It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old School Computer Ads - 10MB Hard Disk for Only $3398!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Do you guys remember PC Magazine used to ship with CD's full of demos and...well basically crap?!

LOL and all those AOL/Prodigy CDs...I swear...

I remember those!
We'd spend half the day fiddling with the .bat and .sys files so that the correct sound drivers got installed in the correct way FOR EACH FRIGGIN GAME

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders
Tandy always did demand a premium. Worst part is, you didn't even get the monitor and mouse for that price. A few years later, in the early 90's, that same computer probably would have gone way down in price.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: BrianFlanders
Tandy always did demand a premium. Worst part is, you didn't even get the monitor and mouse for that price. A few years later, in the early 90's, that same computer probably would have gone way down in price.

Actually, now that I think of it, my first real computer was a 286. Not a 386. I had an 8088 before that but I don't think of it as a "real computer" because it didn't even have a hard drive and the monitor was monochrome.

Still, I bought the 286 around the same time the 386 came out and the 386s weren't much more at the time. You might be right about the Tandy being more expensive but it would have to be outlandishly expensive to be selling for $8000 when you could buy a 286 for about $400.

Funny thing. I remember at the time that I just had some vague idea of what a modem was. I bought a used one somewhere around 1990 but I never really figured out what to do with it. I didn't figure out how to actually get online until 1999. LOL

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
man i used to have a 2mb drive. the size of a brick and weighed more haha. opened her up and used her as a beautiful door stop. then my mother for no reason threw it out ;-(

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I learned to program on a TSR 80 with 4k of memory and an audio cassette drive.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Imagine doing backup or installs from 5.25 floppies now.

"Insert disk 1366 and press return"

Your post clearly proves you weren't there.

The correct prompt would have been:

"Insert disk 1366 and press any key".

edit on 25/7/2015 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Do you guys remember PC Magazine used to ship with CD's full of demos and...well basically crap?!

LOL and all those AOL/Prodigy CDs...I swear...

Whaddya mean 'used to'?

I remember the byte code printed in Dr. Dobb's magazines. Heck, I remember Dr. Dobb's Magazine! Full title something like "Dr. Dobbs Journal of Computer Orthodontia" I think.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join