It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China launches next Generation Internet (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   
China has launched the first " next generation Internet" system. From what i have read the system that they are planning is way faster than the Internet we use now. I'm no expert but i would imagine that means faster down and upload speeds, faster page loading and perhaps a more stable Internet structure? This looks like a leap forward in INTERNET technology as we know it. I don't know if this new Internet tech is currently being developed in the west yet, i imagine it is, but after China finishes its test we should know more then. Assuming the Chinese make the test data public. Also this will mean more IP addresses, at the moment the US controls about 70% of the IP addresses available, a fact i wasn't aware of.

story.news.yahoo.com

Dubbed CERNET2 (China Education and Research Network), the new backbone network connects 25 universities in 20 cities.

Officials claim top transmission speeds of 2.5 to 10 gigabits per second, with a trial connecting schools in Beijing and Tianjin reaching 40 gigabits per second. Coverage is expected to expand to 100 universities in the near future.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Does this mean that China is now ahead in the area of Internet technology? Is this a significant step forward?
Seems that the Chinese are pretty on the ball with this and maybe it could have a major impact on Internet technology across the world.
I'm not an expert but i thought there would be some people on ATS who would be interested.

EDIT: Edit by request of ATSNN

Related News Links:
www.chinadaily.com.cn
www.hangzhou.com.cn
english.sohu.com

[edit on 28-12-2004 by Janus]

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
IPv6 is nothing new, also 2.5 to 10 gigabits per second isnt that mindblowing fast. Earleir this month, European ISP's Alcatel/France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom experimented with their existing fiber link in France Telecom's network: they achieved 1 Terabit per second. (1,000 Gb/s)
www.francetelecom.com...

Another ISP experimented with Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM) fiber optics technology, and achieved a speed of 6.4 Tb/s

In 2001, a Japanese company, NTT, had developed a multiplexer that will allow optical fibers to transmit data at 10 terabit/sec.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Has it been tested in Europe on the scale that the Chinese are proposing? How stable would a system like that be? As a workable system would the Chinese system be much better than the Internet we use now?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to this kind of stuff, i just spotted the story and though some people would be interested in it.

Edit: spell check

[edit on 28-12-2004 by Janus]

new topics

join