It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to carry ID, License, insurance, documents, blah?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

How is it an enforceable requirement if it is not an offence which can be enforced then?
If something is not an offence in the UK then most folk ignore it.

I think it is you playing semantics now lol

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
How is it an enforceable requirement if it is not an offence which can be enforced then?

You do know the definition of the word 'discretion', right?

Do I think people should drive without their license? no. Do I think you will end up arrested if you do? No.

Frankly, all it seems you want to do is have some sort of United States/United Kingdom drivers license pissing contest with all your 'land of the free' bull**** comments. Which I think is funny with the proliferation of roadside cameras doling out tickets in your country and which were just declared illegal in my state.

edit on 21-7-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

en.m.wikipedia.org...

The original Real ID Act, H. R. 418, was approved by the House on February 10, 2005, by a vote of 261–161. At the insistence of the Real ID Act sponsor and then House Judiciary Committee Chair F. James Sensenbrenner(Republican, Wisconsin), the Real ID Act was subsequently attached by the House Republican leadership as arider to H.R. 1268, a bill dealing with emergency appropriations for the Iraq War and with the Tsunami relief funding. H.R. 1268 was widely regarded as a "must-pass" legislation. The original version of H.R. 1268 was passed by the Senate on April 21, 2005, and did not include the Real ID Act. However, the Real ID Act was inserted in the conference report on H.R. 1268 that was then passed by the House on May 5, 2005, by a 368–58 vote and was unanimously passed by the Senate on May 10, 2005.[79]The Senate never discussed or voted on the Real ID Act specifically and no Senate committee hearings were conducted on the Real ID Act prior to its passage.[80] Critics charged that this procedure was undemocratic and that the bill's proponents avoided a substantive debate on a far-reaching piece of legislation by attaching it to a "must-pass" bill.

There is disagreement about whether the Real ID Act institutes a "national identification card" system.[85]The new law only sets forth national standards, but leaves the issuance of cards and the maintenance of databases in state hands...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You do know the definition of the word 'discretion', right?

Do I think people should drive without their license? no. Do I think you will end up arrested if you do? No.

Frankly, all it seems you want to do is have some sort of United States/United Kingdom drivers license pissing contest with all your 'land of the free' bull**** comments.

This thread is not about police using discretion to ignore laws, it is about laws requiring people to carry papers or not to drive.
It is an international question, not exclusive to the US, just happens that most responses are from the US...get over yousrelf and have a cup of tea maybe?

UK people are not legally required to carry papers to drive. US folk are.
Maybe other countries are different? It is why I asked the question.
Chill.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

This thread is not about police using discretion to ignore laws, it is about laws requiring people to carry papers or not to drive.
It is an international question, not exclusive to the US, just happens that most responses are from the US

And who said it was exclusively a United States-centric thread? You are the one making the inane comments regarding freedom.

...get over yousrelf and have a cup of tea maybe?

Nah, tea is bland, I prefer bourbon.

UK people are not legally required to carry papers to drive. US folk are.
Maybe other countries are different? It is why I asked the question.
Chill.

Totally chilled. Particularly knowing Big Brother and his traffic cameras cannot issue me violations.

edit on 21-7-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Are you kidding...just kidding,
but seriously, I've been fingerprinted at the grocery store. I was paying by check and this is in NC. When I lived in PA I never had to go through some of the hoops that I do here (only 450 miles away).

If a person gets stopped here they are asked for license + registration (and insurance if there is an accident, maybe even if not an accident). We've gone through a couple road checks where they asked for only license, but I think they were checking for DUI and seatbelts.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

How are my comments inane?
It is a valid question about ATS members who are forced to carry ID.
You clearly are such a fellow and feel more than happy.
I am pleased for you, but you seem emotional and looking to argue about anything so I ask that you stay on topic please.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RobinB022

Is it a criminal offence if you cannot produce the license to the officer asking for it?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Your rather banal 'land of the free' comments were inane considering you have your own peccadillos in regards the operation of motor vehicles.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Your rather banal 'land of the free' comments were inane considering you have your own peccadillos in regards the operation of motor vehicles.

Do you have anything 'on topic' to contribute?
Perhaps discuss citizens being required to carry ID/license in order to drive a car.
...and you raised troll questions about me lol

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Yes, no where in the United States is it a criminal offence to drive without your license in possession.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Yes, no where in the United States is it a criminal offence to drive without your license in possession.

So what is it a civil offence or statutory law?
Why have people other than yourself indicated it is punishable to drive without carrying the necessary papers?
...if it is not criminal then why do the police have an interest regarding carrying the documents while driving?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

So what is it a civil offence or statutory law?

Vehicular statues.

Why have people other than yourself indicated it is punishable to drive without carrying the necessary papers?

A vehicular citation is not the same as a civil or criminal violation.

...if it is not criminal then why do the police have an interest regarding carrying the documents while driving?

Because they also enforce vehicular and roadway laws.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

It may vary by state. I live in Wisconsin. I need license, registration, and proof of insurance, current proof. The last time I was in a traffic stop, I had insurance info from the previous six months. Fortunately, I got off with a warning. Now I always keep my current auto insurance policy in my wallet.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

There are no statutory or any other vehicular laws for private car drivers in the UK being required to carry ID or license to drive legally.
My OP and all comments since stand quite well.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

There are no statutory or any other vehicular laws for private car drivers in the UK being required to carry ID or license to drive legally.
My OP and all comments since stand quite well.

Good for you. Have fun with your cameras.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Re: Proof of Insurance, where I live the laws are slowly evolving to allow for several kinds of proof (show your coverage details on your smart phone, for example), and I say "it's about time!"

On the downside, the major insurance providers here seem to have a direct line to the state... I canceled insurance on an out-of-commission, soon-to-be-junked vehicle on April 13. On April 17th, I received a notice from the state, requiring me to show proof of insurance on that specific vehicle (but not the 2 others we own) for April 14th. As part of the state's "Random confirmation process".

Of course I couldn't provide proof of insurance, so had to submit the repair bill quote, along with a statement as to our plans to junk the vehicle, as documentation to justify dropping the insurance. And I'm lucky it was accepted without challenge.

Apparently. the document collection process for the "random" confirmation process isn't done by the state itself, it is outsourced to a vendor who collects and digitizes the "proof" that is submitted.

The choices for discussing the matter with someone were (a) send us the required paperwork, or (b) we'll suspend your driver's license and you can show up in court when we say it's convenient to prove to us you have a valid reason for not having insurance. And pay the fee for reinstatement of your license. And if you get caught driving while your license is suspended... the notice was quite clear there would be no grace for driving to work, or the doctor or whatever other necessary functions you may need to take care of while the license is under suspension.

It did strike me as terribly heavy-handed, and I must say, I am still somewhat irritated over that.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

So would your crime have been failing to not have the documents on you while you were driving?
In the UK you just need to be able to produce the proof in 7 days.
Don't even need ID, I haven't carried any for many years.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt

Wait until your proof of insurance and drivers information is encoded into your vehicle so roadside cameras or police vehicles can scan them instantly. Some of our more lucky posters have this already.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

How about staying on topic instead of being silly?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join