It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. slams U.S. as 'stingy' over tsunami aid!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I'm no great fan of the UN, and I'm sure their spokesperson already regrets using the word "stingy".

Sure the US could be doing more, and I have no doubt that will happen as this thing continues. The key, as already mentioned in this thread, is for individuals to reach into their wallets.

There's a thread here that lists a bunch of agencies we can all donate to. I checked a few of them out yesterday, and Direct Relief International caught my eye; from their website:

Direct Relief International is a non-profit, non-political, and non-sectarian organization that provides assistance without regard to race, ethnicity, political or religious affiliation, gender, or ability to pay. We are committed to making every dollar count � less than 1% of our support goes to administrative and fundraising expenses.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof Link?

Added it now. I didn't realize I hadn't included it.

Originally posted by Seekerof Link?
Despite this, the aid and amounts will vary and change and will not be fully up-to-date, as noticed again by your quote.
Personally, all this blow-hard crap on who is giving what is all symantics.
Let's just get the aid and relief there, ASAP!

An update on the EU aid pledge mentions some problems with Jakarta on giving them aid. I'm not sure what tha's about:

EUBUSINESS
The European Commission announced Tuesday a further 20 million euros (27 million dollars) in EU aid for disaster-struck south Asia, and suggested an international donors' conference to coordinate efforts.

EU aid commissioner Louis Michel also warned that aid efforts must focus as much on the medium-term rehabilitation phase as immediate emergency efforts, saying it would be a huge mistake to leave a gap between the two stages.

"I really fear that rehabilitation will not happen straight away. It could be catastrophic," he told reporters in Brussels.

Concretely he announced the release of 10 million euros worth for India, Sri Lanka and the Maldives, while the same amount is earmarked for Indonesia, although it is not yet formally approved due to restrictions by Jakarta on aid.

The EU executive announced an initial three million euros in aid on the day an undersea earthquake off northern Indonesia triggered devastating tidal waves killing over 55,000 people around the Indian Ocean.

Michel, saying he was confident the EU will be the biggest donor to the south Asia relief effort, confirmed that under EU guidelines the commission can release up to 30 million euros in emergency aid.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
It would be nice to see some US corporations step up to the plate and give.

How much do they spend on political contributions?

How much on the armies of lobbyists in Washington?

Maybe since many of them claim their profits in the income tax-free Cayman islands and the Bahamas they are no longer US corporate citizens.

They are a part of the global community. It would be nice to see them act humane instead of as ruthless predators for a change.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I just heard on the radio that the US plans to up its aid but that it will be a line of credit.

Edit: abc.net.au

The $US20 million dollars in new US commitments came atop $US11 million in similar Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance funds approved Monday and $US4 million earmarked for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

Mr Ereli said the latest assistance was akin to a line of credit to be disbursed to US missions and humanitarian groups dealing with the tidal waves triggered Sunday by a mammoth earthquake off Indonesia.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by cargo]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The people in that that tidal wave area's should consider living up on higher ground.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
When your HIGHEST point is only 25-30 feet above sea level for 25 miles inland, OR your whole island is only 20 miles across and in the tens of feet above sea level...you dont have much choice.

As far as the UN goes.....they are the FIRST ones in line to bash the USA for many reasons, especially its current forigne policy, yet they come running with their hands out BEGGING for help when the crap hits the fan....

Fortunatly the USA would have helped without the UN's asking, or permission. Dear World, lets take note here of the leading countries involved in aid for this disaster....arent they ALL coalition members in the war in Iraq? Isnt the USA providing the MOST money at this point?
Gee for big mean countries, they sure are selflessly giving quite a bit.

PS NO country that is providing aid of ANY level is to be dimminished here, just noting who steps up when duty calls, even tho the world likes to bash some of them.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Thought some might find this interesting reading

www.pipa.org...

In the current poll respondents (American) also overestimated the percentage given by the US of "all of the aid given by wealthy countries to poor countries." The median estimate was 33%. In 1999, the US was responsible for about 16% of all development assistance given by the major industrialized countries, and as a share of GDP gave the lowest amount of all.

