It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashley Madison, infamous infidelity website, target of data hack

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysticrecluse

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If an adult wants to piss away their relationship what the hell business is it of yours?

Sure go ahead and turn a blind eye to the problem like everyone else. "Oh they're throwing away potentially thousands of dollars from the wedding, wasting time and effort, and possibly destroying their wife's/husband's life. But it's ok, it's none of my business!"

Attitudes like this kind of get under my skin. Society breeds you to believe that you need not worry about anyone else. Their problem is their problem, and to an extent it's true, but it doesn't mean you have to be inhuman and turn a blind eye. Someone starts choking in a restaurant - "Too bad, not my problem!"
Oh yeah. I'd just sit there and do nothing if someone was choking in front of me because I don't care what two adults are doing in their respective (sometimes separate) bedrooms.

Do I care if someone cheats? If it's a friend, or relative, you bet. I'm concerned. I want to know why, what they plan to do, etc.

If it's a perfect stranger, why should I care if her husband is sleeping around? It's not my business.

Hey, Asuna, I was just making a point. A very rant-filled point because cheaters also get under my skin. Women have cheated on me more than I'd like to admit. Almost any other time I despise hackers, but this is one time that they are actually making people think twice before doing something immoral.

I just think that as a whole, people shouldn't be so eager to turn a blind eye. Yes, privacy is important, and people do need to deal with their own issues, but like you said...It's reason for concern (especially when it's about someone you know personally).

Am I foolish to care about people I don't know? I'm just sick of the state of the moral-less society. I'm kind of fed up with things, and this is one of the many issues that's super prevalent. At times, yeh, what do I care if they waste their money and time? It's not directly affecting me. Other times, I really do feel bad because I know what it feels like to be on the bad end of a cheating relationship.

Also, I wasn't intentionally directing my rant at AugustusMasonicus. It just came across that way. :/ He made a good point, I just think people shouldn't be so eager to turn a blind eye to issues.

D...D-Did you just call me ASUNA? I'm nothing like that princess peach wannabe stand-in wish-fulfillment piece of work!

Hnnnggghhh... Okay, calm down Railgun. It could have been an honest mistake...

I agree with you, less people need to be turning a blind eye to things. And I certainly wouldn't just stand idly by if someone I knew or was acquainted with was in trouble, or something. And I'd certainly stop to help even a complete stranger if there were something I could do to help them.

But matters of relationships are tricky business. I barely know how to navigate my OWN relationships, much less give advice or guidance on the matter of someone else's.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

a reply to: Sremmos80

Okay, I get the point - I'm sorry, I was wrong to go there, but I was only trying to make a point.

Although, what if the cheater causes depression though? Suicide? Someone might die in that scenario, no?

What if I had committed suicide because my ex was cheating on me? Does that mean the government should step in, send her to jail, and take away everyone's privacy, because I had a bad relationship, and I wasn't able to get past it?

Is it the governments job now to protect me from getting my feelings hurt? Where do we draw the line on government intervention? Where do we draw the line on the privacy of the individual? Do we really want a nanny state? Oh wait... seems we have a damn good start on one already, and a good portion of the population has given their consent.
edit on 7/20/2015 by Klassified because: consent. Not consensus

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Why have any laws? Are not all laws supposed to written based on a Moral Code?

Who decides what is moral or not? We each possess our own moral compass. Many have calibrated their compass to be in alignment for the greater good of all such as "Do unto others". Laws are man made. We have laws to curb certain behaviours of freewill. Laws don't prevent anything from happening, its just there to deal with the consequences of freewill that go against what society has agreed is immoral. Most people usually behave themselves regardless of laws...anyone who needs laws to keep them in check....should check themselves out.

The Law is the moral police. If you are not against something then you are for it, inadvertently or not.

Says who? And why?

It is my opinion that the website is a disgrace to humanity and the institution of Monogamous relatioships. It is that simple.

I agree. Yet, it is the very government (the ones who make the laws) that we pay taxes to that allows this business to operate legally....

Again:

Good question. Why do government allow this site to operate if such is the case?

You are more concerned with privacy over morality.

No, I'm not. I view both with equality. I started this thread because I simply found the story ironic and entertaining. Plain and simple.

Not the privacy one SHOULD have in thier own home, but the legalized profiting off of immorality in a public domain. I don't want to take my kids to the mall and have them see a booth for Ashley Madison. But you are ok with profiting off immorality, as long as no one infringers on your privacy, which according to the NSA you don't have anyway.

Again: I started this thread because I simply found the story ironic and entertaining.

