It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New World Order, No Freedom of Religion: Some Christians are threatening to burn a statue of Satan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

They will be erecting a Baphomet statue here in Detroit soon. Theyve been having booths at some of the local festivals as well: The Satanic Temple.

Whereas I and the wife are Christians...we are conflicted about their right as Americans to do this.

1st time seeing their booths, we were certainly shocked...dismayed at them even...but how do we all support rights...while not allowing some to erect statues, or removing flags?

My initial and immediate impression was surprise and shock...and one of the 1st signs these are the end times...but, I guess they have the right to express themselves.

MS
Christian
edit on 20-7-2015 by mysterioustranger because: splck

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Awolscout

Christians are the planets biggest joke at this point.

I just want everyone to notice the double standard here. If I were to use the exact same language concerning black people or gay people, I'd get a post ban.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: Awolscout

Christians are the planets biggest joke at this point.

I just want everyone to notice the double standard here. If I were to use the exact same language concerning black people or gay people, I'd get a post ban.

Being a Christian is a choice. Being gay or black isn't.

I doubt if you'd be post banned if you said any of the following.

"Democrats are the planets biggest joke at this point."
"Republicans are the planets biggest joke at this point."
"Zionists are the planets biggest joke at this point."
"Satanists are the planets biggest joke at this point."
"Atheists are the planets biggest joke at this point."

edit on 20-7-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I read a "Freudian Slip" in Your post.. Are You a Game of Thrones™ fan?? Want to 'Stanist' become King??

hahahahaha

I think He should 'burn in Hades' (pun intended) for sacrificing His daughter...

namaste

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Never seen the show! Hmmm....seems I missed the double entendre. Did an eagle just fly in the room, because something just went over my head!

ETA: Edited to Satanists.

edit on 20-7-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
While this is not the way "Christians" as a whole act, this is a perfect example of freedom of speech/religion. In fact, dare I say 'the main point of the statue in the first place'.
But to claim that "Christians are stoopid" because of this article is disingenuous at best.

While it's a silly thing to do (spend money on a statue to Balphomet) it's the right of that group to do so, and to display it publicly, given the perimeters of other displays, is guaranteed by the constitution. It matters not that most who look at it will snicker at the childish "tit for tat" manner it was meant for. Luckily, the constitution allows for silly folks to have a say too.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
How does one "burn down" a statue?
Is it paper mache?
A tree stump carved with a chain saw or whittled by hand?

Most "statues" are bronze. Some are marble or granite. That stuff doesn't "burn". To my knowledge.

I just had a vision of book-burnings returning to us. Whole libraries...even the Library of Congress.

There are certainly enough zealots alive now that I can easily imagine a state (or even the federal) legislature raiding homes for 'blasphemous' books; destroying warehouses holding textbooks, or publishing houses...and ruining the whole lot.

Same as those monster ISIS guys destroying world heritage sites.
So utterly ignorant.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I believe in Jesus.

I also believe in freedom of speech. But furthermore, I believe in Jesus INTENSELY. That is to say that if the end be nigh, then let it come. I fear no evil.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
If I had to guess, the outrage has it's root not out of a desire to suppress sincere worship (although as a Christian I find the idea of worshipping the adversary of God to be ... frankly abhorrent, but I can't stop you) but because they aren't at a place where they see this raising of Baphomet as an thing of sincere worship. Since the raising of Baphomet was first proposed by the Satanists as a gesture to go alongside the 10 Commandments, it felt more a like a gesture of mockery and contempt than it did a gesture of actual reverence for Satan or the Founding principle of freedom of religion.

So I think there is a good deal of anger and suspicion that this is the same. They aren't worshipping the Baphomet, only raising it to intentionally provoke anger and mock Christians because they can. It might be a lot less inflammatory if it were clear this were actually a revered symbol they intended to worship.

After all, how often do Christians move to block sites of worship for other religions? It doesn't actually happen often outside of a few well-publicized instances.

There is also the implication that Satan worship is worshipping evil, whether Satanists run around doing evil or not. That is at the root of who Satan is.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The reasons for the statue being raised are irrelevant. Christians don't get to dictate the actions of Satanists, even IF the Satanists are trying to troll them by exposing hypocrisy.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Did I SAY anything about them blocking anything?

I was explaining where the aggression likely stems from - a perceived attack.

When someone attacks you in a way, do you not also respond? I think you do. I've seen it.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

When I get attacked or trolled, I don't start making public declarations to go out and break laws to get revenge though.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

When I get attacked or trolled, I don't start making public declarations to go out and break laws to get revenge though.

How can I explain this clearer to you?

Basically, it's like the Satanists are playing Pharisee. Using the letter of the law to make a mockery and a point. The hostility stems from that. It's like atheists demanding equal space at a holiday display just so they can post a display that mocks all people of faith for having faith. The atheists don't actually have any beliefs, or that's what they claim. So they don't actually need to have space at a holiday display because the holiday holds no religious significance for them. They only demanded the space to use the letter of the law to mock believers.

