It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashley Madison, infamous infidelity website, target of data hack

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
The honorable thing to do is to end the marriage so you can move on with someone else. The end of the marriage can (and probably should) be blamed on both parties. Cheating can only be blamed on the cheater.

I agree you should end it and move on but that is not the debate we are having which revolves around the illegality of releasing people's private information and legal actions via hacking.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Lots of bitter emotions flying around in here.

*ducks book being thrown* Geeze, I take it there's been a few people cheated on in this discussion?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
No it's still an opinion masked as a study...

To file in those journals you need statistical evidence.

Only possible way to prove it would be to read the cheaters mind..

Why? Someone cannot have a change of heart and want to salvage their relationship through an honest dialogue with their partner and a therapist? If that were the case my very good friend would be broke as she does this every day for a living.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Isurrender73
Cheating IS A CRIME...

Is sunbathing a crime? I demonstrated its very possible destructive outcome.

What happened to "that's a bad analogy"???

You cannot compare the emotional destruction of some else to your own choices of what to do with your body in sunlight...
That's bull.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

My mother is enough proof that it was and is a crime.

Sorry, your personal familial anecdotes count as doodley squat in relation to the law.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
It is a crime

Although adultery is a misdemeanor in most of the states with laws against it, some — including Michigan and Wisconsin — categorize the offense as a felony. Punishments vary widely by state. In Maryland, the penalty is a paltry $10 fine.Apr 17, 2014

Therefore, Ashley Madison is a website facilitating a service for people to commit criminal, sometimes felonious acts. I would like to think this kind of weird # would be illegal to do as a business in some kind of vague part of the law, but unfortunately, you can have websites like this, wherever this one is hosted from at least.

A million sites facilitate cheating, but it isn't their reason for existing; they're just there for social networking. This site however, clearly demonstrates its purpose that it is a service for this type of crime to be committed more easily and readily among the willing criminals who wish to do so.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Lots of bitter emotions flying around in here.

*ducks book being thrown* Geeze, I take it there's been a few people cheated on in this discussion?

As have I, but that's not an excuse to go backward, and start legislating morality again. We're still trying to get laws off the books from that period in our history.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
What happened to "that's a bad analogy"???

That was the point, they are both bad analogies.

You cannot compare the emotional destruction of some else to your own choices of what to do with your body in sunlight...
That's bull.

Why? In the other posters opinion children raised by one parent are doomed to criminality. What if mommy roasts herself daily until she gets a carcinoma and drops dead? Arguementum ad absurdum.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Look, it's both people's fault.

If someone cheats on you, you obviously don't know them very well or communicate well enough to see there's a problem.

If you cheat on someone you obviously don't communicate well, or deal with confrontation easily.

It all comes down to communication, and not being AFRAID to confront the other person when they notice a problem. Sometimes two people shouldn't be together, and the sooner that gets established the better.

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I already started what you do to yourself is none of my business.

But when you hurt others, it is a crime. I don't care what the legality behind it states. I am intelligent enough to distinguish right from wrong. But apparently someone like you needs a government to tell you right from wrong, since you continue to ARGUE FOR CHEATING.

I never started hacking was ok. But you want me to accept that cheating is ok, because it is not in the law books.

The law books need to be updated because SCIENCE agrees with me, not you.

edit on 20-7-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

link   

The "law" is meaningless to me, honestly. There are two laws, one for folks who can afford to hire attorneys and one for people who can't, the least reliable form of evidence in the universe (eyewitness testimony) is still king in the courtroom, lawyers and legislators code everything in a "thieves cant" designed to obscure justice unless one relies on their "expertise" as gatekeepers for the legal system, and our own government justifies a trillion dollar intelligence apparatus to spy on everyone else to "protect us" from threats they themselves often create.

Sorry -- I'm too cynical to slobber on the knob of "law." I don't care what happens to AM or anyone else if their function is to lie, deceive and enable others to do so. No matter how many BS laws they hide behind to do so.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
Although adultery is a misdemeanor in most of the states with laws against it, some — including Michigan and Wisconsin — categorize the offense as a felony.

Then it is up to each state to prosecute the criminals based on their respective laws, however information obtained illegally, such as in this circumstance, are not admissible.

link   

The why is simple...

Your claim is that it's the typical reason...

I'm challenging that factoid with a counter argument that it's all based on the testimony of known cheaters...

And in this case I'll apply Ockham's Razor.

link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

My guess? Ashley Madison will not shut down. If records are released, they'll claim to do "More security" and tell the future users not to worry because "Now it's fixed" at least until the next hole.

From the reports I have read, they will not shut down, corporations always try to salvage their business no matter what. However, I believe many subscribers will abandon ship and future enrolment numbers will dwindle. I could be wrong, tho.

Lesson is the same one we keep learning in society: "If you want something to stay private than KEEP IT PRIVATE!"

I agree. That is where the story becomes poetic. The subscribers went there for privacy and secrecy because they were unable to participate in that certain lifestyle through their own volition and resources or just didn't have the time to do all that mating ritual song and dance stuff. Those who are able to "pick up" without the use of websites such as Ashley Madison and used the sight for extra credits might learn to not be so greedy in the future.

There are 37 million people out there at this very moment sweating bullets....

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Anyone who uses this site to CHEAT on their partner deserves to get caught! I find this site disgusting.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

But apparently someone like you needs a government to tell you right from wrong, since you continue to ARGUE FOR CHEATING.

I am not arguing for cheating, I think it is reprehensible, I am arguing that it is not okay to illegally expose cheaters because it offends YOUR, or anyone else's, morality. Frankly, the only people who are not seeing that are either being purposefully obtuse or have a major reading comprehension issue.

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: kaylaluv
The honorable thing to do is to end the marriage so you can move on with someone else. The end of the marriage can (and probably should) be blamed on both parties. Cheating can only be blamed on the cheater.

I agree you should end it and move on but that is not the debate we are having which revolves around the illegality of releasing people's private information and legal actions via hacking.

LOL, so you lost this side argument and you want to move on. No problem.

Regarding the legalities of the situation, no matter how I feel about infidelity, these customers were promised privacy by the company, and from a strictly legal standpoint, they deserve it. The hackers should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law if caught.

That's how I feel from an unemotional objective standpoint. From a personal standpoint, I hope the company goes out of business, and all the scumbag cheaters participating are too scared to ever participate in anything like it again.

link   
Seems ironic that the US government makes laws against hacking and takes a hard line toward it while engaging in the same action and other breaches of privacy.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
a reply to: Involutionist

Anyone who uses this site to CHEAT on their partner deserves to get caught! I find this site disgusting.

It's a really stupid way to cheat, as you leave digital breadcrumbs all over. As I mentioned, all your spouse or significant other would have to do is create a fake account and troll the site looking for you.

My friends have found their husbands and wives on dating sites before after creating a throw-away, fake profile on dating sites.

Going by the statistics, you're probably more likely to catch a male on one of these sites than a female. Typically, more men are caught cheating than women despite the fact that both genders cheat at roughly the same percentages. Women are much more discrete about their affairs.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I see, so it is okay for people who can afford an attorney to have people violate their rights and those who cannot are safe.

Makes total sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join