It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to carry ID, License, insurance, documents, blah?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Just wanted to add that my son was not beaten for not producing a DL. He was beaten because that particular cop, in that particular area-was an a$$. He had to go through that area in Pittsburgh to get to his place of treatment for an ailment, and was doing nothing unlawful.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Show me someone arrested and beaten in the United States solely for not having their drivers license in possession.

Why? It was a minor side track conversation. Please stay on topic.
It is a legal requirement for folk in the US to carry papers while they drive.
It is not in the UK.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Why? It was a minor side track conversation. Please stay on topic.

Which you initiated with your multiple, throw away comments, you derail your own thread.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RobinB022

Not producing DL a good excuse to beat him and get away with it though?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

...and you amuse me with your sidertracks

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

...and you amuse me with your sidertracks

Thank you, I but follow the path that you have laid.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
So people, are you legally required to carry documents while driving?

No in the UK,.
Yes in the US.

I'm interested in all the ATS members around the world so please do tell it as it is where you are.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

We don't carry "papers", I believe you are wording it that way to purposely fuel the fire. I mean, the cops don't say "show me der papers."

We carry DL or ID (it looks like DL), insurance + registration. These documents are needed when stopped by LEO, when in an accident, and as a means to identify ourselves in the event of situation/s where we might not be able, or inclined to identify ones self. Nothing nefarious.

We need ID for everything,,Dr., cashing checks, driving, buying a car, etc. It's really nothing nefarious.

If you want to let US know that you think we live in a police state..no need to tell us what we (some) already think. On the other hand, there are hundreds of millions of us, and people are kidnapped, homeless, runaways, etc. So, there does need to be a way to identify all of us.

Don't get it twisted though, for you are only kidding yourself if you think you are any more free than any of us.
It's an illusion.

Besides the fact that we need a drivers license to drive a car, and show that DL if we are pulled.. how else is LEO supposed to know we have a DL if we don't show it. They can look it up sure, but do you expect them to just trust and take us at our word.. cause that aint hapenin'.

Your cops don't all carry guns do they, and have a population of gun owners.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

The cop did not ask for DL. I already said this.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: RobinB022

Why bring the story into the thread then?
This is a discussion about being legally required to carry ID or not.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I was merely adding to the thread, and the fact that cops are different, situations are different. One cop might hold you up with trumped up charges for not producing a DL, some might beat you for no reason, while others might let you go with a warning or a reminder to carry your DL while in possession of a vehicle.

That's all.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

a reply to: ChiefD

So would your crime have been failing to not have the documents on you while you were driving?
In the UK you just need to be able to produce the proof in 7 days.
Don't even need ID, I haven't carried any for many years.

Damn, I'm jealous! No, I got stopped for a rolling stop at a stop sign. Warning all around, lecture, but no ticket. Now I always carry current proof of insurance and never roll through stop signs.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I was merely adding to the thread, and the fact that cops are different, situations are different. One cop might hold you up with trumped up charges for not producing a DL, some might beat you for no reason, while others might let you go with a warning or a reminder to carry your DL while in possession of a vehicle.

That's all.

That's cool.
This thread is about law. Legal enforcement of law, and if people are forced by law to carry ID when they drive.
Some countries apparently so. A legal requirement.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Basically, a person doesn't have to carry an ID, passport or squat. There are some activities that require a license or proof of who you are. To do that activity a person proves their identity or license. EG: Take money from a bank account, get a loan, get a job, practice law.
edit on 7/21/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Basically, a person doesn't have to carry an ID, passport or squat. There are some activities that require a license or proof of who you are. To do that activity a person proves their identity or license. EG: Take money from a bank account, get a loan, get a job, practice law.
So...urm, driving specifically?
Do folk where you live have to show documents to police to do that?

*Edit*
On-topic if possible.

edit on 21.7.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

So...urm, driving specifically?
Do folk where you live have to show documents to police to do that?

*Edit*
On-topic if possible.

I've already responded on that issue.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

a reply to: roadgravel

But still you meekly conform?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I follow the law our society has made. I don't do crimes so I prefer to not give some one the chance to waste my time, money and freedom. i don't rob people either because it is not legal to do.

if I was walking around and asked, had no ID, i doubt anything would come of it. An id is not required to walk around.

So you just meekly 'follow the law' then, because society made it?
If you were a citizen would you agree with the ban on driving by women in Saudi then?

HeH, that made me chuckle. The U.S. drivers license law compared to S.A. and we are all compliant little sheep.

I am allowed to walk with or drive with my assault rifle and side arm, so since the UK forbids that aren't you being a meek little citizen following the rules?

We all have laws unique to our own countries that we follow without even thinking about them. To say we are meek little sheep for complying with carrying a drivers license is a bit of a stretch.
But if it makes you feel like your freedoms surpass ours in the states enjoy your perceived pedestal.

We are all controlled, and frankly I will take what is allowed by law in the states over what you are forced to live under in the UK.

But that's just me.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Don't like it or trust it.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Yes, it is a violation if you operate a vehicle without your DL in possession in Kentucky. You are required to appear in court at the court's discretion, not your own, to present your license as proof even though it is in the system for any authority to view.
However, the judge can waive the fine and simply make the offender pay the court costs on the day of the court appearance.(Costs are set by the state, in our Commonwealth each appearance is $143.00---not $72.70 as I stated earlier---apparently it has increased since I was in court last! Here's a list of offenses with fines & court costs in KY: www.lexingtonkylawfirm.com...) The judge and prosecutor can also drop the charges at their discretion and the offender can walk free of court costs, if they have a clear background as far as moving violations, arrests, etc.
The cop in the case of my relative knew that he was licensed to drive because he is in the system and has a clean driving record for the past 50 years. The cop also knew that his insurance was current and that the vehicle was registered to him because those items are in the system as well. But the city gets $25 for each seat belt violation so they sit and watch, especially at gas station/convenience stores and light people up as soon as their vehicle moves without a seat belt being fastened. Just recently the judge did a rant on them because they were lighting people up on the parking lots rather than waiting until they entered the roadway so they now wait until the car actually is on the road.
As you can see from the link above, driving without license in possession is a misdemeanor with a fine up to $250 and jail time up to 90 days in our state. I don't know how often that gets enforced if the person does produce a valid license in court since it is up to the judge and prosecutor. I suppose it depends on prior records.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Doctors offices also require ID...and they want to copy your driver license....so far...i've been able to keep them from copying mine....but I suspect it is only a matter of time.

Banks always require showing your license.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join