It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avro Vulcan XH558 - RIAT 2015 - Did she, didn't she?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Have a look at this
- these aren't my video's but they capture this perfectly

- there is no camera trickery here, I saw this with my own eyes from centre flight line - thats a 55 year old jet bomber going inverted in her last year of flight

The pilot was in a fiesty mood , as was the plane - as you can see from the take off and subsequent display - and she gives a beautiful howl at 8:55 here

I'm gonna miss this old lady when she retires later this year.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: neformorestill looks really modern. Nice vids

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It is such a shame that we will never see her fly again.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
That reminds me of how loud the B1 is.

When they were doing air shows here in south florida the B1 would stay at Opa Locka Airport.

On monday when all the military aircraft head home. All the planes would take off and come around again to buzz the tower.

That B1 was loud as hell flying over the runway.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Having seen both the B1 and Vulcan (and just about everything else potentially as loud apart from a Mig 25 and or Tu-160 come to think of it ) I can tell you that Vulcan is second only to the Blackbird in terms of jet noise when she is fully cranked up. And its a very close second.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

There has been a Vulcan bomber at Southend Airport, my local, as it were, for some years, mostly just sitting on the Tarmac, and getting some sun (rain). Ever since I was a child, I have thought the Vulcan to be one of the most beautiful delta wing airframes I have ever laid eyes on. I have seen the Vulcan fly a few times, back in the day when there was an air show in my town every year, an event which has been cancelled the last few years.

The noise, the mind buggering, ribcage violating, blood vessel agitating, bowel churning noise of her passing overhead is something that no one can possibly imagine, without having been present to witness it. Reminds me of an ex of mine in that manner to be honest.

God... I am terrible.

In any case, its a great shame that this will be her last flying year, since there are few things as majestic and impressive as seeing that beast of an aircraft in the air. Godspeed old stick, you were a lady of rare refinement and class...mouth like a foghorn though!

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This was the lady over my town in 2013 at the foot of the Mournes, and she was here last year as well.

TrueBrit, there is little that can describe that sound, it goes through every part of the body, and once the plane has passed..you hear nothing, and yes, a beautiful aircraft.
edit on 20-7-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Thks for that video!
Have seen plenty of pics from the RIAT - which I had completely forgotten was on (even though I had heard a few miltary aircraft flying over the past few days) but not videos. Did get to see the Osprey in flight, heading west over Evesham this afternoon though
First time I have seen it.

The Vulcan is the only jet aircraft to bring up goosebumps in the way a Spitfire or lancaster does, so sad we will not see it fly again ...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

We have one about half a mile from my house. This is it on Google Maps:

ETA: Its at the North East Aircraft Museum, Sunderland. It even featured in an episode of Most Haunted.

edit on -05:0002America/Chicago2015721xRAmerica/Chicagob by PheonixReborn because: (no reason given)

edit on -05:0002America/Chicago2015726xRAmerica/Chicagob by PheonixReborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Agreed in full.

a reply to: PheonixReborn

Just a half mile? How in the world do you get any work done? I could look at that thing till my eyeballs rotted out!
edit on 20-7-2015 by TrueBrit because: Corrected reply tag error

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I think most of you air enthousiasts will know this docu, but i will share in anyway :

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Yes i was there also! the most beautiful magnificent aircraft second (just) only to concorde i am developing a deep hatred for the "technical authority's" that are withdrawing support for her thus grounding the Vulcan forever.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: PheonixReborn

Is that a Meteor parked on the other side of that hangar?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Yes, there's also a Dehavilland Vampire. Dehavilland is actually my middle name as my father worked on them for the RAF during his national service. Boy did I get some stick at school!

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
What a beautiful aircraft . My Dad had a picture of him and his mates standing for a group photograph in front of a Vulcan aircraft.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This is what happens when you leave a Vulcan out in the snow.

edit on -05:0005America/Chicago2015711xRAmerica/Chicagob by PheonixReborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I was walking around one of our euro fighter suppliers repair facility about 14 years ago and there in a rack of parts were 2 clearly marked Vulcsn.

I stopped and said not the Vulcan?

He said yeah we built them X years ago and have the jigs and drawings, we are refurbishing them for the Vulcan flight - free I might add!

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The Vulcan I think was the epitome of British cold war engineering. How such a beautiful moth could also instil such fear is both a wonder and a pity.
As a sometime resident of military bases I thank you for sharing OP.
S&F of course.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
snip

i have seen the vulcan a few times, she is a big beautiful noisy bird, she has the most beautiful lines of any aircraft i have seen and has that look that she will annialate you if you get on the wrong side of her, i hope she is saved at the last hour, i want to see her again roaring, the last time i seen her she flew overhead unexpectedly and it sounded like the sky was tearing. I will forever love the sound she makes.

edit on Sun Sep 20 2015 by Jbird because: removed corrupted link

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I was there on Sunday I missed the upside down bit. Got a nice shot though with the red arrows

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join