It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Make BIG Announcement Live on Thursday - Another Earth?!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: truthseeker84attract investors

This is not how NASA works.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Check it out:

Last week Toshiba tested a quantum broadband link so secure it's theoretically unbreakable. Now a researcher at the University of New South Wales in Sydney has devised an even more sophisticated quantum scheme that ensures that only a recipient standing in precisely the right location can receive a message.

With New Quantum Encryption Scheme, Messages Can Only Be Read In Designated Geographical Location

Check this out too.

Frozen light

Once this happens, say goodbye to limits.

More freezing

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: JadeStar

As always Jadestar, your responses to threads related to, and your authorship of such threads, are always a pleasure to read and contemplate.
As you know, or maybe not but anyway, I am of the mind that intelligent life does exist, and has visited our little world.

I wouldn't be shocked if it did in it's distant past. Like I said, Earth has been an interesting place to anyone with sufficiently advanced telescopes looking in our direction for a very long time, even before we or even advanced life existed. I'd love unassailable evidence of that though. And I know I'm not the only one.

The new perspectives that these current researches have opened are mind blowing really, are aren't they?

Yes. Some people find today's announcement boring. I find that amazing but also a commentary on the failure of the science educators in their life.

Then again, this stuff is not for everyone. It is for those who dare to dream, imagine and are curious. Not everyone is. And that's o.k. too.

This new (to the layman) planet that has been discussed is quite the revelation for many; similar sized star, similar sized planet (probably rocky), similar orbital time period. All very evocative and even provocative.

It is and this was the just about the planet they had in mind when Kepler was first imagined by William Borucki 30 years ago.

The point about the Fermi paradox, your speculation is absolutely valid.

It makes a lot of sense. When one does the math on how much energy it would take for all sorts of different types of star ships, (everything from conventional fission, fusion or beamed propulsion to far future concepts like anti-matter propulsion, mini-black hole propulsion to exotic stuff like warp drives) the telescope always wins vs the starship because for the same energy budget as it would take to build and power such star ships massive space telescopes could be built to answer many of the same questions at a small fraction of the cost.

That doesn't mean I think we shouldn't pursue interstellar travel at some point or that no one else in the galaxy has done it but I do suspect the sci-fi scenarios of zipping from here to there as easily as getting in an airplane probably are quite rare in reality. I'd love to be wrong about that though.

My speculation is different of course. Given what we are finding out in leaps and bounds about the existence of planetary bodies, combined with our growing understanding of what it would actually take, technologically speaking, to reach out in any meaningful way to these far flung places, would it not be logical to believe that if such technologically advanced lifeforms exist they will probably have addressed these issues?

It would be logical until one sits down and looks at sources of energy vs ease of use in a star ship and energy price of starship vs energy price of advanced multi-spectral telescope arrays.

This is even true for us at a basic level. Hubble, Spitzer, Kepler have taught us far more about our universe than all of the Apollo missions but if you combined the cost of Hubble, Spitzer and Kepler it is a tiny fraction of the cost of the Apollo program.

That's not just measured in dollars but in resources gathered and energy expended for the scientific result.

What seems to be being suggested with the latest earth 2.0 ( such a horrible term) is that they believe the mass may be something like twice that of earth, correct?

Would a species, once it had actually taken its first steps into space, feel the effects of micro gravity in a much keener way? Would they, perhaps, give much more importance to the science of mass cancelling technologies, if they are possible, given their absolute need for them?

I don't know. You're asking me to read an alien civilization perhaps millions of years more advanced than us's mind. That's nearly impossible even with logic. And I don't know of any mass cancelling technologies. If you do, step right up and get your Nobel Prize.

Where then would their technological interests lead them? Maybe the focus, being so different than ours, which has been basically propulsion, allowed them to get the answer much more quickly?

This is easier to answer.

We think of different types of civilizations in terms of energy usage. So our star travelling civilization might like to hang around sources of great energy (if they can tolerate it). Things like black holes and neutron stars might be popular if they could some how harness them

As for contact on a planet wide scale, perhaps they are, simply, lovers of life, and wish in no way to influence in its development.

