen. Let's play with the numbers.

Right now we could expect a speed of 172,200 km / hour. According to the very trustworthy Internet. And nasa

And the distance Is 562.5 billion kilometrrs (3750 AU X 150,000km/AU)

We would need 370 years to get there. If we could go 10 faster it could be done in one lifetime. 100 times faster and we could possibly conduct real active missions

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I wouldn't bother trying to debunk the SERPO story.

They explain away their lack of knowledge about orbits, days, etc with a blanket "The physics are different on SERPO" nonsense statement. As soon as I read that part I lost all interest.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Hi JadeStar.

First I would like to say, Thank you for your thoughtful posts. I am not knowledgeable in Exoplanet research, so having someone who is patient and eager to explain things is very refreshing.

So, I came to this thread this morning to see what the announcement is and I guess I am missing it.

Could you please explain to me or show me where it has been posted?

Thank you for your time.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

The announcement isn't until 9:00 am PST or 12:00 noon EST. You didn't miss anything yet.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

Any idea where else I could watch the announcement live? I've tuned in to the NASA stream (which is also linked in the official press release and the OP's link) hours ago to make sure that the stream would work for me once the announcement starts, but I just got kicked from the stream because the stream has reached its maximum viewers capacity for free viewing. The only way it will let me continue to watch is by buying premium membership. (it doesn't even say how to get that
)

I'd love it if there was some other way to watch it live.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Lol what?

Can you read? Do you know the difference between 3,750 AU and 3.75 AU?

#DecimalPlacesMatter

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TheWiseDwarf

I don't know why it's not working for you. Did you try refreshing your browser? I'm using the USTREAM embedded in the linked page from the original post. They're just playing "please-hold-all-operators-are-standing-by" music on it right now.
edit on 23-7-2015 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: 2012newstart
Why only Zeta Reticuli? There are a dozen or more nearby stars mentioned by insiders as having far more advanced races than our own. Not everyone is Grey in this universe. Pleiades are a beautiful target for the telescopes

The Pleiades are a beautiful open cluster of stars but the stars which form them are very young stars, too young for anything resembling advanced life to have appeared. Their "beauty" is a result of dust and debris still left from the stellar nursery they were born from. If you could go there you'd find any planets being bombarded by asteroid and perhaps even planetary impacts while bathing in intense UV radiation. Think of our early Sun and solar system.

They're not the gentle lovely places as they appear at a distance.

I'd again caution against getting astronomy information from "UFO insiders."

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The conference is live: www.ustream.tv...

Kepler-452b - An Earthlike World circling a Sunlike star

Key takeaways

They found an older, bigger Earth cousin (though some are now calling it an Earth Twin)

It is rocky, likely with a thick atmosphere, twice our gravity but not uncomfortable if we were there a few weeks (we would adapt).

The planet is closest in terms of physical characteristics (size) to our Earth orbiting a star more like our Sun than any found so far.

It's 2 billion years older than Earth. If it has life its life might have had a 2 billion year head start on us.

We know now with confidence that planets like Earth circling stars like our Sun are therefore common in the universe. Our planet is not special.

4 years of data have been gathered and the entire Kepler dataset has been analyzed now to give accurate statistics. This is not the final release as they are still finding more planets in the data. Other Earth twin candidates remain to be confirmed.

All Kepler data is public and they name drop www.planethunters.org... where anyone can look through Kepler data for potential planet transits. Also name drops the TESS mission to look for planets like this closer to our solar system and the James Webb Space Telescope which would be able to analyze closer planets like this one for signs of life.

SETI has already listened for signals from Kepler-452b but found nothing so far.

This discovery fills a key gap in our knowledge and is a big step towards finding life on other planets. Both Kepler and ground based observatories were mentioned in connection with this discovery. That means we are able to determine a mass and radius which allow us to determine Kepler-452b's density. If we had a sufficiently large enough space telescope we could begin mapping planets like this one around other nearby stars ie: continents, oceans, cloud maps, etc.

Distance: 1,400 light years
Year: 385 day year
Mass: 5 Earth Masses (error of +/- 2 Earth Masses)
Radius: 1.6 Earth Radii
Density: Rocky/Terran/Terrestrial
Atmosphere: Likely thicker than Earth's (assuming it has one which is a fair assumption for a planet this size)

Kepler-452b: Earth's Bigger, Older Cousin -- Briefing Materials
NASA will host a news teleconference at noon EDT Thursday, July 23 to announce new discoveries made by its planet-hunting mission, the Kepler Space Telescope.

The first exoplanet orbiting another star like our sun was discovered in 1995. Exoplanets, especially small Earth-size worlds, belonged within the realm of science fiction just 21 years ago. Today, and thousands of discoveries later, astronomers are on the cusp of finding something people have dreamed about for thousands of years -- another Earth.

Graphics referred to in press conference:
Figure 1.

Figure 2.

FIgure 3.

Figure 4.

Figure 5.

Figure 6.

Figure 7.

Figure 8.

Figure 9.

FIgure 10.

Figure 11.

Figure 12.

Figure 13.

Sorry about the duplicate graphics during the conference. I had issues uploading them to ATS for some reason. They are correct now.

edit on 23-7-2015 by JadeStar because: the way to embed graphics on ATS by uploading them is a pain.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
trying to keep this relatively on topic. Im gutted that my life will be over before I have a chance to set foot on another planet. When NASA talks about finding earth twin all I can image in like the planet from the film Avatar .. What would it be like to set foot on a planet with its own different types of trees, birds, clouds, blue skies, marine life etc. to try and picture it blows my mind

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
So similar sun, similar size planet to earth. Very cool indeed. All this research will set up the James Webb telescope for some fun observational work.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
trying to keep this relatively on topic. Im gutted that my life will be over before I have a chance to set foot on another planet. When NASA talks about finding earth twin all I can image in like the planet from the film Avatar .. What would it be like to set foot on a planet with its own different types of trees, birds, clouds, blue skies, marine life etc. to try and picture it blows my mind

I'd be pretty terrified, to be honest. What host of micro-organisms float through the air that could be potentially lethal to a human immune system? We evolved to survive amongst the incredibly diverse habitat of earth and most of the microscopic nasties that float around in the air are quickly identified and washed out by our bodies.

I'd love to set foot on an alien planet, but not without a sci-fi style rebreather that filters out all microbial agents down to the nanometer scale.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join