These Christians likely feel this Baphomet statue is coming from the same place. They likely don't feel the Satanists are serious in their worship because the original intent of the statue was to use the letter of the law to mock, not as an actual expression of faith on the part of the Satanists.

Wrongly or rightly, that's where I see most of the hostility coming from - they feel like they are being attacked and mocked for being who and what they are. It may not make their response correct, but I understand the impulse. Everything in today's society is geared to mock people of sincere faith.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme

The Satanic Temple will soon be unveiling the statue of Baphomet that was originally intended for Oklahoma — until the state Supreme Court ruled that a Ten Commandments monument had to be removed from capitol grounds — or at least, they will be if the Christian groups threatening it don’t “burn it down” first.

Greaves believes that Dearing backed out because of pressure from local Christian groups — pressure that would make any venue wary of hosting the unveiling. “IT IS EVERY CHRISTIAN’S DUTY TO DESTROY THIS IF YOU SEE IT DESTROY THIS STATUE DESTROY THIS STATUE DESTROY THIS STATUE” reads one Facebook post Greaves provided to Mehta. “Let’s burn the statue down!” reads another.

“It never occurred to us that some random Pastor, of whom we had no previous knowledge, would believe it our duty to ask his permission for us to hold our own private, ticketed event,” co-founder Greaves told Salon. “Clearly, the burden of ‘reaching out’ was on him if he cared to engage in an informed dialogue before organizing protests against us, spreading misinformation about our activities, and calling for our event to be shut down.”

- www.salon.com...

What do you think about this? .

Troll post...... SOS..meaningless.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme

The Satanic Temple will soon be unveiling the statue of Baphomet that was originally intended for Oklahoma — until the state Supreme Court ruled that a Ten Commandments monument had to be removed from capitol grounds — or at least, they will be if the Christian groups threatening it don’t “burn it down” first.

Greaves believes that Dearing backed out because of pressure from local Christian groups — pressure that would make any venue wary of hosting the unveiling. “IT IS EVERY CHRISTIAN’S DUTY TO DESTROY THIS IF YOU SEE IT DESTROY THIS STATUE DESTROY THIS STATUE DESTROY THIS STATUE” reads one Facebook post Greaves provided to Mehta. “Let’s burn the statue down!” reads another.

“It never occurred to us that some random Pastor, of whom we had no previous knowledge, would believe it our duty to ask his permission for us to hold our own private, ticketed event,” co-founder Greaves told Salon. “Clearly, the burden of ‘reaching out’ was on him if he cared to engage in an informed dialogue before organizing protests against us, spreading misinformation about our activities, and calling for our event to be shut down.”

- www.salon.com...

What do you think about this? .

Troll post...... SOS..meaningless.

DP.....

edit on 20-7-2015 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

It doesn't matter if they erect a statue to worship it or not though. Maybe their religion doesn't require worshiping of statues in the first place. Or maybe they're just erecting it because they think it looks cool. What difference does it make???

Christians aren't supposed to be worshiping any statues either. That would be idolatry.

Christians protest other religions actions all the time. There is always a group of them protesting a Mosque or some Islamic gathering or whatever. Why is it different when Christians mock and protest others but when they get a little taste of it back it's some kind of big event and deemed offensive??? They don't seem to care when they offend others so why should they expect any different in return??

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Christians do this, Christians do that... Tsk tsk... That's a massive generalisation if I ever heard one. I believe, but I have never protested outside a mosque, or interfered with anyone's freedom to worship whatever they choose.

I am all about free will.

I am not the only one either!

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Christians do this, Christians do that... Tsk tsk... That's a massive generalisation if I ever heard one. I believe, but I have never protested outside a mosque, or interfered with anyone's freedom to worship whatever they choose.

I am all about free will.

I am not the only one either!

I didn't say ALL Christians did I??? I didn't say you personally either. Do I really need to prefix every statement about Christians with "Some" for you to know the difference???

Don't even imply that Christians aren't constantly protesting the actions of other religions either because you know they do. Not all of them but I didn't say all of them. But there are almost always at least a few of them at every event protesting something they don't like be it abortion, Islam, Satan Statues, Gay Marriage, Supreme Court Rulings, Birth Control, Atheists, etc.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

No. You do not need to prefix every statement about Christians with the word some, just so that I understand what you mean. You need to do that, because then your statement is accurate, and not a generalisation. Its nothing to do with me, and everything to do with accurate use of the language we all agree to speak around here!

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
When are people going to stop speaking on others behalf?

Stop saying stupid things like 'Christians this' 'Sartanists that'. No one, I'll say that again, NO ONE, knows what anyone else is thinking or intending. For anyone to say "Christians are this" "Satanists are that" only reveals a striking lack of judgement on their part and shame on them for doing so.

Just leave people ALONE. Don't give me the shtick of 'oh they're doing it' because that's a cop out. Just pack it in, full stop. Let us faithful have faith, let the non faithful do as they wish. We're all individuals. To generalise anything is utterly ridiculous and asinine.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join