It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members, don't scuttle your own boat!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: cody599

At the end of the day it's just words on a screen

I wish posters wouldn't think this way, it makes it easier to justify being a jerk, or making people upset for entertainment purposes. Just because it's the Internet doesn't mean you shouldn't hold yourself to the same standards as you would in the real world.

link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Call their attitude out with your next post in an adult mature manner and then walk away from it

And there is the key,
I have found this to be the best approach short of alerting a mod.
That is where slapping your own fingers comes into play, as getting the final word in can be hard not to do.

link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

So where do we draw the line in the sand?

I've made mistakes in the past and I've apologized. However people like myself who wear their heart on their sleeves have the right to get upset (within reason of course.) So how do we determine what is a thinly veiled insult or an outright slander?

If you ask a stupid question you then deserve a stupid answer, so who is in the wrong? that line in the sand gets finer every year.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
a reply to: Bone75

As do I, it is a very nasty yet purposeful thing to do.

Today is a sad day for me as far as ATS is concerned for a couple of reasons.

Have you used the complaint button?
If things aren't immediately addressed rest assured it will be.
No single staff member makes decisions on their own.
We consult as a group to determine whether or not action is warranted.
Democracy is slow but it's as close to fairness as you can get.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: I said "are" instead of "aren't". Preview would have caught that, lol.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
Who was banned? Or am I gonna get banned for asking?

Very good question!
That is an issue that members are not allowed to discuss.
If they are gone, they're gone.
Talking about them serves no useful purpose and they aren't around to defend their words or actions.
Those are the reasons we cannot discuss members who have been banned.
There are many that I miss and years later I still don't know what happened.
It's a good rule though and one to keep in mind.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I'm guiltier than most, I suppose. Surprised I'm still here.

As the world becomes more divided, I honestly anticipate more heated "debates" than fewer.

But I'll try to behave.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
No doubt about it, emotions are running high lately.

And over what ?!

Things that will sail off into the abyss in a week or two or three when the MSM brings yet another trivial crisis to the front pages and pushes the previous one to the backburner. And around and around it goes... *yawn*

If someone is pushing your buttons just remember it's nothing but words on a screen coming from someone who has no direct impact on your life... So take a deep breath, put your hands in your pocket, and walk away from the keyboard.

Someone else's snippy derogative remarks are not worth losing one's account and/or temporary posting privileges on ATS.

Very wise words.
It's also not worth ruining your day over.
Just words on a screen.....

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

a reply to: Bone75

As do I, it is a very nasty yet purposeful thing to do.

Today is a sad day for me as far as ATS is concerned for a couple of reasons.

Have you used the complaint button?
If things are immediately addressed rest assured it will be.
No single staff member makes decisions on their own.
We consult as a group to determine whether or not action is warranted.
Democracy is slow but it's as close to fairness as you can get.

On a few rare occasions yes.

In the circumstances I was reffering to though I would just as likley alert you guys to a member being baited and loosing control so tend not to bother in case you get the wrong man by mistake

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

I have found this to be the best approach short of alerting a mod.
That is where slapping your own fingers comes into play, as getting the final word in can be hard not to do.

Yes, I find that approach usually works like a charm without the need to call a referee into the play. I personally hate alerting the mods to something unless it's an outright necessity because of the nature of the matter.

It's oober tough to bite one's lip and walk away (been there done that too many times to count), but I find it actually does works like a charm.

The funny thing is, after you've stepped away from the situation and had time to cool your jets, you realize that it was nothing but trivial garbage anyways.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaws1975

I wish posters wouldn't think this way, it makes it easier to justify being a jerk, or making people upset for entertainment purposes. Just because it's the Internet doesn't mean you shouldn't hold yourself to the same standards as you would in the real world.

It's great advice for how we should perceive what others write.
But the complete opposite of how we should approach what we post, remember it will be here for eternity.
Don't make posts you will feel badly about later.
No law says you must hit the reply button.
Countless times I have written a post only to delete it after previewing it and reading it back to myself.
Preview is a great thing to keep you from sounding ill-informed as well as helping you organize your thoughts more concisely.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

edit on 19-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

So where do we draw the line in the sand?

