It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members, don't scuttle your own boat!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I'm seeing something lately that's been troubling me - namely members getting themselves caught up in personal attacks on other members and finding themselves banned at the end of the day. After 7 years I've seen a cycle where otherwise good members get too personally involved in topics to remain objective about what and how they post. It would seem there are more than a few hot button topics that people find themselves in arguments that become personal and vindictive.

I realize it can be difficult to master one's emotions and keep them from creeping into responses. I hate to see members caught up in negativity and disappearing from our community. I'm saying this because I genuinely value everyone's opinion no matter how different it may be from my own.

Sometimes it's just best to walk away from an argument rather than turn up the heat in reply. It's important to remember to keep separate the member from the position or idea that you don't like. All too often we fall for using superlatives like "the real truth" or "actual fact" or stoop to degrading others by implying that "only a fool would believe such and such". Their political affiliations and leanings are not what's relevant, it's the substance of their post. Yet at the end of the day what's most is important is that are people just like ourselves, regardless of their opinions.

Respect other members, debate don't berate. Take a break if you must. We are a real community here, not a drive-by opinion blog where anything goes. Treat others with the same respect you want for yourself. I hate to see members leave us and feel badly for their experience. It doesn't have to be that way, especially if read the Terms and Conditions and take them to heart.

I am very glad that each and every one of you are here and I thank you for the wit, wisdom and variety of opinions that enlarge my world view. I hope that all of you will stay around and continue to grow as the best community on the internet.

Cheers,
Asktheanimals

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I completely agree but what about certain members who purposely goad the aforementioned members into an emotional response, surely this needs to be addressed also?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Thank you! It happens on every forum I have ever been on. There are so many subjects that so many people feel are worth severing a connection with another by having a critical differing opinion. I've been able to shut down trolls on c/l by telling them their opinion is valid but they don't have to turn it into something personal and vindictive.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I find myself in a love/hate relationship with the ATS crowd. On one hand I see many members that use logic and reason in their posts to relay a point which has helped me to grow and sometimes change my opinion. On-the-other-hand, there are those who seemingly only exist to create dissent and coax/cajole people into frustration by either repeating things ad-nauseam that have already been reasonably explained or by simply spewing hate and sarcasm.

I have been guilty of a fair dose of sarcasm during my relatively short time posting here and again wonder why I don't just read again instead of post. I came with the hopes of providing insight on some topics that I have a career of knowledge in only to find that many ideologues here do not care about the truth. It gets frustrating and it is also frustrating to understand what exactly is within or outside the T&C as the application of said T&C is so disproportionately applied (personal opinion & personal observation).
edit on 19-7-2015 by notmyrealname because: spelling

edit on 19-7-2015 by notmyrealname because: more spelling, damn typing in the dark

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

At the end of the day it's just words on a screen

Perspective............................. Use it or lose it

And remember

Cody

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

s&f

I've watched this happen to many members, some long time members,
and then I come across an old post from them and see they are gone,
and then remember why they left, and it bums me out that it was due to letting emotions get the best of them somewhere within ATS's pages. Self control goes a long way.

This is a good reminder for everyone, including myself as things have been heated on ATS over many issues lately,
and sometimes it is hard to slap your own fingers and stop yourself from getting to wrapped up in it.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMadTitan

I completely agree but what about certain members who purposely goad the aforementioned members into an emotional response, surely this needs to be addressed also?

I second that.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

As do I, it is a very nasty yet purposeful thing to do.

Today is a sad day for me as far as ATS is concerned for a couple of reasons.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

That was addressed beautifully years ago on ATS with the wonderful "ignore" button.
Anyone remember that?

If you got trolled or if people were being idiots,you could click the ignore button by their name,and then BAM-they dissapeared from your ATS like magic.

I liked that option-rarely used it,but great to be able to on the odd occasion it was neccesary.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
a reply to: Bone75

As do I, it is a very nasty yet purposeful thing to do.

Today is a sad day for me as far as ATS is concerned for a couple of reasons.

Who was banned? Or am I gonna get banned for asking? And I agree with some of the others in here...you have long time members who have built up a reputation...that doesn't have to mean they are better than everyone but when someone comes in their first day and picks a fight it looks suspicious. The other day there was someone starting new accounts over and over...it could have been different people which is even more worrisome. They made some bizarre threads...then spammed like 6 ebola threads...etc.