I don't care if you don't believe in Monogamous relationships. If you don't believe in them it is as simple as not entering into one. No one ever needs to cheat, nor should anyone do so. So a website that supports such activities supports immorality

I'm single and free to mingle. However, if I ever find myself in a serious relationship, I will be loyal. I have never used Ashely Madison, that is for married people who want to cheat. I'm 28, and like to date. Tinder is more my cup of tea.

Profiting off immorality is wrong and should not be protected by law.

...and yet nations that set laws based on morality continue to wage wars and slaughter innocent millions. Governments allows tobacco to be sold....and we all know how moral that is, right?

Again: I started this thread because I simply found the story ironic, interesting and entertaining.

edit on 20-7-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Where do we draw the line on government intervention? Where do we draw the line on the privacy of the individual? Do we really want a nanny state? Oh wait... seems we have a damn good start on one already, and a good portion of the population has given their consent.

Unlike when you call for the Kool-Aid man, whose sugary ass eventually goes away, when you call for the G-Man they end up staying, infesting your life and affecting your privacy in perpetuity.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Can I go for the triple post?

All joking aside, I did not mean any disrespect (to you or anyone). And as I told ScientificRailgun, you made a good point in your initial post - I just went off more on the topic, and you got caught in the middle of it...

Regardless, please try to understand where I'm coming from. I just don't like the idea of cheaters, and the idea of a website that promotes it is just flat out dumb.

Also, regardless of what anyone would tell me to stick (and where), if I care about someone, I'm going to at least get involved enough to offer some bit of insight or something to try and help the situation. I'm one of the retarded breeds that care about strangers I guess.

I was only trying to make a point. I just went about it in a haphazard way.
(;一_一)
edit on 7/20/2015 by mysticrecluse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Where do we draw the line on government intervention? Where do we draw the line on the privacy of the individual? Do we really want a nanny state? Oh wait... seems we have a damn good start on one already, and a good portion of the population has given their consent.

Unlike when you call for the Kool-Aid man, whose sugary ass eventually goes away, when you call for the G-Man they end up staying, infesting your life and affecting your privacy in perpetuity.

We certainly have enough precedent to know that statement is true.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I had to answer this. I just think it is more important that a company that actually encourages, by extension, the breakdown of society be brought to a halt, than the privacy of those who have found themselves with the facility to cheat on their trusting loved ones is.
Go figure.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

The Law is the moral police. If you are not against something then you are for it, inadvertently or not.

It is my opinion that the website is a disgrace to humanity and the institution of Monogamous relatioships. It is that simple.

You are more concerned with privacy over morality.

Not the privacy one SHOULD have in thier own home, but the legalized profiting off of immorality in a public domain. I don't want to take my kids to the mall and have them see a booth for Ashley Madison. But you are ok with profiting off immorality, as long as no one infringers on your privacy, which according to the NSA you don't have anyway.

I don't care if you don't believe in Monogamous relationships. If you don't believe in them it is as simple as not entering into one. No one ever needs to cheat, nor should anyone do so. So a website that supports such activities supports immorality.

Profiting off immorality is wrong and should not be protected by law.

I'm sorry, I thought we lived in the US, not Saudi effing Arabia. You seriously think morality should be actively policed? Hell NO, not here. It doesn't work in theocratic countries, and it definitely won't work here, and will be met with heavy backlash. You cannot legislate morality.

You & your mother need to hit up counseling services, pronto. You're letting your own emotional & psychological shortcomings (inabilities to deal, move on, think rationally, etc) dictate what others do. That is wholly unacceptable.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Sorry, did not mean to dog pile. I posted a reply, since it was addressed to me, prior to checking if any others were made.

Regardless, please try to understand where I'm coming from. I just don't like the idea of cheaters, and the idea of a website that promotes it is just flat out dumb.

I think all of us have been clear in stating that we do not condone cheating. As for the site being 'dumb', they seem to make a decent amount of money, maybe 'personally offensive' might be a more apt choice considering the replies.

Also, regardless of what anyone would tell me to stick (and where), if I care about someone, I'm going to at least get involved enough to offer some bit of insight or something to try and help the situation. I'm one of the retarded breeds that care about strangers I guess.

Someone I care about is an altogether different set of circumstances. The hacktivists certainly did not care about the spouses of everyone they exposed.

(;一_一)

No worries, we are all good.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
I had to answer this. I just think it is more important that a company that actually encourages, by extension, the breakdown of society be brought to a halt, than the privacy of those who have found themselves with the facility to cheat on their trusting loved ones is.
Go figure.

You are entitled to your opinion but I do not ever condone breaching people's legally protected privacy by illegal means.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Perhaps therein lies the decline of society, who knows.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

D...D-Did you just call me ASUNA? ... It could have been an honest mistake...

Probably wasn't a mistake. But noted.

But matters of relationships are tricky business. I barely know how to navigate my OWN relationships, much less give advice or guidance on the matter of someone else's.

