It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat Earth Believers, I would like to hear your ideas.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I appreciate that you do not share their beliefs, but please refrain from casting aspersions in this thread. I just want to hear the beliefs and evidence behind the theory, not attacks against the believers.
Thanks

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I am not a believer in flat earth, but in order for it to be true, you must dismiss all of NASA and things like this:

www.howitworksdaily.com...

Plus pictures of the Earth (like we just saw from the Pluto space ship) must all be fake as well.

It's my belief that the flat earth theory became a reality by accident. A debate was had where one person picked the side of "flat earth" and was able to win the debate using superior skills. (all while not actually believing the theory himself) I cannot remember where I saw it, but it was quite a few years ago. Oh, and I saw it on the internet, so .......must be true.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I get that. And I'm not looking to attack the credibility of any evidence that someone cares to share. I just want to know what the evidence is.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm curious aswell, I only read once about a modern flat-earther so I have no background about it.
Honestly I doubt I would be able to believe it, but as long as there is only unfalsiable evidence it would be an intresting read.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: starababa

The point is that you cannot change anything without some level of understanding first.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Well, the theory was predominant until around 600 BC. Then new observations and technological advances began to allow us to rethink the nature of the planet.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Mastronaut

My interest isn't in believing it or disbelieving it, personally. I am just asking why other people believe it.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: Mastronaut

My interest isn't in believing it or disbelieving it, personally. I am just asking why other people believe it.

I probably used the wrong therm "believe", in the sense that I can't imagine any made-up physical theory that can justify a flat-earth and only rely on unfalsifiable evidence.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think any facts that are based on a premise of "if", is going to have its doubters.

Many of us are taking a wait and see attitude. I don't have to believe one way or the other, until it changes how I wish to function in this world.

Personally, I think we are living in an aquarium that is being passed down over the generations of God children. We are presently out of favor, and we have to wait until we become of interest again or is passed on to another God child.

Let's hope for a girl child. While they can be a little heavy handed, they are more attentive. They seem to place more attention towards our future, and are often more nurturing and patient.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

"Maybe it all about perspective" We can observe and make note of measurements and see if the perspective is true . Istanbul Turkey is about 50km wide looking from the water . Seeing the curve of the earth can be determined by it's diameter we can expect to see the curve at a distance . upload.wikimedia.org...

The buildings would not look parallel to each others over the distance but would run perpendicular to the level plane they were sitting on in order to be plumb .The Chinese are upside down compared to us in North America on the Globe .
edit on 21-7-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

So, are you presenting this as evidence for or against the theory?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I guess we all look at life with different glasses .Sometimes we can see what we want to see and not see what is in front of our eyes .Sometimes we can be convinced to see things that are not real . Use your own mind and eyes to figure it out for your self or pick the one you are more comfortable with . The curve of the earth can be known mathematically so do the math and see what it tells you ,you can and cannot see .

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

My brother is a diehard flat-earther. After almost a year of hearing him talk about it, I reluctantly broke down and watched a few of the videos.

If nothing else, its definitely an entertaining subject.

I think the only way I'll change his mind is to fly him over the south pole because he thinks Antarctica is a circular ice wall that contains our oceans and continents.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

A true believing FEer would not get into a plane with you . Do the math and factor in the curve and determine how high something has to be in order to see it at distance . It's not rocket science and doesn't require a plane trip .Use water because water is the best level we can use .

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
For your information...

Isaiah 40:22 It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to live in;

As you can see the old israelites were also not sure if the earth was a sphere or a round flat piece of dirt we all live our lives on.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Very elegant response, and if you don't want to reveal which side of the issue you're on, I can appreciate that. But it didn't answer my question.
Still, thanks for contributing. And please continue to do so.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I have seen it described that way on pretty much every flat earth map. But why would you want to change his mind?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

I have seen several quotes from the Old Testament /Torah that seem to describe the earth as flat. But they are, to varying degrees, all still vague about it. There isn't one that I'm aware of that clearly says "the Earth is a flat disc".

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I really hope this thread doesn't fizzle out this quickly. I haven't really gotten any feedback on the topic yet.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
I really hope this thread doesn't fizzle out this quickly. I haven't really gotten any feedback on the topic yet.

OK Pfishy, I'll help you keep the thread alive. I enjoy the flat earth theory. I do not beLIEve it, but there are still arguments I haven't been able to debunk yet.

Flight Routes in Southern Hemisphere - Never shows direct flights from say South Africa to Austrailia, or Austrialla to Chile. Routes don't seem to make sense on globe earth model, but do on a flight earth map.
www.flightradar24.com...

Antartica Mystery - For an area that is most likely full of resources to make our life better, it's under treaty and pretty hands off.

No real convincing photo's of our globe earth. Yes even with the brand new one this week. After decades in space, we should have thousands of true photos of our earth as a globe. When doing a Google search, the majority of "photos" are illustrations or photo composites. Even NASA s site has only a limited amount of photos in low resolution. While were at it, the latest photo released this week is from a satellite a million miles away, while our moon is only 238,900 miles away. Why not take a photo of the two heavenly body's together. That would shut up the Flat Earthers once and for all.

Beyond that are the other questions of curvature, water always being level, etc, etc. Flat Earth is great fun and an interesting thought experiment. I like to question everything and there are lots of fun things to consider in this debate. And I enjoy the fighting between the Flat Earthers and the Globe Earthers on Youtube. It's like mental Professional Wrestling.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join