It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to carry ID, License, insurance, documents, blah?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No, I disagree.
Other posters here have indicated that it is a chargeable offence if a police officer asks for ID/licence after a traffic stop and the driver has left it at home.
So which is it?
Do you get a ticket which presumes guilt until said ID/license is provided, or do you get a formal request to produce proof within 7 days like in the UK?
I say it is you playing semantics perhaps because it pains you that the UK is less totalitarian in this specific regard.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Same here, I'm shocked with the privilege comments, and the obvious thing that carrying ID to be allowed to drive a car is normal to some US folk.
Land of the free eh? lol

Herp derp. Now I call trolling:

Having a Driving licence in the UK for any motor vehicle is a privilege and not a right...UKDRIVERS.COM

edit on 21-7-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

But the main point is that you need no documentation on you to drive if the government have on record that you passed your test.
Cops in the US seem to be able to arrest people who are driving without papers as it is a crime in itself not being able to prove things to the officer..
That seems totalitarian to me for obvious reasons.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Other posters here have indicated that it is a chargeable offence if a police officer asks for ID/licence after a traffic stop and the driver has left it at home.

Do you even know what a 'chargeable offence' happens to be? It is a motor vehicle fine and not a criminal violation.

So which is it?
Do you get a ticket which presumes guilt until said ID/license is provided, or do you get a formal request to produce proof within 7 days like in the UK?
I say it is you playing semantics perhaps because it pains you that the UK is less totalitarian in this specific regard.

You can get a ticket or you can be let go if your credentials match when they are checked. It all depends on the officer and if are behaving like an ass.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Lol, some private website selling driver services!
Show me a '.gov.uk' site mentioning privilege and I may be interested.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

So again I'll ask clearly, is it a requirement to carry ID/license/insurance documents to drive a car in the US?
Yes or no?

*Edit*
It is not a legal requirement in the UK.
edit on 21.7.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

So again I'll ask clearly, is it a requirement to carry ID/license/insurance documents to drive a car in the US?
Yes or no?

Yes.

*Edit*
It is not a legal requirement in the UK.

Then why would you have to go to a police station to present your license?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Perhaps you missed it, I said 'carry' to drive a car.
We do not have to carry papers in the UK, just show some proof a week later at a police station of our choice anywhere in the UK if we are asked.
Your semantics argument fails badly.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I understand the point but end of the day its easier to produce your licence if or when pulled over by our beloved Police force than to have to turn up at the cop shop the next day and produce it then.

Also not having your licence/insurance details at hand sometimes provokes the overzealous twats that are our Police officers in to a search of your vehicle and/or further investigation. Which can be rather inconvenient, certainly time consuming and embarrassing to both yourself and any one else that happens to have the misfortune of being present.

Totally agree it is totalitarian, certainly a signs of the times in which we live.

edit on 21-7-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

We do not have to carry papers in the UK, just show some proof a week later at a police station of our choice anywhere in the UK if we are asked.

Frankly I would rather carry my ID and clear up any confusion immediately then have to go to a police station at some later date and prove that I am myself.

Total semantics.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Frankly I would rather carry my ID and clear up any confusion immediately then have to go to a police station at some later date and prove that I am myself.

Total semantics.

No, that is an issue of personal choice you talk of now.
The question was about being 'required' to carry ID to drive. The US requires and enforces it, the UK does not.
Which bit of that do you disagree with?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I carry no ID, and I only will when I need to.
The point of this thread is simply that I am not required to.
That pleases me.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

[
No, that is an issue of personal choice you talk of now.
The question was about being 'required' to carry ID to drive. The US requires and enforces it, the UK does not.
Which bit of that do you disagree with?

And? You played it off like you can just motor around without ramifications. If you drive in the UK without your license in possession you end up having to visit a police station to prove your identity. The end result is the same, you have to prove who you are.

You are just trolling.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

No you don't.
If the cop believes you because you are providing the same information he is seeing on the screen or hearing on the radio then he/she lets us go with a smile generally.
Troll? Really? Have you no better reasoned argument than that?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

No you don't.
If the cop believes you because you are providing the same information he is seeing on the screen or hearing on the radio then he/she lets us go with a smile generally?

Oh, you mean just like in the United States?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Thats great that it pleases you if the point you are trying to make is that ID is not a legal requirement to have on your person in this county. But trust me at some point and at some time not having said documentation will most lightly be an inconvenience. That's simply the way this country is progressing, 1984 and all that jazz.

Bit off topic but truth be told if Cameron gets his way soon "they" will be able to serve up 10 year gaol sentences for simple possession of torrent files.

edit on 21-7-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

a reply to: slapjacks

Sounds horrible if that is the thing in Federal law..."Show me your papers!"
Nothing like that here in the UK without 'reasonable suspicion' in the cops argument.

in America, you need to immediately act subservient to any LEO that talks to you. you do what he says, or you get detained, arrested, or shot.....simple rules to live by, don't you think...that is THE definition of a police state
edit on 21-7-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

No apparently.
I asked you if it is a requirement to carry ID/license/insurance documents to drive a car in the US?
You replied yes.

It is not a requirement in the UK.
Why do you struggle with that?

...your debating style is tiresome with such inconsistencies.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

No apparently.
I asked you if it is a requirement to carry ID/license/insurance documents to drive a car in the US?
You replied yes.

It is, but it is also not a criminal offence. The majority of the time if the officer can determine it is you (and you are not acting like a jackass) you are free to go. It has happened to me, how many times have you been stopped in the United States without a license?

It is not a requirement in the UK

Good for you. I am glad to hear that you would rather get stopped and then have to waste more time at a later date proving who you are.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Thats great that it pleases you if the point you are trying to make is that ID is not a legal requirement to have on your person in this county. But trust me at some point and at some time not having said documentation will most lightly been an inconvenience. Thats simply the way this country is progressing, 1984 and all that jazz.

Bit off topic but truth be told if Cameron gets his way soon "they" will be able to serve up 10 year gaol sentences for simple possession of torrent files.

Probably true, it is why I am pointing out the difference between the US and UK right now.
I'm actually amazed any US folk are defending laws requiring the carry of documents to drive.
I am also glad we do not have those laws in the UK right now.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join