Very good point - I can't add anything here. Just...well said.

It just makes me mad... My ex of five years flew to "London" to meet up with a Pakistani guy she met online, cheated on me with him for the month, and then married him and blah. Only right before the marriage did she tell me what happened. It all happened a while ago now, but as you can see, I'm personally attached to the topic. It just got the better of me.

Edit to add:

Waaait a minute - Is that not Asuna? At a glance I thought that's who it was. That totally was an honest mistake then.
edit on 7/20/2015 by mysticrecluse because: edit to add digital characters that explain a thing

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

All joking aside, I did not mean any disrespect (to you or anyone). And as I told ScientificRailgun, you made a good point in your initial post - I just went off more on the topic, and you got caught in the middle of it...

(;一_一)
I don't think anyone likes cheaters, even cheaters themselves don't like being cheated ON. And I agree with you, the idea that a website is out there that actually FACILITATES cheaters and their behaviour is abhorrent to me. Though, they are legally permitted to operate that website if they operate it within the limits of the law. I hate everything that site stands for, but I'll defend to my last breath it's right to exist.

I also forgive you for calling me Asuna. And if you HAVE to call me something. Call me Mikoto. Or Railgun.

But not Asuna. I hates her.

edit on 20-7-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Go figure.

And where does it stop? Who decides what constitutes the "breakdown of society"? You? Me? Augustus? Atheists? Christians? Muslims? See how murky things are already getting? It isn't the business, however unethical it may be. The business model wouldn't exist if the clientele wasn't there to support them. Take the business away, and you still have the same "adulterous affairs" that have been going on since we started walking the earth.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Perhaps therein lies the decline of society, who knows.

My personal opinion is the decline of society is excess legislation. People need to come to the realization of what is right and wrong independently and not have the government force it down their throats since whatever government tries to limit always seems to find its own equilibrium regardless of government intervention.

edit on 20-7-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

And where does it stop? Who decides what constitutes the "breakdown of society"? You? Me? Augustus? Atheists? Christians? Muslims?

Of course it would be me. Us Masons like to run stuff.

I would authorize massive Single Malt Scotch disbursements to stem the affects of the societal breakdown.

Plus I would have Railgun run around in an anime costume.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

D...D-Did you just call me ASUNA? ... It could have been an honest mistake...

Probably wasn't a mistake. But noted.

Very good point - I can't add anything here. Just...well said.

It just makes me mad... My ex of five years flew to "London" to meet up with a Pakistani guy she met online, cheated on me with him for the month, and then married him and blah. Only right before the marriage did she tell me what happened. It all happened a while ago now, but as you can see, I'm personally attached to the topic. It just got the better of me.
I understand. I was cheated on once too. Granted, we hadn't been together for five year or anything, only a few months. It still hurt. Really badly, actually. I felt worthless and like I wasn't good enough for him to be sleeping around with some short-skirted floozy that gave him puppy eyes. F***king kouhais.

I digress. There's not a lot people I know that haven't been affected in some way by cheaters. Unless someone gets lucky to land the "one" on the first try that stays loyal their whole lives, chances are they'll get cheated on, or cheat themselves at some point in their lives.

What defines us as people is how we move on from those heartbreaks. If your heartbreak is still fresh, I'm very sorry. It's hard to console someone who has been hurt so badly, so recently.

I wish you the best. Just don't call me Asuna. I want to battle her. To the death. A Death Battle. Is there a picture of that?

THERE IS!

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
I don't believe this is a question of degree, sorry. My opinion is what it is and that is all I wished to say really.
You can use all the arguments you like in defence of freedom of speech, worship, behaviour etc, but this really isn't about that. This is simply immoral, and I use the word in the non-religious sense.
When one uses these defences, it is almost invariably concluded with the codicil that "as long as you do not hurt others" right? Well, I am afraid then that this defence falls at the first hurdle, in my opinion, of course.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Go figure.

You make a very good point. It does indeed nurture the environment of infidelity, but the whole purpose of the site was to make sure those who cheat do not get caught and therefore erode the chain and ball of marriage.

People have been disloyal to their partners way before this site came along, and would continue to do so even if it no longer existed. John F.Kennedy would of been a golden member if it existed back then.

Cigarettes and alcohol have destroyed the family unit as well. Yet, people seem okay with allowing these businesses to exist and continue to operate.

I just think it is more important that a company that actually encourages, by extension, the breakdown of society be brought to a halt...

If you truly believe that, then Ashley Madison is the least of your concerns. There are much bigger fish to fry....

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

In order for a government to legislate morality it would have to be moral. I know of no such cases. The moral arbiter here is a group of hackers who, in my opinion, have demonstrated a clearer understanding of the good of society than any government, in this area.

Like I said, just my opinion.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join