It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstate 10 washes out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Record storms hitting the California/Arizona area have resulted in what will be a prolonged closure of the I-10 corridor near the state line.

On Sunday a bridge over the Tex Wash, on the eastbound side of the interstate collapsed as a result of flooding in the area. After collapsing it struck the bridge over the neighboring West bound side of the road. The road in the area has also been undermined as a result of the flooding. The driver of a pickup was injured in the collapse, with non like threatening injuries.

Crews were supposed to start damage assessment today, but word is that it will be an indefinite closure.

www.nbclosangeles.com...

www.weather.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
In 1991, while my way to a mountain bike race, above palm springs, I watched a flash flood wash out a section of I 10 100 yards in front of us, and a few minutes later about 1/4 mile behind. Luckily we were on a high spot a mile or so from PS, but were we stuck on freeway about 6 hrs.
And to make matters worse, since we didn't check in to our motel by 9 pm they canceled our reservation.
We could even see our motel from where we were stuck.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

A few months ago we went up 15 as the bridge they were building melted. They were welding in high winds and it went up in flames and all the rebar weakened and it collapsed across the interstate.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

i petty those poor folks, in the Pensacola Fl area we had to deal with both sides of I-10 being washed away when ivan came through.
it took 3 years for both sides to be open. during that time there was only one side open with just one lane east and west.

edit on 20-7-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I live along the I-10 corridor in between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. It is the southernmost trans-continental interstate that is vital for commerce for the southern U.S. If not the entire U.S. It reaches from Jacksonville to Santa Monica. Luckily they built interstate 12 north of New Orleans that bypasses the quagmire of N.O. And goes from Mandeville to Baton Rouge then rejoins I-10. That helped after Katrina.

Any interruption of commerce can screw up our economy on a micro scale that can turn Macro pretty quick. The Butterfly Effect as you will. All caused by nervous traders on Wall Street no doubt.
edit on 20-7-2015 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Spader

I HATE running 10 so much. Between the ridiculous distance through Texas, and the stretches that will knock fillings out by the time you're done with it you're so frustrated it's not funny.

From a purely economic standpoint it's a great road. The reality is that it's in such piss poor condition that it isn't even funny.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

You would have thought, that with the history of roads being washed away during strong storm winds, that the economically vital nature of infrastructural updates there, would have seen them implemented to the degree where a washout became a physical impossibility.

Government... Professional slackers.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
First thing that came to mind was that if an emergency and evacuation was needed, this would be the worst case scenario.

Glad to see acknowledgement on ATS of this bizarre situation.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

California is an idiotic state to begin with. They're so broke they can't improve infrastructure, but they just spent almost $25,000 to track down water theft.

This bridge was apparently on the insufficient but structurally sound list so replacement/repair would be a very low priority.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

How can it ever have been read as structurally sound, if water, a liquid which most road surfaces come into fairly significant contact with, could take it down?

This is precisely as barmy as having a square, wood beamed building blown away in a tornado, only to build a brand new house just like it on the same spot, and expect different results next time a twister comes through!

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Because they've been in a major drought for several years, so there was no water to come into contact with. Since it wasn't raining it would last awhile longer, or something along those lines.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I HATE running 10 so much. Between the ridiculous distance through Texas, and the stretches that will knock fillings out by the time you're done with it you're so frustrated it's not funny.

From a purely economic standpoint it's a great road. The reality is that it's in such piss poor condition that it isn't even funny.

You are so right. I played summer ball in San Diego after my freshman year. I loved San Diego, HATED the drive from Texas to the coast. Which was basically the whoIe way from Baton Rouge. I was hoping that I would get abducted. From ANYTIHING. U.F.O.., Bigfoot, Wherewolves, Amazon warriors, the bus that carried the Bikinni swimsuit models, ANYTHING.
I got the Dentist. HA!

edit on 20-7-2015 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

That stretch right after the 18 mile bridge through the Bayou, you better have everything strapped down, including your brain, or you're coming out of there with a concussion it feels life.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I 10 .... Oh how I hate that road... Used to drive it all the time between.... I want to say it was I 49 in Louisiana to the vicinity of I 75 in Florida... Gawd awful stretch of nothing followed nothing... With stretches of bad road followed by worse.

Oh and can't forget the nearly 20 of years of road work in the panhandle of Florida.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The I-10 bridge earned A rating last year..

The bridge had a "sufficiency rating" of 91.5 out of 100, higher than dozens of other interstate bridges, according to the Federal Highway Administration. Yet as recently as 2013, the bridge was listed as "functionally obsolete" — inadequate for its task, but not unsafe and without known structural problems that needed to be fixed. The classification often means that a bridge is either too small or poorly suited for modern-day traffic

CalTrans, owns and maintains the bridge. And they said they were investigating how a highly-rated bridge failed, so spectacularly.

Just throwing that up, thanks for the thread!

Source

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I thought of that event as I watched our news here about the I-10. That must have been horrid to deal with.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: C21H30O2I

Weight of traffic, heavily loaded trucks along with poorly maintained bridge. The drought and damaged pilings...That's how. CalTrans is not credible when it comes to facts. Or maintanence.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

i hated it, sometimes during the summer traffic would be backed up for five miles on either side waiting to go across.
there was Hwy 90, but even during part of that time it was damaged too, and some work was going on. 90 on a good day is bumper to bumper during rush hour, so you can imagine what it was like.

there was one other way to go out on Quintette Rd but that added about 20 to 45 mins depending on where you were going or what time it was.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Better hope that I-10 does not become a critical route for any reason in the near future. Having a section of it washed out would throw a monkey wrench into things.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: C21H30O2I

Weight of traffic, heavily loaded trucks along with poorly maintained bridge. The drought and damaged pilings...That's how. CalTrans is not credible when it comes to facts. Or maintanence.

I agree with an average of 20,000 + cars per day and 119 obsolete bridges and 79 structurally deficient bridges in Riverside... The infrastructure of the US in a whole needs an overhaul...What to do?

new topics

<<   2 >>

join