That would be me.

If I had access to a star ship and could visit any of these worlds. No matter how interesting they are, inhabited or not I would not ever want to do anything which would influence or negatively impact it's development.

I'd view them as jewels among the stars.

So then if I don't want to mess with them or their life then why would I want to go there in person in the first place? So we're back to the "do you build a probe/star ship or do you build a telescope?" question.

Speculation, it is what I do LOL and personally I don't need proof to dream.

Dreams are what inspire investigation
Proof is what is sometimes the reward for dreams.
Somewhere between the two is science.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Yep, hat's why I prefaced what I said with "not exactly the same thing..."

It's basically a quantum encryption method. They've already done bank transfers using quantum encryption, and that's in the white world. The great thing is, anyone that tries to tamper/intercept the message gets discovered.

Agreed. Its amazing from a cryptographic standpoint. Unbreakable, permanent secrets which give away the would be codebreaker.

edit on 24-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

She ain't no genius, she is just a girl with a scope and a whole lotta hope!

Same thing but had to say it.

:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
So here are the potentially habitable planets humanity knows of as of today listed in ascending order from left to right top to bottom, by distance from Earth in Light Years:

Full Size Image Link

Planets from our solar system are displayed to the far right for size comparison sake.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Do you have a link to that?

One a bit easier for my aging eyes to read?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Do you have a link to that?

One a bit easier for my aging eyes to read?

Yep...

www.hpcf.upr.edu...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: truthseeker84
Can't really say I'm excited about it.

NASA always release these types of news. It's like some kind of sensational headlines to attract investors or something.

I mean, until they find a planet exactly identical to Earth, I'm just not very interested.

When I mean identical, it doesn't have to be like exact fauna or organisms or whatever, just ... similar environment would be nice.

Almost every single headline in the past about a potential Earth like planet has been somewhat disappointing in the past.

Like they say they found another Earth like planet within the Goldie Lock zone, but then you read into it, it says it's like twice Earth's size and then average temperature is like really really cold or something.

It would be really exciting, if they found one that's like almost exactly the size of Earth, exact temperatures as Earth, almost exact orbital patterns etc. etc.

Perhaps I'm asking for too much lol...

You're not asking too much at all. We're getting closer to what you want. Some of the planets on the graphic above come very close.

In fact several would be considered Earth Twins if they orbited a star like our Sun and if we knew something definitive about their atmosphere - because atmospheric composition and density affects a planet's temperature. That said, at first glance several of these planets look like they might be nice places to vacation if we could get there.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
You gaze at the horizon and realize you cant see any further.

But at that moment you also realize, your mind can see how far
you want.

Even if we have gone from using stone tools to going to the moon,
we still keep repeating the usual stupidity, limitation....

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

originally posted by: Jekka

Our exploration and listening to of space has a lot of ego wrapped up in it. For one, we assume that any species we find will be broadcasting within the same band of frequencies we use for communication and for two, that they are still broadcasting, i.e. have not surpassed us technologically.

Um not necessarily.. You might want to read this ATS thread I posted back in April: Denying Ignorance About SETI: It's Not Just About Radio Anymore

How did I miss this one. Thanks for mentioning it. Your intelligence in the field is astonishing and my pea sized brain has a hard time comprehending it lol.

Thank you but you flatter me too much. I'm just a student who has done a ton of reading on the subject. I'm not a genius and I'm only 20.

Wow.
I am impressed.
After reading your posts here for what, 2 years almost... I would have never pegged you at 20 years of age. I thought you were some 65 year old professor of astronomy.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
NASA has basically said, there's no doubt that life exists on other planets in the universe with the discovery of kepler 452-b.