And these survey results are an interesting read:

www.pipa.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Sure the per capita is lower, yet the TOTAL amount is higher....when it comes to raw dollars...the USA is leading this effort...if you want to squeeze the #'s to show things as a percentage given....1% in the USA is worth more than 1% in other countries....

veiled America bashing if i ever saw it.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
America Bashing? Im assuming you dont think that site is America bashing, because its just reporting the figures. But instead think I am America bashing. Get your head out of your arse, please.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Germany(alone no EU counted) raised the aid to 20 Million � and will reduce debts of Somalia and Indonesia
His speech sure did the trick

[edit on 29/12/04 by tsuribito]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
When Iran suffered the earthquake in Bam. The International community pledged billions in relief. According to the Iranian president they only received $17 million in total.

The political rhethoric cannot be more transparent. It's taken Bush 5 days to actually speak. Pathetic.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
In response to OID from original news thread:

1.Actually... before the true extent of the damage has become known you, and people like you, decided that the US was failing the world.

You are making generalizations. There has not been a single instance where I have blamed the US for this.

2.Yes... the regional governments are, to some extent, to blame. I read about the earthquake before the tsunami hit. One would imagine that there would be a single person in the government of one of these countries who keeps an eye on seismic activity. And, sorry, but I did not 'demonize' the countries involved. I don't appreciate your reckless histrionics.

No, they are not. I would rather not play the blaming game, thank you.
Yes, you did attempt to demonize by throwing dirt at the countries, to somehow undermine them. It's obvious you were doing that, because it was not based in facts. For example "India is building better and more ICBMS" it does not even have ICBMS. Yawn.

3.I see that you still haven't got a clue as to what I was saying on that other thread. I know that you don't really care, anyways... after all, it seems more than apparent that people who share your beliefs are more than happy to spit out kneejerk, prefabricated responses whenever they encounter something they don't understand.

It's kind of obvious what you were saying, and in case you missed it, you were condemned by nearly everyone. Anyway, I am willing to let bygones be bygones so as long as you can accept your folly.

I am not a Bush hater, a terrorist, or one of those libreals. If you did not notice I also condemned the other countries too, not just America. Nothing personal.

4.Don't respond to me with BS about how I 'demonize' people ever again. Lame sympathy/victim rhetoric might work at gatherings with your friends... but I can see straight through it and expect not to be insulted by seeing pathetic attempts at playing the rhetoric game directed at me.

I won't comment in interests of keeping this civil.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Indigo,

Please, who are you kidding? There's nothing worse than a guy who starts a fight and then acts like an indignant victim. I suggest you read your own posts... perhaps then you will realize how extreme and ill-timed your kneejerk criticism of the US/Bush has been.

And, so far as that thread about online propaganda goes, if you don't understand that I was complaining about BS that claims the US eats kids or harvests body parts... and if you still decide to act like someone who has been unfairly discriminated against... i see little point in reading anything you write.

Odd

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I've been more or less disregarding his posts since the whole **CIVIL WAR WATCH** thing... and of course there's always the "now, i'm not a liberal" disclaimer at the end.

to America... highest total contribution thus far.
to the UN: as was said, they get upset whenever we make our own decisions, but their hands are in our pockets just the same.
to France... say what you will, that won't change the fact that they've sent around $2.50 per dead citizen, and I'm sure the numbers of wounded and homeless are much higher.

and, lastly,
to Jan Egeland... a lot of western nations are being pretty stingy, but that doesn't mean they should raise their taxes.

When the government makes these kind of decisions, why should the people have to pay for them?

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Indigo,

Please, who are you kidding? There's nothing worse than a guy who starts a fight and then acts like an indignant victim. I suggest you read your own posts... perhaps then you will realize how extreme and ill-timed your kneejerk criticism of the US/Bush has been.

First and foremost, nor am I acting like a victim or am a victim. Unlike yourself I actually stand by everything I say, and do not change it, because people disagree.

And, so far as that thread about online propaganda goes, if you don't understand that I was complaining about BS that claims the US eats kids or harvests body parts... and if you still decide to act like someone who has been unfairly discriminated against... i see little point in reading anything you write.

You know what, there is no point in actually discussing this. I and many others know very well what you said in that thread. I'll just leave it at that. For now, let's discuss what the topic mandates, and that is US is being stingy.