I've made mistakes in the past and I've apologized. However people like myself who wear their heart on their sleeves have the right to get upset (within reason of course.) So how do we determine what is a thinly veiled insult or an outright slander?

If you ask a stupid question you then deserve a stupid answer, so who is in the wrong? that line in the sand gets finer every year.

This is precisely why staff makes decisions on a case-by-case basis.
We look for severity of insult and patterns in the poster's behavior that either reinforce the idea they are trolling or that it was just a bad day for them and said something they usually wouldn't.
You will be treated as an individual here and your record and reputation do make a difference.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Yep.

Well put.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You're not a bad bunny Beeze, just cranky some days.
I know I would miss you if you weren't here.
Does that help?

My last reply for a while.
Need to do some Rl stuffs.
Thanks for everyone's replies!

edit on 19-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I like to debate with posters that have an opposing viewpoint, problem is most of the time there is derisive, negative pot shots thrown out to reinforce their perceived truths. I wish the debates could be had in the same way we do it in person. I've never had someone call me stupid, whack job, crazy nutter, etc to my face.

I came to ats to discuss and learn, unfortunately I found there to be more arguing than discussing when it comes to sensitive topics. Hell, read any chemtrail thread to see proof of that.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaws1975
a reply to: cody599

I'll hold my ground here as much as any other member

I refuse however to go to bed angry because of something that somebody I never met, that doesn't know me or my morals and principals, typed out.

I have friends here on ATS that are genuinely like a family to me, their opinion matters to me, but some random member I've no idea who they are ?

Nah I'm not getting wound up over that

Cody

Missed out not LOL
edit on 19/7/15 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I understand that rule totally...but some members are missed...one comes to the top of my mind often. You know a great thread idea would be to honor the lost members...in a positive way regardless how they went out.

Like the one guy who liked seeing rocks on mars haha...
edit on 19-7-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
Who was banned? Or am I gonna get banned for asking?

Very good question!
That is an issue that members are not allowed to discuss.
If they are gone, they're gone.
Talking about them serves no useful purpose and they aren't around to defend their words or actions.
Those are the reasons we cannot discuss members who have been banned.
There are many that I miss and years later I still don't know what happened.
It's a good rule though and one to keep in mind.

It reminds me of "Wayward Pines."

Don't ask questions!!
Don't talk about the past!!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
@asktheanimals
Thank you! Im happy to have joined. I haven't posted enough yet to fully interact with others so I am still testing the waters. I fully intend to stay open minded and respectful. So I hope to get similar in return.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

After 7 years I've seen a cycle where otherwise good members get too personally involved in topics to remain objective about what and how they post.

So true and so sad! I have noticed this cycle IN myself and others. I have so much passion about some topics that sometimes, my judgement isn't as good as other times, and I feel frustrated and angry. I'm definitely more likely to want to insult someone at those times.

Great thread!

it seems to me that as time goes by more people are becoming rigid in their beliefs.

This means that instead of having threads where people can discuss possibilities they simply become another battleground for different factions that have to intention of ever changing there view point regardless of what is put forward.

I agree SO much! We are all very divided and rigid in our beliefs. The best times I have on ATS are when I get involved in a discussion with someone who has diametrically-opposed beliefs and we have a CIVIL debate and end up finding some common ground, even though our beliefs don't change. We come out of it with respect for each other, because we stuck with the T&Cs and spoke respectfully to each other. That's ATS gold to me.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Yup. Computers have an off switch for a reason. So do modems.

Personally, for some years, I made a concerted effort to avoid "tit for tat" discussions online. I make my point. If I feel I need to clarify, I may take another bite from the apple. But I try to stop there.

Occasionally, I'll go a bit farther. But mostly I stick to this. And it's made my Internet life much more enjoyable.

And, more importantly, I think it makes my arguments stronger. YMMV.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join