It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to carry ID, License, insurance, documents, blah?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Ironic America fought a bloody war to free themselves of British and now WE have laws that British dont! Funny how life comes full circle!

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
How about staying on topic instead of being silly?

Just following your lead.

Anything on topic you want answered?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

There are no statutory or any other vehicular laws for private car drivers in the UK being required to carry ID or license to drive legally.
My OP and all comments since stand quite well.

What happens if you don't go in, ever, to show your license/id? You said you're supposed to show it within the 7 days.
No fine or anything?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

How about staying on topic instead of being silly?

Just following your lead.

Anything on topic you want answered?
Nah, you've already stated that US drivers are legally required to carry papers to drive.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Locally police vehicles are equipped with license plate scanners already, for that reason.

As I understand it, the police cannot (yet) pull you over for showing as "no insurance" in the license plate database, but if there is some other reason (broken tail light, or whatever) they can pull you over, they can also ticket for failure to show valid proof of insurance.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Oh yeah, I previously said it became an offence if someone 'fails to provide' by 7 days.
...much less totalitarian than being in a situation where a cop can arrest you just for not having the right papers,

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Nah, you've already stated that US drivers are legally required to carry papers to drive.

I did indeed.

And I wanted to say I appreciate you relaying that UK drivers need to head to the police station to verify their identity, I found that rather informative.

If you ever find yourself in that rather troublesome circumstance my advice, from what I have read, is to avoid roadside cameras and the prolific amount of summonses you could find yourself inundated with.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

...much less totalitarian than being in a situation where a cop can arrest you just for not having the right papers,

Where does this happen?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
And I wanted to say I appreciate you relaying that UK drivers need to head to the police station to verify their identity, I found that rather informative.

Yep we can pick any police station in the UK within the 7 days, think statewide in the US.
That is a fair compromise between citizen and police.
....not like the guy who pulled your car over sticking cuffs on you.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

....not like the guy who pulled your car over sticking cuffs on you.

Where did this happen?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Does it not anywhere?
I was just comparing totalitarian situations in the context of being legally forced to carry ID/license while driving.
It is totalitarian, and amusing that you defend it.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

...and you called me the troll haha!

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Does it not anywhere?

You tell me, you were the one who said it. I try to have proof of the things that I claim.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

...and you called me the troll haha!

If the footwear fits. I am not the one claiming that people get arrested for not having a drivers license in possession now, am I?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

That depends on the circumstances. My son has been stopped on several occasions as he drives through a rough area in Pittsburgh. He was never in any trouble, nor did he have to show proof of who he was. The cops have everything they need on you by looking up your plate and or SS#.

He(son) was also stopped after he had his license revoked and was only given a ticket. He also was in an accident where he was at fault, no license and no trouble (his father paid the insurance). I think he's just been lucky in that regard.

On the other hand, two cops in Pittsburgh pulled him from his car, which was parked, and beat the hell out of him & his passenger. So I guess it's all on who the cop is.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Whatever fella, I'm here to ask about other members experiences with laws forcing them to carry papers to drive.
People are arrested and beaten for not having the right papers around the world every day for sure.
I'm not sure why you disagree with that.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
as far as i know we're not legally obliged to carry ID here in blighty (not 100% sure) and i don't. never have. i know who i am.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

People are arrested and beaten for not having the right papers around the world every day for sure.
I'm not sure why you disagree with that.

Show me someone arrested and beaten in the United States solely for not having their drivers license in possession.

If you end up arrested and beaten for not carrying your license you did something seriously wrong after you were stopped since it is only a motor vehicle infraction that carries a minor monetary penalty.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

You are correct, no ID carry requirements for citizens outside of civil/armed forces and SIA when working.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I may be full of kool-aid but, I'd rather show a DL and then be on my way then to have to take the time go to a station or court to prove I had one. Why turn something minor into another trip I have to schedule and incur more cost of time and money.

If I had some fear of having an ID I wouldn't drive.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join