It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat Earth Believers, I would like to hear your ideas.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Howdy,

I am actually quite interested in this topic as well, so I too hope it doesn't just fizzle out. Specifically, I'd be interested in how Flat Earth hypotheses could account for geological phenomena such as continental drift, subduction and subduction related earthquakes, gravity profiles/geodesy, petrology (mainly pressure and heat required for certain rock types...), tectonics in general, hot spot volcanism (island chains that only make sense if they are produced on a spinning non-flat surface...), etc...

However, I suspect the reason you (and I) do not see much feedback is because the Flat Earth hypothesis can't compete with other scientific theories and mathematics which are consistent with a (somewhat) spherical Earth.

Sincerest regards,
Hydeman

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: hydeman11

I am curious as too how the globe earth theory was proven prior to NASA .The pic's they offer actually conflicts with the differing pictures (mental) we are given . The latest being pear shaped .So how did they prove the theory originally ?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

My brother is a diehard flat-earther.

Just wondering what is his age?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Eratosthenes demonstrated that the earth whas sphereical over 2000 years ago .

his probosed radius was erroneus - but considering the technology he had - it was very good

thus the earth was assumed to be a perfect sphere

advances in technolgy during the 19th and early 20th century detected the equitoral bulge - leasing to the oblate speriod model

its only in the last 40 years that satalties with sub centimeter accuracy have mapped the globe leasing to the discovery that the equator is not actually the largest circumfrance .

this is the progress of science

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I am curious as too how the globe earth theory was proven prior to NASA .

www.nuffieldfoundation.org...

www.aps.org...

Not hard to find when you look.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

"Traveller's tales of ships disappearing over the horizon " I have drove across Saskatchewan where a car would disappear from sight not because of a curve but because I could only see so far . At night it is much further or at least you can see a light off into the distance . It's like a light can only shine so far until it's not seen .Objects are the same deal .So back in Pythagoras' day what do you suppose was the most powerful telescope ?

"in an eclipse of the Moon, the Earth's shadow is always circular: a flat disc would cast an oval shadow " If that is what a eclipse is because when we see the different phases of the moon we see a curved shadow as well .Are the phases actually a type of eclipse or is a eclipse a quick type of phasing ?
edit on 21-7-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

During the phases of the moon, we are seeing the terminator of day/night as it progresses around us. During a full moon, it is in opposition with the sun, basically in a straight line with Earth in the middle. Therefore, the side facing us is fully illuminated. As the moon orbits Earth, the side facing us progresses through a night and day cycle as it also rotates. The moon is tidal locked with Earth, meaning that it's rotational period is equal to the length of one orbit around our planet. Which is why we always see the same side of it.
During an lunar eclipse, which can only happen during a full moon, the Sun-Earth-Moon alignment actually becomes a perfectly straight line for a brief time, and the moon passes through the shadow of Earth. During a Solar eclipse, which only occurs during a New Moon, it the opposite. The Moon lines up perfectly to cast a shadow across Earth.
edit on 21-7-2015 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Isn't the flat earth map the same as the U.N logo

I came across a fellow named.jeranism on YouTube.

He seems to have it all figured out. Maybe check out a video or two

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Here...

He is best known for being the first person to calculate the circumference of the Earth, which he did by applying a measuring system using stadia, a standard unit of measure during that time period. His calculation was remarkably accurate. He was also the first to calculate the tilt of the Earth's axis (again with remarkable accuracy). Additionally, he may have accurately calculated the distance from the Earth to the Sun and invented the leap day.[4] He created the first map of the world incorporating parallels and meridians, based on the available geographical knowledge of the era.

en.wikipedia.org...

scienceblogs.com...

Look up these two names...

Pythagoras

Aristotle

Your questions will be answered.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: GuySmiley007

He seems to have it all figured out.

All what figured out?