I am sorry but I don't buy this false display of charity by the US. All it is political rhetoric. I respect those who are donating $300+ and really admire their kind-heartedness, but you know what I am not going to emulate what they do. You know why? We pay taxes. We are already being separated of our money for what we are told is in the interests of health and security, but it is actually used to fund wars, weapons and nazi-lead programs like Planned Parenthood.

So, why don't you actually say to the leadership of your country, to use that tax money you pay for the benefit of these people in SE Asia?
How much money can you collect? How many of you will donate? Do you have any idea the amount you collect, will be measly compared to what these rich countries could give.

Everytime I hear that there is poverty in the world....there is poverty in the world..... there is poverty in the world. All I hear is talk. Does anyone have any idea if the richest in the world just gave 5% each it would be over. This is why I don't buy the political crap.

The reason they don't do this, is not because they can't or have not contemplated it, but because they need the poor, because without the poor, they are not rich. It's all power, Neo. They would rather keep them dependent on handouts. It's a bit like the saying, give a man fish and he will feed himself and his family for one day; give a man a net and he can catch his own fish.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
I've been more or less disregarding his posts since the whole **CIVIL WAR WATCH** thing... and of course there's always the "now, i'm not a liberal" disclaimer at the end.

What was wrong with "CIVIL WAR WATCH" I won't bother. If you have a problem with me, then you can put me on ignore. However, to post to make a derogative personal remark about a member is not only indecent but flame bait. In the interests of constructive discussion you should know better.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child

You know what, there is no point in actually discussing this. I and many others know very well what you said in that thread. I'll just leave it at that. For now, let's discuss what the topic mandates, and that is US is being stingy.

Um, yes, people do know what I wrote there. People also know that ATS has been flooded with 'US harvesting body parts in Iraq' type stories lately. I think that my reputation, at least among rational people, is 100% intact.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Um, yes, people do know what I wrote there. People also know that ATS has been flooded with 'US harvesting body parts in Iraq' type stories lately. I think that my reputation, at least among rational people, is 100% intact.

I am not going to bother. You have not addressed the topic at hand itself.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
this will proabably piss alot of you off but I say "look elsewhere". Yes, the United States is known for its wealth, but what about all the homeless families here in the United States who live in shelters, who cant find work at a decent amount of pay for them too actually own thier own homes. What about all the famers who have lost thier land from the Goverment purchasing products from other countries. I am truely saddened by what has happened but I will not pay more taxes to assist other countries in thier time of need when I see so many of my brother and sisters (Americans) homeless, jobless, etc. Fix the problems here at home first, then worry about the rest of the world. Remember this.... not all Americans are rich, most live paycheck to paycheck with both Mothers and Fathers working while thier children are neglected by the loss of time between Parents and Children...

Sorry.. Im an American and this is how I feel.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
this will proabably piss alot of you off but I say "look elsewhere". Yes, the United States is known for its wealth, but what about all the homeless families here in the United States who live in shelters, who cant find work at a decent amount of pay for them too actually own thier own homes. What about all the famers who have lost thier land from the Goverment purchasing products from other countries. I am truely saddened by what has happened but I will not pay more taxes to assist other countries in thier time of need when I see so many of my brother and sisters (Americans) homeless, jobless, etc. Fix the problems here at home first, then worry about the rest of the world. Remember this.... not all Americans are rich, most live paycheck to paycheck with both Mothers and Fathers working while thier children are neglected by the loss of time between Parents and Children...

Sorry.. Im an American and this is how I feel.

You did not piss me off. I absolutely agree with you. All this is a show. Is this the first time hundreds of thousands are dying? Is this the first time hundreds of thousands have needed help?

Everday, there are hundreds of thousands who sleep on empty stomaches and in harsh colds. What about them? I ask all of those pledging their hard earned cash today, where were you yesterday?

You have already paid tax to the government. You've done your part. There are homeless, hungry and poor in your own country. Why don't you actually go out there and help them personally? Or is it easier by just putting x amount in a charity. Is it for them? Or is it for your own peace of mind?

I would prefer you actually fight for their rights and help them become sovereign than give them pity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join