It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible for Nothing to exist, even as a concept?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Very short OP, but I will be very active on the thread:

what do ya think and be ready to defend cause I'll be playing devils advocate.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

Buddhist's believe that 'absolute' reality (as opposed to realitive reality) is 'emptyness'. Not nothingness per se, but, as I am coming to understand it, empty as in vast potential waiting or perhaps 'the zero point field'.

Too big a concept for my head to wrap itself around.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This is basically an ontological argument, where we're left bewildered about the actual structure of the universe and which parts of it are human understandings and which are tangible/provable.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

As you said what you speak of is not nothing. I would define nothing as no thing, or the absence of all things. Emptiness implies there is something to be empty.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

The nearest I can get to nothing is space. Yet space is full of light particles at the very least. It is full of lots of other matter, too, even though it can't be seen.

I've always wondered what our consciousness turns into once the brain and body are not able to function. The sum of our lives and all that we are is something. Everything that is only changes and never disappears. There is no long term stability in any matter.

It would be interesting to see the path of a light and what that becomes. Light cannot disappear. It must become something else. I expect some physics know about that.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Space also implies that there is a containing area. That would be something.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

I believe that "everything" is "nothing." You have to have nothing before you can have anything.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Can you define everything and nothing for me?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Nothing cannot be thought. It can only be felt.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
No, because in order for it to be noticed that there is nothing, there has to be something to notice.

Chicken and egg.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Hushabye

And that is exactly were I stand at the momemnt ahha
edit on 21-7-2015 by ServantOfTheLamb because: THough I don't think Chicken and egg reference really apply.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

If nothing can be felt then that implies there is something to feel.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

What I wrote about tracing the path of anything is actually very fascinating. For example your thread did not exist here until you formulated it. Yet it was formed of so many parts and already existed in a fragmentary form as a multitude of parts that was put together by you. It's actually quite astounding. Consider all the resources it took for you to write this thread. Consider the diversity of energies. Here is just a very short and inclusive list:

the language you have written in, the concepts you have used, the kinetic actions of typing, mental processes, use of a keyboard, the invention of the keyboard, the invention of the computer...the list is endless.

All those changes and accumulations. Honestly the list is huge. It appears more like it takes everything to do just one action. I hope I made sense here. I think we could trace your thread's origins back to the big bang and beyond (that is if there even was a big bang). It is mighty strange...wow!

edit on 21-7-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I am not quite sure what this has to do with nothing, but I would say the contingency of my thread stops with me at tip. The thread is merely information. That information is stored inside me. If there was no me my information would not be. If there were no computer the information could still exist.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Nothing is a concept, so I think it's safe to assume that nothing can exist even as a concept. The fact we have a word that describes "nothing" goes to show that it does exist as a concept.

What we see is 99.99999% empty space, so it's probably as close to nothing as you can get outside of the concept of nothing, at least in concrete terms. Abstract thoughts are "nothing".

This reality we live in is nothing and everything simultaneously because it includes both concrete things and abstract things. Abstract thoughts are "nothing" in a sense, yet they can materialize into concrete objects such as a concept for a building being built in the real world.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Because we live immersed in something, we cannot conceive of nothing. I say that because nothing is something it is literally impossible to experience.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower, Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour".

William Blake, the poet, puts it much better than me. I am trying to say that there was always something. If we trace every action, every thought, every particle of matter, the trail never ends. How can we even say there was a beginning? Something can not come from nothing.

You say your information would not exist yet it does exist. It exists right here:

What Is Nothing? Physicists Debate

This information was discussed by ancient Greek philosophers. Physicists and we here are discussing it in the present day. Even after all these years and constant analysis by generations of human minds a definitive answer has not been found.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

But abstract thought is something. It is a neural pattern and does exist. From these neural patterns a plan is designed. From that plan a house is built. The house is the result of a neural pattern and kinetic energy (that also exists and is the sum of other processes). It is made from matter in various forms; the wood from a tree that came from its own origins through many generations and evolution. The brick came from sand. The sand came from ground down rock. The rock came from a continental shelf. The continental shelf came from cooling lava. The lava came from a centrifuge of spinning gases. the spinning gases came from perhaps another long ago dead star (perhaps). The dead star came from a centrifuge of spinning gases that came from perhaps another dead star. The gases in turn originated as some other physical process. That quote from Blake now makes sense, seeing a world in a grain of sand. All matter is like that. It is the sum of parts that will be a part in another sum of parts. The process seems to have no beginning and no end, just a current state.

edit on 21-7-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Then please define nothing with a definition that is valid and sound.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Ah but the information from me is unique in that it has my diction, and sentence structure. My own personal flavor if you will, and the ancient philosophers and present day philosophers utilize their information to say it a way that fits their "flavor".

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join