The Earth is round...there is nothing to figure out it isn't flat.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Says Earth is Pear Shaped and scientist claim it is bulged at the Equator but NASA put's up a pic that shows it's round .
surely it cant be all 3 at once . If it is a globe then the curve can be measured and tested .5 or 6 miles on a body of water should be enough to either confirm or falsify the hypothesis seeing we do not have a real picture from outer space .

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: teslarocks

originally posted by: pfishy
I really hope this thread doesn't fizzle out this quickly. I haven't really gotten any feedback on the topic yet.

OK Pfishy, I'll help you keep the thread alive. I enjoy the flat earth theory. I do not beLIEve it, but there are still arguments I haven't been able to debunk yet.

Flight Routes in Southern Hemisphere - Never shows direct flights from say South Africa to Austrailia, or Austrialla to Chile. Routes don't seem to make sense on globe earth model, but do on a flight earth map.
www.flightradar24.com...

Antartica Mystery - For an area that is most likely full of resources to make our life better, it's under treaty and pretty hands off.

No real convincing photo's of our globe earth. Yes even with the brand new one this week. After decades in space, we should have thousands of true photos of our earth as a globe. When doing a Google search, the majority of "photos" are illustrations or photo composites. Even NASA s site has only a limited amount of photos in low resolution. While were at it, the latest photo released this week is from a satellite a million miles away, while our moon is only 238,900 miles away. Why not take a photo of the two heavenly body's together. That would shut up the Flat Earthers once and for all.

Beyond that are the other questions of curvature, water always being level, etc, etc. Flat Earth is great fun and an interesting thought experiment. I like to question everything and there are lots of fun things to consider in this debate. And I enjoy the fighting between the Flat Earthers and the Globe Earthers on Youtube. It's like mental Professional Wrestling.

I asked a friend who's a pilot about the direct flights thing a while back when I started looking into the flat earth stuff. He broke down ETOPS which is extended twin operations. It means aircraft are regulated to fly a maximum of 6 hours from an airport over water in case an engine blows out.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Interesting...thank you. Did not know about ETOPS. But there are still flights that are longer then 6 hours aren't there? LAX to Tokyo, 11 hours, etc.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I'm leaning towards the "convex" earth after watching this...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: teslarocks

Yep there are but I don't think they spend more than 6 hours continuously over water.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: GuySmiley007

I have seen some of his videos before.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Cogidubnus

Where have you seen the curvarture with your own eyes? I have ridden in planes as well as many other people on this planet and they are the highest point you can get to on our standard and I have never seen curvature of the Earth, ever. There is no video you can find or produce without a fisheye lense (e,g, GoPro camera) that shows the curvature of the Earth. If anything at all it is shaped like a contact and you cannot prove it. Noone is allowed to go to Antarctica unless it is through a governent and they chaparone you the entire time. Think about that. Noone is allowed to go there with out the government,and no one country owns Antarctica, yet is is rich in minerals and fossil fuel. In our day of age that is ludicrous, undeniable false.

Try looking at flight patterns across the world and you will see how much the globe really doesn't correlate. Find me one person that flies only through the so-called Southern Hemisphere from continent to continent. Prove the world is a globe through math or observation, not from what you have been told.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

edit on 7/22/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: iDope

Noone is allowed to go to Antarctica unless it is through a governent and they chaparone you the entire time.

www.polar-quest.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

All pilots are being told that they just land every six hours incase an engine blows out? That is as dumb as a deaf and blind mongoloid, How does that make sense to anyone? Think about it? There are 13 hour nonstop flights leaving everyday at all times. How would an engine be considered safe after 6 hours of if it is just going to take off again and may fail after 2 hours? They don't check every part of the turbine and ensure it is safe everytime it lands. I myself have been on an 8 hour straight flight over ocean and land, is it safer crashing into ocean cause they have life jackets? LOL, that is a lie that they are told, trust me. All North pole and South Pole are militarized and you cannot fly over them if you tried. Good luck proving any point you tried to make.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join