I barely post any more because of the stupidity here from both mods and members...mainly lurk and talk with a few friends.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

It does get addressed so long as staff notices or someone makes a complaint.
That's why were here.

- I just had to use that.
I respect our moderator staff here immensely.
These people do an amazing job of keeping things rolling along smoothly.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Miznchops
Thank you! It happens on every forum I have ever been on. There are so many subjects that so many people feel are worth severing a connection with another by having a critical differing opinion. I've been able to shut down trolls on c/l by telling them their opinion is valid but they don't have to turn it into something personal and vindictive.

You know the secret then!
It's all about respect.
By the way - welcome to ATS.
I'm sure you will find it a different experience than any other site on the web.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
No doubt about it, emotions are running high lately.

And over what ?!

Things that will sail off into the abyss in a week or two or three when the MSM brings yet another trivial crisis to the front pages and pushes the previous one to the backburner. And around and around it goes... *yawn*

If someone is pushing your buttons just remember it's nothing but words on a screen coming from someone who has no direct impact on your life... So take a deep breath, put your hands in your pocket, and walk away from the keyboard.

Someone else's snippy derogative remarks are not worth losing one's account and/or temporary posting privileges on ATS.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

it seems to me that as time goes by more people are becoming rigid in their beliefs.

This means that instead of having threads where people can discuss possibilities they simply become another battleground for different factions that have to intention of ever changing there view point regardless of what is put forward.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I am unsure as to if I should be saying this here but there seems to be a growing trend of carrying over arguments from one thread to another.

I have seen many instances of a member making a thread only to be attacked by a select few over statements made in other threads, this would wind me up no end.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Sarcasm and cynicism are all part of communication, just take care to make it plain when using such and everything is cool. Trust me when I say that any well written, thoughtful post will be read by others. You don't always get stars on your post but the idea gets through.

Personal expertise is always a great asset here. People come to recognize where other members have expertise and will look to them to expand what they know.

As for the T&Cs their simple so far as interaction with other members. The only confusing part can be about copyright, how much one can copy from a source and what's ok to link. If you have a question ask me or another Mod for guidance, we're always happy to help you navigate your way around.

I think you'll find ATS has more to offer than any other site.
Just pick a few favorite topics and use the search function.
There's an incredible wealth of knowledge lurking around.

Thanks for the reply!

edit on 19-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I have seen many instances of a member making a thread only to be attacked by a select few over statements made in other threads, this would wind me up no end.

But that's my point, why allow some other schmuck to 'wind you up to no end' ?

They're not worth it, they're being childish and incessant, and they don't put the food in your mouth and the roof over your head.

Why on earth would you lower yourself to their level ? Call their attitude out with your next post in an adult mature manner and then walk away from it, no matter what their following response to yours is after that.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: cody599

At the end of the day it's just words on a screen

Perspective............................. Use it or lose it

And remember

Cody

OOh, Im grabbing that.
Right to the core Cody, respect.
Thanks bro

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

It does get addressed so long as staff notices or someone makes a complaint.
That's why were here.

- I just had to use that.
I respect our moderator staff here immensely.
These people do an amazing job of keeping things rolling along smoothly.

Again, agreed. Yes the blatantly disrespectful posts do get reported and dealt with, as they should.

I'm talking about the people who who are well articulated and cleverly compile their posts to ridicule and make fun of the OP without actually breaking T&C's per se. For example, if a thread has a far out idea, a sensible approach would be to present the facts opposing the argument in the OP without attempting to draw an emotional response by writing something like: 'I believe your OP is flawed because i have discovered these photographs proving otherwise' as opposed to 'I think your OP is wrong because i have discovered these photographs proving otherwise, what a silly thread, where did you learn to research' etc.

Whilst not breaking T&C's they are still personally attacking, in my opinion anyway. Maybe i read too much into things but it pretty much boils down to showing little respect to fellow posters, as someone pointed out previously.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Sometimes the best way for me to remind myself of something important is to write it out.
I've found myself riding the line too close lately on certain subjects near and dear to my heart.
Winning an argument at the cost of hurting others is never worth it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join