It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out Of Place Cow Under The Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Does anyone recall this strange story from the late 1980s? Where a cow was spotted underwater in the ocean, out in the middle of nowhere? I am looking for more information but I cannot find it. Anyway, its a very interesting story and I vaguely remember it. I do know that the AP reported it and it was in newspapers worldwide at the time.

Marine Scientists Find A Sunken Cow

SITKA, ALASKA SITKA, Alaska (AP) _ Scientists counting fish from a submarine made a bizarre find deep below the ocean surface: a sunken cow.
Tory O'Connell, a biologist with the state Department of Fish and Game, said she and the pilot of the two-seat submarine saw the carcass for several seconds as they cruised about 20 miles west of Baranof Island, 690 feet under the sea.
The Sitka Sentinel sent a reporter to view the videotape the scientists made of the scene, and he reported Friday that the object did look like a cow. A Holstein, to be exact.
On the tape, O'Connell can be heard counting off fish as the submarine cruises along the ocean floor at 690 feet, the newspaper reported.
''What the hell is that?'' pilot Don Slater asks as the object comes into view. ''It's a cow,'' he concludes.
The researchers did not offer theories for how the cow ended up on the ocean floor. Its condition indicated it hadn't been there for long, O'Connell said.

edit on 20-7-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I DID discover this just now!

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Anyone remember aliens beam up cows, mutilating them, dropping em off ..

Maybe this one had a bad case of miss-target... by miles haha!

RIP submerged cow, you are an idol of your kind

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Not all that odd. Livestock gets shipped by sea fairly regularly, and if an animal dies in transit, it's a health hazard to keep on board. So the most obvious solution is usually the one that gets used, and results in a dead cow at the bottom of the sea. Now, if they found a live Holstein walking around down there, you might have a real mystery on your hands...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There are lots of cows shipped around through live meat exports. While there have been some improvements over the years with these journeys, I am sure it would not be the first time one fell of the boat.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Maybe if we knew what breed it was that would help?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm surprised it wasn't eat up by crabs.

Whether you realize it or not, those delicious crabs are big sea bugs. They eat anything and everything (even other dead crabs). They're the sea floor's little cleaning crew...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
my post? It is gone
edit on 20-7-2015 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadeWolf

id say your answer is the most logical and rational, only theory i had was crab fishermen are known for their pranks so it could have been something they did to troll the people doing the fish study

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The strange thing is that they saw the cow. What are the chances that a cow that may have been dumped off a ship would be seen by that sub. It is a big ocean.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadeWolf
Not all that odd. Livestock gets shipped by sea fairly regularly, and if an animal dies in transit, it's a health hazard to keep on board. So the most obvious solution is usually the one that gets used, and results in a dead cow at the bottom of the sea. Now, if they found a live Holstein walking around down there, you might have a real mystery on your hands...

The longer report said it looked like it was in fresh condition... 700 feet down and scores of miles from the mainland. The pressure should have crushed it, if it had been that deep for very long. See the longer details. Not to mention, crabs and other types of Ocean life would have eaten it up beyond recognition if it was down there long. In fact, it was in so good condition that it was identified as a Holstein. Holsteins are not commonly shipped across the North Pacific either. Beef cattle are, but milk cattle aren't. Holsteins are not in demand in Asia, and they aren't shipped to North America from Asia. Particularly to or from that region of Alaska.

Most Asians are lactose intolerant.

See: Lactose Intolerance by Ethnicity and Region
edit on 21-7-2015 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: taoistguy
Maybe if we knew what breed it was that would help?

Did you read the first 2 posts? it clearly states it was a Holstein cow, they are milk cows.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

Jacques Cowsteau......

Oh come on, somebody had to go there....

new topics

top topics

join