It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The 1953 Unsolved Case of Two Men who Vanished while Looking for a UFO

page: 1

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:19 PM
Karl Hunrath and his friend Wilbur Wilkinson were two electrical engineers deeply interested in UFOs. Hunrath claimed that he had been communicating with an extraterrestrial race called the Maserians by radio. He told Wilkinson that a Maserian UFO had recently landed in the area, and that he could show Wilkinson where it was. They believed that the UFO would take them to Maser, the home planet of the Maserians.

On November 11, 1953, they paid for an hour's rental of a small plane from a Los Angeles airport. They never submitted a flight plan, so the airport had no idea what their true intentions were. Needless to say, Hunrath and Wilkinson didn't come back after their hour was up. In fact, they never came back. Ever. Neither Hunrath or Wilkinson were ever seen again, and their plane has never been recovered either.

While many in the UFO community in Los Angeles believed that the two men really did meet and leave the planet with a Maserian, the authorities were more skeptical. Hunrath was an inexperienced pilot, and he was unfamiliar with the area, which included a very difficult mountain range. The men only had three hours of fuel, so they couldn't possibly have gone far. There's a theory that they crashed into the mountains, or a lake, or some other remote area, but their bodies or pieces of wreckage from the plane have never been found. Then there was the rumor that they disappeared to start new lives elsewhere, like in Mexico or England. A man calling himself "Karl" (Hunrath's first name) posted an ad in the personal section of Los Angeles Time in 1954, saying "Worried telepathists: This does it for you. Please prove my well being by writing of contacts you may recall."

So what do you guys think? Any ideas about what happened? And has anybody heard of the Maserians before? I can't really find anything more about them on Google.

There's a blog here with more information:

And then an account in a book by 1950s UFO researcher George Hunt Williamson:

And a scan of a tabloid paper from the time: ase-24-638.jpg?cb=1386289079
edit on 8/29/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:05 PM
Never heard a thing about this story. Interesting if true.Of course the men could have just decided to disappear for whatever reasons or crashed into the ocean without a trace.

The link to the tabloid newspaper does not work in the OP but I've managed to work it out and here it is below.

I think that saying it's aliens from Maser is a huge leap of logic with the evidence so far presented.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:14 PM
a reply to: Menocchio

This might be a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyway. Did they have black boxes on planes back then?

I have never heard this story either..

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:21 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this. ..

The gentleman was not in communication with extraterrestrials. And never seen a spaceship land.

He was probably in contact with another human faction that had manipulation in intention.

And were kidnapped.

. . . . .

Ya I'm going with this

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:35 PM
his left eye states that he is a liar and a weirdo

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:44 PM
a reply to: Menocchio

Thank you Op for a rather curious and interesting thread. I would imagine that correlation with any supposed local ufo sightings or anomalous radar/airport reports would help either validate or invalidate the story.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:53 PM
a reply to: visitedbythem

Explain, please. Not being sarcastic, really would like to know what you mean by that. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:03 PM
You dont see it? Look at his face Bro. Look at his eyes. There is something else there. I cant explain it any further.I feel it. I see something

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:19 PM
I must be going crazy too, but I see some crop circles in those "Doodles", and I dont believe in ET crop circles???

Why would a 38yo draw "Alien" symbols on his Wall at home.....bizzare...

Why did Karl, have contact with the Maserians from the planet Maserati, on his modified radio where he worked at a radio manfacturer in 1953, with his friend Wilbur, and they showed Karl their flying saucer, in California.???

Why did Edwin, meet his friend Valdar, where they both worked at a radio manufacturer, and then made contact with Valdar and the Koldasians from the planet Koldas, via a home modified radio in 1959, where they showed Edwin their flying saucer in Durban South Africa??

Do these events, seem similar to people or are they completely fictitious, and crazy stories?

Curiouser and curiouser.
edit on 20-7-2015 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 07:39 PM
And even more strange.... We read about Maseratis and Kardashians all the time now

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:05 PM
The LA area is fraught with dangers for small planes. Perhaps they made an attempt to land at Catalina Island an didn't make it, or hit a mountain somewhere to the east. As a pilot I know if you don't do your homework there is an adventure in ever flight,

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:55 PM
a reply to: visitedbythem

I agree, his eyes are strange. Looks like he has the crazy stare. Not a Bro though. I'm a Mama....a Kentucky mama. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:19 PM
They might be stole the plane. I saw videos of aliens on youtube.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:00 AM
According to the newspaper article his wife says her husband told her the Masers were planning to invade Earth. Well, we all know that didn't happen so I have to assume all of his information was gibberish and schizophrenic in nature. Likely crashed into a mountain and buried in snow.

(post by okantonio removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics