It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's storm

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Annee

That storm was nothing.

That's what I thought.

It barely lasted a day, a few hours.

I've seen huge storms here that last for days. Not like AZ in monsoon season, but we've had storms.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I'm not in or near SoCa and I don't doubt your experiences as you are way closer to the tropical Mexico waters than I. But this is truly a first for my area, since 1962 anyway...

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

We do have storms in this area, just not in excess of 12 hours nonstop thunder, lightning and winless rain. Last serious storm here was in 1969.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I'm not in or near SoCa and I don't doubt your experiences as you are way closer to the tropical Mexico waters than I. But this is truly a first for my area, since 1962 anyway...

The hugest storms I remember are from my childhood in the 50s. Or, maybe they just seemed bigger cuz I was a kid.

But, I did have property practically wiped out in Madera County a few years back from torrent rain storms.

edit on 19-7-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Well I am 53 and lived here on Central Coast my entire life.

This is the 19th of July...SUMMER....not fall or winter.

Truly bizarre!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Some of the worst storms I've encountered have been summer storms. The thermals from the hot ground cause increased instability in the air wedge the storm develops making them worse.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

No doubt in various areas in the country. I've heard about a few and experienced a couple while driving thru Wyoming in my early 20s in August.

Just not here in my little part of this world.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Our climate is changing. Apparently its also changing in the rest of the universe as well.

I just can't get into any kind of conspiracy thinking on weather changes.

I'd say its both cyclical and affected by mans abuse.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Worst storm you have experienced since 1969?

Right now there looks to be some tropical moisture/instability California is experiencing from the remnant low pressure system that used to be a hurricane.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I live in downtown Los Angeles (5th & Spring) and all day yesterday and last night it was almost unbelievable. It reminded me of growing up back in northwestern Ohio, near Toledo. I'd love to find a way to get one of those storms about once a week. Keep it up all year and we'd make progress against the drought.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The thunder was very powerful, a lot louder than normal. My Cat was having a bad one. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This talk about the El Nino being like '98 has me worried a bit. I lost damn near everything I owned in the flood of '98. We've all ready had some very significant rainfall and major flooding here in south Texas this spring. To quote my favorite pilot/smuggler/space ne'er-do-well, "I've got a bad feeling about this. Chewie..."
edit on 19-7-2015 by quercusrex because: spelling

edit on 19-7-2015 by quercusrex because: spelling, again... crap. sry.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AquaDuck

I live in downtown Los Angeles (5th & Spring) and all day yesterday and last night it was almost unbelievable. It reminded me of growing up back in northwestern Ohio, near Toledo. I'd love to find a way to get one of those storms about once a week. Keep it up all year and we'd make progress against the drought.

Wow! You really are downtown.

My whole family, both sides is from Toledo. I'm very thankful, my dad was stationed in Oakland and they never went back

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I am very familiar with the climate in my area of Ca considering I have lived it for 53 years. Here, we have never had the thunder, lightning, pouring rain for hours and hours...without wind. Our storms normally are wind driven. Ive been in 70 mph winds with rain here. Its the windlessness along with the intensity and duration of the thunderstorming that is very odd for my area. I am 15 minutes from the Pacific Ocean, 2 mountain ranges from Madera, and more than 6 hours from Long Beach, Ca.

We just had a weather event that is the talk of the county. Blue skies appear with huge puffy, dark clouds now and this clearing started appx. 90 mins ago. People are comparing storm stories in their neighborhoods.

I realize this is a no biggie to many of you, I get that. But what we just experienced was recordbreaking here.

It is estimated we received over 2.5 inches of rain in the last 15 hours. We have no standing water in our pastures.
All soaked in. Everything smells clean , looks green. For this reason alone, the lack of sleep was worth it!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This rain in calif is from the former Former Hurricane Dolores.

I have seen these every few years hit the calif desert.

Monsoon + Hurricane = a lot of rain in small scattered areas of southern calif.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
really? You never remember a storm that hard? I find it funny when people, usually those who promote climate change and global warming, say things have never been like this...I'm only in my 30s and I remember bad droughts, bad rains, lightning, hot winters, and cold summers. This summer is an el nino summer. There is a tropical storm coming up from Mexico which is normal. This years el nino season is shaping up to be similar to the early 90s, when there was lots of rains and storms in central and northern CA and also LOTS of flooding. I remember the president touring parts of Sacramento because the flooding was so bad! Weather happens in cycles...sometimes these cycles are 5, 10, 20, even 100 year cycles....but this is normal, and the farmers almanac predicted a pretty mild summer and wet winter for this year

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
After 5 or 6 years of drought conditions, 47 inches of rain, mostly in march thru june. TS Bill 11.5 inches in 2 days.

I'm pretty happy with those big old TStorms that rolled through here for months.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
world is changing.. huge thunderstorms in cali and EQs in Oklahoma Thats a little assbackwards..

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

Anyone else experience this Ca weather event?

You in Bakersfield? It was a piddly sprinkle. But it did get some of the dirt out of the air.

You ought to try out the ones we get in Florida, if you found this one all eldritch and eerie.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Yeah I watched that huge system come pass by vegas and not drop any rain at all which was weird so I'm assuming it finally built up and dumped it all down there.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join