It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark Attacks Surfer..Lucky Guy.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Just saw this a few minutes ago. This is one lucky guy. looks Hungry enough. Guy doesn't seem that fazed by it at all.

Shark Attacks Mick Fanning at World world surf league.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I've watching the highlights and still in shock. This happened during a world title surf contest in South Africa.

Amazing that Mick was not injured, you have to wonder if his brother was looking out for him.

Mick Fanning is a 3 time world champion and with no argument one of the best surfers on this planet.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Wow that's a lucky escape. The thing is, if you're watching from the beach, there's not alot you can do about it. There have been alot of shark attacks lately for some reason. I think there's a thread on ATS about it somewhere.
Kicking and moving about is the only thing he could have done.

You can't stay out of the water forever so what do you do? Tough one.

He's a lucky lad.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
South Africa??????????? I wont even go the water up by my waist at Burnt Island.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Youtube has a few clips of the attack. Still amazing Mick was not hurt.

edit on 19-7-2015 by jrod because: [o

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Surfers are the best of planet. Loved his honesty. Glad he lives to surf another day.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Two Sharks..? Yeah, Competition cancelled for me.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
He got really lucky that it went for the board and didn't grab him.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Looks like it came in slow for a taste test. Had it determined the guy was a food source he would not have made it back to shore. That dorsal fin was massive had to have been a decent size shark, atleast 15ft.
edit on 19-7-2015 by AlongCamePaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Only one that went after Mick from what I saw. That initial interview with the tournament director may not have had the best information.

It was the finals after the quarters and semis ran without incident earlier in the day.

The competition was canceled and Julian Wilson and Mick Fanning will split the points and money for 1st and 2nd.

I've surfed in the shark attack capital of the world in New Smyrna, Florida and have had more encounters than I can remember with sharks, surfing and spear fishing. However this is South Africa and a great white can kill a man with just one bite.

I am very thankful that Mick is alright.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I started surfing in the 60's. I have seen 4-5 sharks in the water over a span, last time was a great white (although my surf buddy didn't think so) I'm sure Mick has seen way, way more. He showed great control and also lost his only defense, his board, since the shark severed his leash (extremely resilient rubber) and the board got nudged away. Instead of going after the board he bee-lined it towards shore probably hoping for a quick body surf out of danger, smart choice.

Jetski's helped scare the critter off. Mick is one of the best.
(I longboard)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
South Africa??????????? I wont even go the water up by my waist at Burnt Island.

If that area has bull sharks, only going in up to your waist is no guarantee.

They come right in and can take you if they feel the situation is right and they want to test you out.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

He was probably also counting on a quick pickup since he was in a crowded situation with lots of people who were going to be able to get to him quickly. Most times a surfer isn't going to have that many eyes and that many boats, jetskis and other things in the water with him to help him out.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

was reading the article on this...looks like his competition went back to try and save him...what character that guy had

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
If there's one emotion that surfers plainly understand and endeavor to master, it's fear.

There's nothing like surfing and a love affair with an indifferent woman such as mother nature, to help an individual achieve the highest levels of raw courage.

edit on 19-7-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seasoul

The level of commitment, skill, and risk to surf a wave that is breaking almost on top of dry reef like that is insane.

What happened today at Jeffery's Bay is something that will not be forgotten. I think made dash toward shore because the shark was interested in his board after his leg rope snapped, and he quickly went the other direction. It is also something that Julian Wilson paddled straight for Mick even though he was well aware of the shark.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
That's not just any surfer, that's Mick Fanning!

Man that was Sketchy! I'm so happy Mick is ok! Holy cow.

I doubt they were thinking they were gonna have to bust out the shark rule, lol.

I had a close call with a tiger shark while surfing in Kauai, can't stop though. That's how beautiful and powerful surfing is to the soul. You can encounter one of the most terrifying situations imaginable and will still come back for more undeterred

ETA: I probably wouldn't paddle out at the same spot. The size of that fin?! That must have been unreal up close. I could understand quitting competitive surfing after that.....besides with the world going crazy like it is, it seems like even the sharks are all being d!cks!

edit on 19-7-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

was reading the article on this...looks like his competition went back to try and save him...what character that guy had

What would you do though? If it were you being attacked, what would you hope all the other guys out there would be doing? You would be hoping they'd be coming to cover you as best they could because they know it could just as easily be them in trouble. It's the same impulse that sends the bystander into the burning building or raging river to try to save someone.

It's basic human empathy.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

To reach Fanning's level of expertise, one has to be almost fearless, if there is such a thing. A big wave will unintentionally kill you, a shark on the other hand will premeditatively kill you. There's a difference, and with that it brings a different kind of fear, more profound.

Sooner or later though, we all gotta go.

In the mean time live courageously, and when the time comes try to die courageously as well.

edit on 19-7-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

What would you do though? If it were you being attacked, what would you hope all the other guys out there would be doing? You would be hoping they'd be coming to cover you as best they could because they know it could just as easily be them in trouble. It's the same impulse that sends the bystander into the burning building or raging river to try to save someone.

It's basic human empathy.

Well I can assure you from experience as a soldier in some fun places....not everyone reacts...but seeing that you would and I would as well...lets go surfing!
edit on 19-7-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join