It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Threatens Sweden With Military 'Consequences' If It Joins NATO Alliance, Report Says

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I'm not.. Its further confirmation that everything Putin is complaining about is a direct result of his own actions.

And it is amazing that some can't see this mindset from Russia is not healthy for anyone.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Russia has about 16th the population of NATO, and considerably less GDP and industry - this is not WW1 or WW2 when Russia had the massive population.

Russia also has allies which can help account for manpower and economic weight. Russia's allies know that if the RusLand is busted, then they will be the next on the chopping block.

Foolish west needs to spend resources in finding out the Jihadist killers within its populations rather then overbudgeting the "cookie handouts" in the foreign lands.

Name one Russian ally that would help them fight a war?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: defiythelie

Russia has about 16th the population of NATO, and considerably less GDP and industry - this is not WW1 or WW2 when Russia had the massive population.

Russia also has allies which can help account for manpower and economic weight. Russia's allies know that if the RusLand is busted, then they will be the next on the chopping block.

Foolish west needs to spend resources in finding out the Jihadist killers within its populations rather then overbudgeting the "cookie handouts" in the foreign lands.

War with who?

D0

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

It is pretty funny, isn't it?

Russia invades a country, it's potentially guilty of shooting down a passenger jet murdering almost 300 innocent people, it threatens several former Soviet states, starts a process to try to deem their independence from for former Soviet Union "illegal", and then tells Sweden that it faces "military consequences" if it joins NATO, and Russia does all of this while saying it's "not a threat", and while complaining about "unfair" defenses in Europe it deems to be in response to it...

Either Russia has a schizophrenic disorder, or Putin is entirely incapable of getting all members of his government on the same page with international relations.

It's clear with statements like this that Russia is most certainly a threat, and Sweden would be right to seek defense against it, as are all other nations facing the threat from Putin.

Russia is the equivalent of the drunk guy a the bar who starts a brawl and then gets into a fight with the doorman for being kicked out "unfairly".

If Russia doesn't want its neighbours seeking a defense against it, maybe it should stop threatening and attacking its neighbours?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

If Russia doesn't want its neighbours seeking a defense against it, maybe it should stop threatening and attacking its neighbours?

It goes farther back than Russia threatening former SSR's. People seem to ignore the fact those former SSR's were occupied for over 50 years before the USSR collapsed and they regained their freedom.

The Russians, for whatever reason, cannot seem to comprehend that they ARE the reason these former SSR's joined NATO / EU.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkorange

originally posted by: defiythelie

War with who?

D0

Anyone. In fact, it is more likely to go to war with the countries it claims are its allies! China? There are thousands of miles of border that have never really been setlled on and a growing Chinese population in Siberia. Iran? Iran has much more in common with the Central Asian Republics than Russia does. It is no secret that Tehran would like to make the Caspian a Shiíte lake. Venezuela? Ha! Heck, they just lost Cuba....

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
Why is Sweden going to join NATO anyway?? They have always tried to maintain their neutral stance in the internal community.

When you're being directly threatened by a neighbor, you respond to that threat, as your people demand that you do.

The Russian threats come after the release of a nationwide poll in May that found that 1 in 3 Swedes support the country joining the NATO defense alliance, a sharp increase from previous years.

In September 2014, two Russian fighter jets allegedly entered Swedish air space. They were the same type —Sukhoi Su-24 attack aircraft — as those that buzzed the US destroyer at the end of May

The following month, the Swedish military released conclusive evidence that a foreign submarine had been spotted in Swedish waters. The military was unable to conclusively determine where it came from.

In March, Sweden decided to remilitarize the island of Gotland off the southwest coast of the country in the Baltic Sea. The decision to deploy around 150 troops to the island came as the Baltic nation of Estonia expressed major concerns about the island's vulnerability.

source

Again, if Russia really wants to claim that it's not at all a threat to other nations and they have no reason at all to want to increase their national security against the threat of attack or invasion, Russia might want to prove this by, y'know, NOT threatening and invading other countries.

It's impossible for Russia to continue to claim that it's not at all a threat to others while actively showing that it is in fact a significant threat to others.
edit on 27-7-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Laxus
a reply to: DJW001

Ohh Please, enlighten me... Before you i will just say, i speak Russian, i have followed the whole thing on both Russian and Ukrainian channes and still do daily, i have lived in Odessa in the past and have relatives there and been to Ukraine in general and I have friends who have families in both eastern and western. Most of you people who try to act smart on this forum after reading a few bbc news , puts me off so much with the luck on knowledge and insight into the whole thing that i lose interest in even engaging into any debate.

So really, you're just saying "the Russian propaganda i swallow on a daily basis by the highly controlled pro-Kremlin press is all I will ever listen to, and every journalist from every other country all around the world is absolutely lying!"

Right, gotcha.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
It goes farther back than Russia threatening former SSR's. People seem to ignore the fact those former SSR's were occupied for over 50 years before the USSR collapsed and they regained their freedom.

Of course you're right, but I prefer to keep things as simple as possible to try to stymie the constant degradation of threads like this into a tit-for-tat trawl through history

You know how it goes, these threads usually resort to... "but the USA did this in 1943", "yeah, but China did this in 1892", "yeah, but Britain did this in 1798!"

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Of course you are right.. my bad.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Russia is not facing any Jihadist problems otherwise there would be several attacks every now and then.

Uhm, there are and have been several attacks

The terrorist attack at the Moscow airport on Jan. 24 was horrific, murdering dozens of innocent civilians. It is probably linked to Chechnya or the surrounding areas in the Caucasus, from which so many such attacks have emanated. Russia has been the site of the largest number of serious terrorist attacks over the past decade (excluding Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq, which are really war zones).

Time Magazine, 2011

Here's a short wiki list: en.wikipedia.org...

Google "Moscow Theater Hostages" or "Beslan School" if you're only interested in the higher body counts.

Saying that Russia faces no jihadist problem is a special kind of willful ignorance.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

ISIS has also threatened Russia for its support of Assad. There is an estimate of at least 2k Russian citizens going to the ME to fight for ISIS.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I can't believe Russia has gotten so damn almighty it thinks it can run around the globe and start telling other countries what they can/should and can't/shouldn't do. Next they'll probably help civilians overthrow their own governments so new puppet masters can be placed and Russia will be able to control their oil....or something like that.

This is so Deja vu. The only thing different is the name of the country.

posted on Jul, 27 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

a reply to: MrSpad

Russia is not facing any Jihadist problems otherwise there would be several attacks every now and then.

Have you forgotten Chechnya??

Many Chechyns haven't.....and there's plenty going on all over the place.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

a reply to: MrSpad

Have you forgotten Chechnya??

Many Chechyns haven't.....and there's plenty going on all over the place.

Be fair... a lot of those terror attacks were FSB false flags!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join