Ah, no they didn't.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
While the results of Kepler are exciting, I really can't wait to see what the results are from TESS and JWST. I want to know what the exoplanets we have in the neighborhood are like.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
I'll take a bet that it has nothing to do with kepler

I'll take that bet. What do you offer?
Lol too late. I lost it already

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Sorry I've skipped through. I don't get peace to read or even listen to the news properly. I do find it frustrating that it's so far away, I'd love to see what's actually going on on the surface of that planet, obviously that can't be helped, it's like a big tease to those interested in the subject. So 1400 light years, assuming my basic math is correct, and presuming that we could ever travel at the speed of light, that's 1400 years of travel. Don't quote me, but our fastest space travel at the moment is 33,000 MPH, so it would only take what 20+ millions years to get there

Vast distances, yet people think Aliens are zooming about the Earth, mmmmm. One further thing while I'm here, I do see quite a bit of criticism directed at Nasa, and accusations of them withholding information and all that jazz. I have a solution for those people though, go and get a job there, good luck with that.

Off topic, but I read briefly that a Russian billionaire in talking of pumping 100 odd million in the search for aliens/distant signals. Hopefully they start in this area. Also for the many who claim that they are already here, maybe give him a whisper in his ear to save him dropping 100 mil. You might even get a tip. Seriously though, searching for distant signals has always made most sense to me, hopefully they find something in our lifetime. Again it's just a pity that wee can't see these far away worlds at the minute.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

Most of my life I was thrilled about Astronomy and the search for new earth-like planets.

Then, I started to think about what I was reading in the related news: 'New solar-like system found, 12.000 light years far from Earth', 'Exciting discovery, an Earth size planet discovered 150.000 light years away' and all the Kepler 'Goldilocks' planets, all too far from reach.

Well... maybe I just lost the faith that I (or any other earthling) will be visiting any other planet, during my lifetime (or just soon enough) or I'm just rationally considering that, until we get the technology to 'faster than light space travels', all these findings mean very little.

Just sci-fi gossip that, even if more interesting than White House gossip or reality shows gossip or neighborhood gossip are as practically useful as those ones.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Miccey
You gaze at the horizon and realize you cant see any further.

But at that moment you also realize, your mind can see how far
you want.

Even if we have gone from using stone tools to going to the moon,
we still keep repeating the usual stupidity, limitation....

You are so right. The average person would walk right over a medium rock sized diamond,ñ because they wouldn't expect or believe it to be there, or it didn't look the way they imagined a diamond should look.

Our biggest limitations lie in our minds. We build on what we know, or what we believe. It is not until we "stumble" on something different that we start to see other possibilities.

As long as we hold all known science as rigid facts, we are limited.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

originally posted by: Jekka

Our exploration and listening to of space has a lot of ego wrapped up in it. For one, we assume that any species we find will be broadcasting within the same band of frequencies we use for communication and for two, that they are still broadcasting, i.e. have not surpassed us technologically.

Um not necessarily.. You might want to read this ATS thread I posted back in April: Denying Ignorance About SETI: It's Not Just About Radio Anymore

How did I miss this one. Thanks for mentioning it. Your intelligence in the field is astonishing and my pea sized brain has a hard time comprehending it lol.

Thank you but you flatter me too much. I'm just a student who has done a ton of reading on the subject. I'm not a genius and I'm only 20.

Wow.
I am impressed.
After reading your posts here for what, 2 years almost... I would have never pegged you at 20 years of age. I thought you were some 65 year old professor of astronomy.

Lol, not even! Maybe someday though.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap
While the results of Kepler are exciting, I really can't wait to see what the results are from TESS and JWST. I want to know what the exoplanets we have in the neighborhood are like.

Agreed!

By 2020 we should know a lot of interesting places nearby relative to our solar system.

By 2030 we might even know if any have life because the planets TESS gathers and JWST examine will also be examined by some massive ground based telescopes 30-40 meters in size and the instruments on these may be fine tuned for the search for biosignatures and atmospheric disequilibrium which would strongly indicate a planet has life of some sort.

Even before that happens, near term programs and instruments like CARMENES and ESPRESSO (both of which I believe go live this summer) will give us some interesting and tantalizing, teasers of what is to come.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I'll take a bet that it has nothing to do with kepler

I'll take that bet. What do you offer?
Lol too late. I lost it already

Aren't you relieved you didn't do it now?

What would you have wagered?

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join