It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old School Computer Ads - 10MB Hard Disk for Only $3398!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Tracing circuits to find that ONE circuit that is connected to the ONE wrong socket is MUCH worse.

Oh, so you made mistakes, huh? I've heard of that!

LOL! Sorry! But I was pretty damn good with the attention to detail. The engineers loved me and called me "the surgeon" because I could repair surface mounted components whose legs had broken off (they were expensive at first!) and I also hand etched some of our surface-mounted circuit board prototypes. God! I had fun!

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Dating myself severely. I worked for DEC in the 80's and for my personal computer, had an Apple III. It had a 5mb hard drive, called a "Profile" drive. The III was really a II in a metal case with a real time clock. Priced around $7k, it caught on fire, luckily while I was home. Apple replaced it because it was a design flaw.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
My very first puter was the TI-99/4a. My neighbor friend got a VIC-20. I was so jealous because we would go to the Virginia Tech library and find programs innmagazines like Byte to type in and his was more lenient than mine.

I miss those old cassette tape drives.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'm much better at finding errors in programs. I find them more akin to solving a puzzle than finding errors in a circuit board; which I find akin to tracing a super complicated maze. Though sometimes when your program is outputting something completely different than you are expecting and there are no errors to correct, finding THOSE problems can be tough (for me it's usually the result of a misplaced negation operator or a less than symbol being where a greater than symbol should be).

Plus I can write programs that solve mazes

edit on 21-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I'm much better at finding errors in programs.

Ah! A nerd, then? The old software vs hardware dynamic seems to work, though. My husband (who I met at Intel) is a software developer and it works for us.

Plus I can write programs that solve mazes

Cool!

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I'm much better at finding errors in programs.

Ah! A nerd, then?

Heh. Going by how I talk on these forums, is this a surprise to you?

The old software vs hardware dynamic seems to work, though. My husband (who I met at Intel) is a software developer and it works for us.

Yin and Yang. Oil and water. Black and white. Opposites attract.

Does that mean I'm destined to find someone who can't stand music?

Cool!

Yep, just keep making right turns (or left turns, just be consistent in which direction you keep turning) and you will eventually solve the maze. Though there are faster ways to rule out whole pathways, but similar to tracing a tree structure the hard way, it gets the job done.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
My dad had a Guinness World Records book from... 1998 or 1999, somewhere around there.

I recently looked in the technology "world records" and focused on computers; At that time, the world record for the fastest CPU was a "supercomputer" with somewhere around a 600MHz CPU.

We just look back on that and laugh nowadays. (Current world record is something over 8GHz, or 8000MHz, I don't remember the exact numbers though, sorry.
)

Also worth noting is computer CPUs back then only had one core; Today even dual-cores are going the way of the Dodo for quad, hex, and octo-core CPUs.

If you go by companies tech shows , the fastest processor was previewed somewhere around 2009 . It was an Intel cell processor running at over 1 thz

You got any proof? I googled and can't find any such processor. I did find the first 1THz "chip" (not processor) made by DARPA last year, but nothing about an Intel cell processor 6 years ago.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

You know , I cant find it either. It was in all the tech magazines and websites at the time.And it was around Feb - March of that year. Was all the talk where I work. (I really dont have much time to look , but I may try to find later)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
i think my first computer was a Tandy 2000 maybe and it had 1 mb of disk space and a floppy and hard disk drive which was pretty cool back then and we were told "this is all the space you'll ever need".

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
hmm - i remember my first PC buy , and i decided i wanted state of the art everything - then my jaw dropped when the price of all the bitts added up - so to save money - i down graded from 1.6 to 1.2 gig hard drive - cos as the guy said - you will never fill that
- true story from 1994

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
a reply to: jtrenthacker

I was liking the first season, but it started getting absurd after they started basically inventing everything from chat rooms,social media, online gaming, the first IBM clone. Basically anything that has to do with the internet or computers, these people invented it and all at once. I am like come on, I didn't happen like that.

I know, but I overlook that as it is a fictitious drama after all. I just like the nostalgia of all the old tech.
edit on 21-7-2015 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My first computer was 80386/ 16Mhz with a monochrome tv style monitor. I had to take out a loan being able to buy it. Fortunately enough I was able to sell it at the right moment for a decent price and move on for something better, faster...stronger.

Those were the days... can you imagine that our present computer configurations will become a simular joke not far in the distant future..

edit on 21/7/2015 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Desktop computers were faster than 600mhz in the late '98/'99s, let alone supercomputers.

I'm going to have to get the book and see.

Also it was just whatever was in the Guinness Book of Records. Not everybody cares about being in that book, even if they break the record.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Even The Guinness World Records people would have been aware that an off-the-shelf personal computer was not the most powerful supercomputer in the world

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I dunno.

I'm still doing all those same things with computers today. My screen is now flat, but I'm still using a keyboard and mouse...I'm still using spreadsheets and word processors.

Sure, they're big and clunky and slow -- but nothing really has changed 180 since those ads.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I wrote my first programs on a DEC PDP 11/70 system. Pretty cool system at the time.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Isn't it funny how as drive capacities increase, the file sizes of movies and software go with them?
Anyway, found this awesome video of a massive 10Mb hard drive (¼ million dollars worth) being taken apart.....
www.youtube.com...
edit on 21/7/15 by Esarman because: video link not working

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
i remember going on the internet for the first time on my brand spanking new Sega Dreamcast.
that was a world changer for me.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Esarman
Isn't it funny how as drive capacities increase, the file sizes of movies and software go with them?
Anyway, found this awesome video of a massive 10Mb hard drive (¼ million dollars worth) being taken apart.....
www.youtube.com...

Well, that's because the files are taking advantage of the more powerful computers that become commonplace. They're becoming better, more productive, more visually appealing, with more features, higher quality, higher resolutions, etc. The computers become more powerful, the software takes advantage of the extra power, the hard drives have to increase in size to handle all that new data that the computers can now handle. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

edit on 21-7-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join